Movie Blu Rays dominated by music?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keenly

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I have just thought of something very useful I plan to do. Movies have the dialogue in the center, right? It is easy to take this out via Audacity, get where I am going?

So with that being said what movies have music dominating them throughout? Any suggestions please?

There are bound to be instances where movies have been mixed in such a way you could knock out the centre and get music or whatever, though I imagine most movie mixes have dialogue and/or lead vocals in musical numbers also in front L&R?

I have just thought of something very useful I plan to do. Movies have the dialogue in the center, right? It is easy to take this out via Audacity, get where I am going?

So with that being said what movies have music dominating them throughout? Any suggestions please?
'

The Big Chill...you might not like the "oldies" though...

Just the other day I've realized that the bass-driven soundtrack to The Ocean's Trilogy still works for me and I'd really like to have it isolated... Also, The Nightmare Before Christmas has great surround mix of musical numbers.

Just the other day I've realized that the bass-driven soundtrack to The Ocean's Trilogy still works for me and I'd really like to have it isolated... Also, The Nightmare Before Christmas has great surround mix of musical numbers.

Nightmare, yes I will try that one!

There are bound to be instances where movies have been mixed in such a way you could knock out the centre and get music or whatever, though I imagine most movie mixes have dialogue and/or lead vocals in musical numbers also in front L&R?

I have added some to my amazon(lovefilm) rental list, I will let you know how I get on. It may be futile to try, but might as well since I have the account(2 Blu Rays at a time).

I would love some horror scores in 5.1! Some of them are truly sublime. Shame Blu Rays no longer have the isolated tracks due to money issues.

Tommy. You can take out the centre channel of the quintaphonic mix on the US release and get just the music - literally.

You end up with a karaoke version except for odd moments like when Tina runs around the room at the end of Acid Queen.

Probably not what you are trying to achieve, though.

The film version of Koyaanisqatsi has a different surround mix than the DVD-A, although from memory it is not as good as the DVD-A which is itself not as discrete as it probably could be. No dialog in that one to start with!

Is it a different recording rather than just a different surround mix?

Is it a different recording rather than just a different surround mix?

I'm not home to check the liner notes right now, but I'm 90% certain it's a new recording specifically done for DVD-A. http://www.amazon.com/Koyaanisqatsi-1998-Re-recording-Philip-Glass/dp/B00000AEDU refers to it as "1998 Re-recording." It's curious to me that they show a normal CD issue because the DVD-A doesn't even have a dedicated 2.0 mix, it's one of those downmixed-on-the-fly deals.

I'm not home to check the liner notes right now, but I'm 90% certain it's a new recording specifically done for DVD-A. http://www.amazon.com/Koyaanisqatsi-1998-Re-recording-Philip-Glass/dp/B00000AEDU refers to it as "1998 Re-recording." It's curious to me that they show a normal CD issue because the DVD-A doesn't even have a dedicated 2.0 mix, it's one of those downmixed-on-the-fly deals.

Yes, the liner notes specify "a new recording" and elude to the fact that the Ensemble has "infinitely greater surety and dexterity" than when the original soundtrack was performed. It specifies a mix date of June/July 1999, but not a specific record date. But it is definitely not identical in performance to the film. Although the composition is identical.

I extracted the audio from Dark Knight Blu ray and edited it via Audacity. Rears raised where need be, dialogue removed, etc etc. I will create a DVD A this week. I think some of my edits are sloppy but overall it sounds really good with the sound effects, gun shots etc, just like it is part of the musical production.

Back