MKV Backup question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Hey team -

I have an issue with one of my BDA disks. It has a pretty bad looking crack that has developed right in the "hole" area. It plays just fine. But, it is clear that the strength of the disk has been compromised.

I'm using MakeMKV application and doing a complete backup of the disc. I don't really know what that means, or what I can do with it. My question is, can I take that backup and burn it to a blank disk and have that new disk work just like the BDA?

If yes, do I use Imageburn to do that? If yes, how? Please don't assume I understand all the terms/jargon (like image) and all that. I don't. I'm sure it's easy, I just don't.

:phones:LB

The "complete backup" option copies the entire contents of the Blu-Ray disc, video and audio, minus the copy protection. The folder it outputs will be something like 20 or 30 GB.

I've personally never dealt with BD-Rs or burning Blu-Ray images, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Cue up the folder in ImgBurn and see what happens.

Hey team -

I have an issue with one of my BDA disks. It has a pretty bad looking crack that has developed right in the "hole" area. It plays just fine. But, it is clear that the strength of the disk has been compromised.

I'm using MakeMKV application and doing a complete backup of the disc. I don't really know what that means, or what I can do with it. My question is, can I take that backup and burn it to a blank disk and have that new disk work just like the BDA?

If yes, do I use Imageburn to do that? If yes, how? Please don't assume I understand all the terms/jargon (like image) and all that. I don't. I'm sure it's easy, I just don't.

:phones:LB
I too would like to know about thisšŸ™‚

The "complete backup" option copies the entire contents of the Blu-Ray disc, video and audio, minus the copy protection. The folder it outputs will be something like 20 or 30 GB.

I've personally never dealt with BD-Rs or burning Blu-Ray images, but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Cue up the folder in ImgBurn and see what happens.
Hmm - I didn't see "complete backup", but I did see "backup", which is what I'm doing now. Same thing?
LOL! I see I said complete backup in my first post.......anyway.... :)

Once you have a backup you can access with any BD conversion software to create FLACs or MKV files for playback of lossless files. Many players can playback these backups just like it was on a disc. (Kodi is one)

Iā€™ve never attempted to put a backup onto a disc as I never play discs. You would need double layer BD discs to store more than 25GB.

Yeah, so, I don't have any blank BDA discs. Only DVD-V discs. I wanted to do a test run, so I load Queen - The Game DVD-A into MakeMKV......and nothing happens (like it normally does)

In other words, it loads the name of the disc, but the icon for "BACKUP" is gray. Meaning, I can't select it. Took that title out, put in Queen - A Night At The Opera...same outcome. Why can't I do a backup of these 2 DVD-Audios?

Yeah, so, I don't have any blank BDA discs. Only DVD-V discs. I wanted to do a test run, so I load Queen - The Game DVD-A into MakeMKV......and nothing happens (like it normally does)

In other words, it loads the name of the disc, but the icon for "BACKUP" is gray. Meaning, I can't select it. Took that title out, put in Queen - A Night At The Opera...same outcome. Why can't I do a backup of these 2 DVD-Audios?

Tried Fleetwood Mac - Rumors DVD-A and same outcome....the backup button won't light up. (second button from the left...directly under "View"

Once you have a backup you can access with any BD conversion software to create FLACs or MKV files for playback of lossless files. Many players can playback these backups just like it was on a disc. (Kodi is one)

Iā€™ve never attempted to put a backup onto a disc as I never play discs. You would need double layer BD discs to store more than 25GB.
Gos, once you have the full backup on your hard drive then yes, you can use imgburn to burn it to a blank BDA. In imgburn, select the option "write files/folders to disc". Select the folder you saved to with makemkv. Imgburn will recognise that you're writing a Bluray and set parameters accordingly. You'll definitely need a BDA50 if it's > 25gb.

I've only ever used DVDFab to copy DVD A discs. I'm not aware that Makemkv can handle them.

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk

Gos, once you have the full backup on your hard drive then yes, you can use imgburn to burn it to a blank BDA. In imgburn, select the option "write files/folders to disc". Select the folder you saved to with makemkv. Imgburn will recognise that you're writing a Bluray and set parameters accordingly. You'll definitely need a BDA50 if it's > 25gb.

I've only ever used DVDFab to copy DVD A discs. I'm not aware that Makemkv can handle them.

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk
Thanks for that! :)

MakeMKV canā€™t do DVDAs. I used to use DVDFab a while back for BD and DVDV and it couldnā€™t do DVDAs then. Good to hear itā€™s doing them now. (Itā€™s doing lossless MLP audio and not just the DVDV audio, right?)

As odd as it sounds. MakeMKV will not do disc backups of any DVDs, not just DVD-A. I have no idea why that decision was made.

I going to piggy-back on my own thread and ask another question about MakeMKV. know we have to paste in a new "key" every once in a while to keep our application happy. LINK TO SAID KEY

So, if I understand correctly, we basically cannot update our MakeMKV if we intend to use the key above...which states only works while in BETA.

Right?

Here's another question/comment. So, I just did a backup of REM Out Of Time Blu-ray. On my PC, when I click the folder, it then shows me below, and in parenthesis, what the content is when I play it.

00000.m2ts (DTS HD Master Audio only, whole album & videos DTS HD Master)
00001.m2ts (DTS HD Master Audio only, whole album & videos DTS HD Master)
00002.m2ts (DTS HD Master - videos only)
00003.m2ts (DTS HD Master - videos only)

According to the actual jacket of the release, the blu-ray has the following:

Out of Time - Hi-Resolution Audio
Out of Time - 5.1 Surround Sound
Videos - 9 of them (won't list the names)

I don't get it. Why is 00000 and 00001 basically duplicates and 00002 and 00003 are duplicates of each other?

Also, when I access these folders and play them, there is no option to click to the next song and or video. Just one big file if you know what I mean. Somehow, I thought by doing a backup, it would behave identically to watching the physical disc.

I going to piggy-back on my own thread and ask another question about MakeMKV. know we have to paste in a new "key" every once in a while to keep our application happy. LINK TO SAID KEY

So, if I understand correctly, we basically cannot update our MakeMKV if we intend to use the key above...which states only works while in BETA.

Right?
I think so. I think I paid for it :unsure: and haven't had to even when updating to the latest version

@GOS
You are looking at the raw BD files. Those m2ts files only contain video and audio streams. Information such as chapters, codec information and menus are stored in other files at metadata.

If you want to access chapters youā€™ll need to use a player (software or hardware) that can do so. Or you can convert the raw BD data into another format that can be played with other players. Example: Audio only to FLAC or HD Video/Audio to MKV

Personally, I donā€™t backup my discs often at all. I just convert to either FLAC or MKV and store the disc. I guess you have to ask yourself what you really want from the disc. For music I convert all the surround content and music videos (if any). I donā€™t bother with interviews and documentary tracks or stereo mixes, outtakes etc as Iā€™d never listen or watch these.

I don't get it. Why is 00000 and 00001 basically duplicates and 00002 and 00003 are duplicates of each other?

I can't give you a good answer, but I see weird stuff like this all the time. Sometimes MakeMKV knows when something is a duplicate and will skip copying it while putting a relevant message in the log. Other times it seems to think that multiple items that look identical to you and me are really different and will keep them all.

It's obnoxious, but you're not alone.

Is there any process that creates an .MKV file that exactly mimics the title screen and navigation options as if the disc was playing? Meaning that I can make the same track selections based upon the displayed menu and I can use the "Top Menu" button the remote?
Using MAKEMKV, I usually just Open the Disc and select the one title that has all of the mixes, ATMOS, 5.1, stereo. Also the video and .jpg for that Title. I play the MKV with an Oppo 203. Depending on the BluRay that is ripped, sometimes I will get the title page with the track names, sometimes not. Using the AUDIO button on the Oppo's remote control I can change the different audio options while the track is playing.

No big deal if it can't be done, I am more curious than anxious to re-rip my discs,

Latest posts

Back