Moody Blues, Elton John & Bjork Surround SACDs Planned

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
At this weekend's MIDEM trade show, Universal Music International in Europe announced that Universal is working on additional Elton John albums as well as the initial albums by other artists including the Moody Blues and Bjork for release on Surround Sound SACD later this year.

Check the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=14731392 for more details.

Great news! THe Moodies definately should be out in one of the new surround formats.

"Days of Future Passed" and "Seventh Sojourn" are on dts. But I'm eagerly waiting for "In Search of a Lost Chord", "To Out Children's Children Children", and "Question of Balance": all highlights of the Moody Blues best.

Timothy Leary's dead......in surround:eek:

ss9001 said:
"Days of Future Passed" and "Seventh Sojourn" are on dts. But I'm eagerly waiting for "In Search of a Lost Chord", "To Out Children's Children Children", and "Question of Balance": all highlights of the Moody Blues best.

I wonder which Moody Blues releases are slated to be released? Has anyone heard whether it’s “Classic” MBs or something new? In any event, I’m definitely looking forward to hearing them.

Along those lines, I heard a story a long time ago when I was first getting into quad (this was in the ‘80s, kids), and I’ve always wondered about the veracity. What I heard from a sound engineer who hipped me to some of this stuff was that the reason “In Search of the Lost Chord” was never released in quad was that when all the MB albums were being remixed the tapes were stolen when the engineer was in the john (!) I always wondered if this had any basis in reality. In any event, I think it’s a fun story…

Hey her DVD-Audio is good so I hope it's more than just a release of that on sacd.

Days Of Future Passed was one of the first surround mixes I purcahsed when I got my new system back in 98, I still like giving it a spin now and again. I'll say again though that Eltons' GBYBR is the nicest mix I've heard, and judging by the board I'm not alone. Being a big Elton fan, I'm certainally happy to hear of more on the way.

On a side note, I was at my local Best Buy today looking over the SACD/DVD-A section. The people at the store have little to no clue about what should go where, and to a point I understand. Now it seems there are quite a few DVD videos in CD jewel cases to add to the mix. All in all the shelves are a mess! Over in the Elton CD section they had a sign for GBYBR Anniversary Edition on sale for 19.99 with not a single GBYBR CD in sight. After checking the code, I saw it was for the SACD, so I did them a favor and put the sign in the right place.

jrahrah said:
On a side note, I was at my local Best Buy today looking over the SACD/DVD-A section. The people at the store have little to no clue about what should go where, and to a point I understand. Now it seems there are quite a few DVD videos in CD jewel cases to add to the mix. All in all the shelves are a mess! Over in the Elton CD section they had a sign for GBYBR Anniversary Edition on sale for 19.99 with not a single GBYBR CD in sight. After checking the code, I saw it was for the SACD, so I did them a favor and put the sign in the right place.

Speaking of no clue....I now see all the "Deluxe" edition CD's being placed in the SACD section at my local BBuys here in North Jersey! I think the Tommy and GYBR Deluxe SACD's have totally confused these people!
BTW...They are ALL on sale for $20 this week incl Tommy and GYBR. grab em while you can!

ss9001 said:

Well, In Search Of The Lost Chord was skipped over last time around. Maybe it's not possible to do that one in surround. I'll be happy to replace the two that came out in dts ... i find dts to be pretty much unlistenable now that sacd and dvd-audio disks are available.

timw said:
Speaking of no clue....I now see all the "Deluxe" edition CD's being placed in the SACD section at my local BBuys here in North Jersey! I think the Tommy and GYBR Deluxe SACD's have totally confused these people!
BTW...They are ALL on sale for $20 this week incl Tommy and GYBR. grab em while you can!
The Best Buy I was at today (picking up the Fantasia dvd since it's about to be out of print) I saw that they are putting the price stickers right over the top of the SACD stickers on those "Deluxe" edition disks. If I ever buy either of those titles it will be on the single disk dvd-audio format. Isaac Hayes Shaft is out on stereo SACD.. got that one for $17.99 at Media Play today. Listening to it right now... for the 10th time or so ... on "repeat". I've noticed the needle slides off the disk near the end of Do Your Thing... but it gets back on track in time for The End Theme.... then Shaft starts again.

narcopolo said:
The Best Buy I was at today (picking up the Fantasia dvd since it's about to be out of print) I saw that they are putting the price stickers right over the top of the SACD stickers on those "Deluxe" edition disks. If I ever buy either of those titles it will be on the single disk dvd-audio format. Isaac Hayes Shaft is out on stereo SACD.. got that one for $17.99 at Media Play today. Listening to it right now... for the 10th time or so ... on "repeat". I've noticed the needle slides off the disk near the end of Do Your Thing... but it gets back on track in time for The End Theme.... then Shaft starts again.

Since both are Single Inventory Hybrids that serve as both the CD and SACD editions of the album, that's not a surprising move I suppose.

As for the Shaft SACD, I agree - it's a lot of fun. Even as a Hybrid Stereo SACD.

Back