McCartney/ Wings - Band on the Run streaming Atmos February 2nd

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly we'll more likely to get it in Mono on an Edison Wax Cylinder
We desperately need a replacement for that ole DTS BOTR and if 'cute Beatle' Paul follows tradition*, don't be surprised if we do get a physical BD~A in ATMOS from Macca!

*release of Beatles' catalogue in ATMOS as well as BD~As from John and George!

Excited to hear the under dubbed mixes but disappointed the Atmos mixes are yet again relegated to streaming only. A shame as the Lennon camp are still pro Blu-ray.

I wonder why the McCartney Archive releases don’t feature stereo remixes (other than Tug of War out of necessity), something both Beatles and John Lennon releases have been doing.

Is "undubbed" what we are calling demos now....?
No. Demos are demos. Underdubs are from the actual multitracks with parts missing.

This is mostly because of the limited tracks available in the 60s and 70s (be it 4 tracks, 8 tracks, 16 tracks, etc) so some instruments had to be combined ("Bounced") later onto existing tracks. Underdubs are just the basic tracks without the additional instruments added.

If anything, I suppose you could call an underdub a different mix. But they are not demos.

Here's the "underdubbed" mix of the title cut.
Wow, that's pretty cool. It's easy to see why they added the parts and additional orchestration. The song is not only "underdubbed" it's also underwhelming compared to the original. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to add it to my collection, it's kind of reminds me of an "unplugged" version.

Is "undubbed" what we are calling demos now....?
These aren't "demos".

They are the tracks that were recorded in Lagos before they added overdubs later in London. In fact, these were mixed to stereo back in 1973 by Geoff Emerick, so I think there may have been consideration to release the album in this form. Tony Visconti has written of his only having 3 days, with no sleep, to get the orchestral arrangements completed in time to meet the release date for the album.

Just read this post at The Other Forum™ and thought it worth sharing here. The link below goes straight to his track-by-track capsule review so you can bypass that forum.

My account of the "Band on the Run" Dolby Atmos listening experience this morning... Enjoy and read until the end for a surprise!

Band on the Run on DOLBY ATMOS

Picture of Pinaxa Studio in Milan, where the official Universal listening took place:

Last edited:
Back