Need Quality CD/DVD Media??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Nephilim

Hi guys Not sure where to put this Question so I posted here??? I was curious to what Media Brand are some good brands for my Burning Needs??

I currently use Memorex DVD-R Media. I was just curious to which media is rated the Best or of Better Quality build?? I had a problem with 2 Burnt DVD's and they would go corrupt and Not play at random spots??

Also When Burning a Disk should it be a rewrittable one otr a One shot disk??

I always avoid Memorex, however it seems to be the favorite brand of retailers these days.

Some of the warehouse's carry TDK's, which seem to perform better. The choice is getting narrower, as folks move away from disc based storage to memory stick storage for transport and small backups.

I think Verbatim is/was the best. anyone else?

I've been using Verbatim media for almost a decade and have never had any trouble. Disc's I burnt in 2001 still appear to be working.....
Memorex used to be a major player in media (..cassette/reel to reel) in the 70's....but....I'm not too sure....might now be part of a cut-price/ bargain basement Chinese concern...like...current Sansui, is.

I had some TDK CD-R's in the mid-2000's and the label side was micron thin, with little effort I could actually scrape off the silver with my fingernail. I had to transfer 30 plus CD's to another brand (...might have been "imation") before they got wrecked. I still have some of those crappy TDK's....and they still work, but THAT label side is very fragile. I'm not saying all TDK's are like this ...this is just a stray example...I've bought some since,(dual layer DVD+R's) and they are much better.

Just something to keep in mind when buying discs you intend to keep for a while.....:)

i'm having really good luck with HP dvd -rs, moreso than with memorex, sony. tdks seem ok when i can get them. i may stick with the HPs.

edit-i should add that so far i have only used stand alone dvd recorders, starting aug '04; have never used my pc 'burner'. yet.

Last edited:
I can second the Memorex thing. I had like two stacks of duds from memorex I bought on sale. Burning with a memorex drive no less - the thing HATED memorex discs for some reason.

Recently, I noticed that Imation apparently is the owner of both the Memorex and TDK brands. (I think this is a new change?) Anyway... They probably all came from the same manufacturing plant before, but still I found this interesting.

I avoid Memorex since I've lost data on them in the past. And, unfortunately, the change to Imation for Memorex apparently hasn't helped. Against my better judgement, I bought a 25 pack of those Memorex Music CD-Rs to use on my Philips component CD Recorder. (Hey, it was only $2.00.) Well... half of the discs are bad.

Thankfully, I found some older "Made In Japan" Maxell Music CD-Rs to use in the Philips, instead. They work wonderful. Unfortunately, it appears that newer stock is being manufactured in Taiwan nowadays and I worry they won't work as well.

Also When Burning a Disk should it be a rewrittable one otr a One shot disk??

I mostly use just the write-once CD/DVDs, myself. (Though it can be nice to have a rewriteable one on hand when working on some tasks that there's a high chance of screwing it up. But even then I transfer the finished result to a computer hard drive or a write-once CD or DVD.)

I have been using Vebatim as well. I can usually find them on sale on line and I haven't had any coasters.

Speed plays a BIG part in whether your discs will end up coasters as well. I mostly use my computer and never burn CD's at faster than 8X and DVD's at faster than 4X. It seemed every time I used a faster speed...I had issues, sometimes years later, even with Quality media.

I have a friend who is an archivist, and the company he works for only uses Taiyo Yuden.

Thinks they have a longer shelf life.

Not too easy to find retail though. They buy in bulk.

You can use DVD Decrypter to see who actually made the discs - most of them are made by CMC. TY (Taiyo Yuden) are considered some of the best as are Verbatim. I've used Ridata pretty successfully too. What really made my burns better has been a switch to DVD+R, as I understand it they have a better error correction scheme. I've recently been using Sony DVD+R (supper cheap when on sale at CostCo) and have been getting flawless burns. (I use TY when it's important to me)

I'm a little rusty on the subject, but I second the Taiyo Yuden brand. Also, look at the labels to see where they were made. Stay away from China made ones, and India. I believe the Taiwan and Japan ones (if you can still find them) are typically better. It really depends as the 50-pack of Sony you buy today could be made in Japan, and tommorrows bulk lot made some place else.

I'm a little rusty on the subject, but I second the Taiyo Yuden brand. Also, look at the labels to see where they were made. Stay away from China made ones, and India. I believe the Taiwan and Japan ones (if you can still find them) are typically better. It really depends as the 50-pack of Sony you buy today could be made in Japan, and tommorrows bulk lot made some place else.

Another fan here. I also use the printable Taiyo Yuden discs with the Dymo DiscPainter. Works great !

Back