Mobile Fidelity Plans 4X DSD Oversampling on Future SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screw Sony and the manipulation they do at every level. SACD is pure give me the money. Hack those bastards to death. go Anonymous. DO IT AGAIN

How is that different from other companies that make $ licensing their formats - like DTS, Dolby, Meridian, etc? Should we be "hacking" their DTS, DVD Audio & DVD Video discs as well? Or should we limit the hacking to SACDs from Mobile Fidelity - like the upcoming Quad DSD to SACD discs being discussed here?

It depends on the source of the album. If the album is a PCM or DSD-64 recording, as many are, then it is a upsampling to 4x DSD before downsampling back to CD and SACD resolution.

Totally agree it depends on the source of the album, but I think the majority of titles under their OMR banner are analogue sources and even the vast majority of Silver titles I inquire about directly are tape copies of the original stereo tape...at least that's been my experience with MOFI. So much so that when Brothers in Arms was first announced I said, "hey, that's a 16/44.1 recording, what's it doing under the OMR banner?"

I think the word Quad should be removed from the thread title. How about we call it DSD 256?

Back