MQA-CD - possible SACD successor?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally unnecessary format. As time passes disc space is only going to get cheaper. Why else bother with this when there are plenty other formats already around ?

MQA could be seen as "necessary" for streaming services that want to keep their bandwidth requirements lower than if PCM music files were streamed in their full resolution.
Services like PrimeSeat stream at full resolution PCM (24/96) and even DSD (up to Stereo DSD 11.2Mhz), so no MQA lossy processing is needed or used.
https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/primeseat-launches-dsd-streaming-audio/

MQA enables streaming music services to use their lossy compression technology to take 24/96 and above PCM files and reduce them in size to "CD Quality" music files.
Most listeners, outside the streaming world, are more likely to pick up the full fidelity 24/96 music files vs. the ones that have been MQA'd for CD release.

As for replacing SACDs, MQA uses PCM audio while SACD uses DSD audio.
So, the question is really do listeners gain anything from a CD that starts with a 24/96 PCM music file, has it reduced to "CD Quality" by MQA and then pressed on a CD?

From what I've heard of MQA, I'm fine with standard CDs vs. one that has been through the MQA process.
Other CD listeners/buyers may want to give the MQA processing a try and decide.

i got the Steely Dan "The Royal Scam" MQA CD in the mail the other day (courtesy of CD Japan, import duty plus handling fee was almost as much as the disc.. but that's a gripe for another thread! bah!) only had one quick listen but was pretty unimpressed.

I then swapped it out for my trusty old Nimbus mastered UK MCA CD and by comparison the new MQA was much the worse for it; lead vocals and cymbals were too bright and in your face, bass was diminished, the soundstage seemed narrowed somehow, overall it was louder than the Nimbus.. ugh.

I've found similar results listening to decoded MQA at a demo hosted by Meridian. The MQA process definitely impacts the imaging of the music.
Not in a good way.

Last edited:
:sleep: YAWN! :sleep:

I'm done with "new formats" - and so is the rest of the world. Throw these in the pile with the DualDisc's and MVI Discs.

My thoughts exactly. The formats in the listening space already include: LP, CD, Cassette, Stereo-8, Q8, Q4, QS, SQ, CD-4, DTS-CD, DVD/A, SACD, and Elcaset.

I'm burnt out on (literally) buying into anything else. I still haven't even gone for Blu-Ray because there's simply no reason for me to do so.

I was going to look for some files to see what it sounds like then realised I have no way of playing them back! :rolleyes: And did you see some of the prices for the equipment in the video?! :ROFLMAO:

I guess what I was more interested in was the 'origami' lossless fold down effect for possible streaming/downloads. And then the possibility for new/re-releases of surround albums.

I think there's Bob Hope and no hope of the physical discs taking off if they're just based on RBCD. I thought it was different. And was intrigued as weren't there some classic quad albums released only in Japan?

Last edited:
I was going to look for some files to see what it sounds like then realised I have no way of playing them back! :rolleyes: And did you see some of the prices for the equipment in the video?! :ROFLMAO:

I guess what I was more interested in was the 'origami' lossless fold down effect for possible streaming/downloads. And then the possibility for new/re-releases of surround albums.

I think there's Bob Hope and no hope of the physical discs taking off if they're just based on RBCD. I thought it was different. And was intrigued as weren't there some classic quad albums released only in Japan?

good point! just thinking out loud, as the MQA CD push is a Universal label thing at the moment, not sure if there would be too many Quads exclusive to Japan that would come under Universal's umbrella today?
maybe stuff like Jaws (MCA) & Godfather (Paramount) soundtracks, could be interesting.. some of the Philips/Mercury 4DX series (Bachman Turner Overdrive, Paul Mauriat, etc.) I guess they are Universal's now?

Sorry but after getting screwed by DVDA and SACD I'm not really excited about jumping into a new format, especially one in which there is no multichannel option, where a decoder starts at around a grand, And as far as I'm concerned if Both Kai and Brian give it a thumbs down then > MQA can kiss my ASS

Sorry but after getting screwed by DVDA and SACD I'm not really excited about jumping into a new format, especially one in which there is no multichannel option, where a decoder starts at around a grand, And as far as I'm concerned if Both Kai and Brian give it a thumbs down then > MQA can kiss my ASS

AR Surround quadruple likes this post!!!! Don't forget the quad abandonment back in the 70's.

It is highly unlikely to take hold if it needs new specialized equipment for decoding.
But isn't that one of the supposed selling points? You don't need any special equipment,,, unless you want the best quality available, and then the costs (disguised as royalties) are there to fund that jump to higher quality.

They (the record companies) wanted to find a way to sell their music all over again. That’s where MQA comes in. The inventor (Meridian) told the manufacturers of A/V equipment that they need to install the MQA decoder to sell more product and that it’s a win-win for them because they will make money selling new equipment.

The word is, MQA doesn’t sound so good without the MQA decoder.

I thought I read several days ago the MQA is all over, discontinued as a going concern. In spite of the major hype coming from some in the audio press, the public voted with their wallets and said no fucking way.

Back