Neil Finn & Paul Kelly - Goin' Your Way 5.1 Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

privateuniverse

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
In 2013 Neil Finn & Paul Kelly released a double CD and DVD/Blu-ray from their concert tour of Australia. It was released only in Australia/NZ. Late last year, Omnivore released the CD here in the USA. In the liner notes Finn mentions that "Bob Clearmountain has made a wonderful surround mix." Has anyone heard the surround mix from the Blu-ray? From what I've read on Amazon the Blu-ray & DVD are encoded for Region 4 and alas, I don't have a region free player. I e-mailed Omnivore to ask if they would be giving the video an American release. Unfortunately they said they had no plans to. :(

In 2013 Neil Finn & Paul Kelly released a double CD and DVD/Blu-ray from their concert tour of Australia. It was released only in Australia/NZ. Late last year, Omnivore released the CD here in the USA. In the liner notes Finn mentions that "Bob Clearmountain has made a wonderful surround mix." Has anyone heard the surround mix from the Blu-ray? From what I've read on Amazon the Blu-ray & DVD are encoded for Region 4 and alas, I don't have a region free player. I e-mailed Omnivore to ask if they would be giving the video an American release. Unfortunately they said they had no plans to. :(

Snood has had this on his Amazon wishlist for awhile - almost pulled the trigger a couple times. Been waiting for it to drop a lil and it never does :howl

The Bluray will be region 2 (same as UK) or region 0.

I have this on BD and played it quite a bit although I don't recall whether the surround mix is discrete or not. The audio is excellent though. I've just enjoyed it for the great music which is a mix of Paul's hits and Neil's (mostly Crowded House) hits, but often one sings the others song. Also a couple of family members playing in the band, their sons I think.

Highly Recommend. Paul Kelly is probably not so well known outside AU/NZ but he writes awsome lyrics to go with great music. No music lover will be disapointed in this one.

I just checked the BD disc and cover. There is no mention of its region (promising as most BD music is region free)

Bob Clearmountain indeed mixed this. The two sons are Elroy Finn (on drums, keyboards & guitars) and Dan Kelly (guitars and backing vocals)

I bought the 4 disk package,2 cd,dvd and bluray and only thing that I think was region coded was the dvd which I couldn't play even on my Oppo.
I don't think the bluray is region coded, played fine on my Oppo 103.
Bob Clearmountain has done a wonderful job on this one as it is very clear and wouldn't call it super discreet, it just sounds really good for a concert disk.
Neil Finn and Paul Kelly are clearly having fun doing this tour and it shows in the playing and talking between songs.
I can't see how anybody would be disappointed in this one.
Of all the concert disk's I have this one is one of the most played, its a keeper.

peter

Thanks for all the input folks. I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this one and grab it from an Australian retailer. The U.S. dollar is pretty strong against the Australian dollar right now so the price shouldn't hurt too much. And I can't have any holes in my Finn collection!

Thanks for all the input folks. I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this one and grab it from an Australian retailer. The U.S. dollar is pretty strong against the Australian dollar right now so the price shouldn't hurt too much. And I can't have any holes in my Finn collection!

Let us know how it goes pleaaaaase

I bought the deluxe set for $34.01 delivered from here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...r?ie=UTF8&condition=new&qid=1454362313&sr=8-1

It shipped from New Zealand today. A leap of faith, but I thought it was worth a try.

You toooooo Steve let us know how it is :banana:

I've used SmokeCDs in the past (y) - they used to have a shop here in downtown Wellington... sigh..

Those of you wanting to get this may like to try one of Australia's better retailers - JB HiFi. They ship internationally and the prices are generally competitive. AS an example here's the cost in US dollars for both the deluxe edition and the standalone Bluray shipped to the USA:

Standalone Bluray: A$27.99+A$8.49 shipping = A$36.48 which is US$25.75
Deluxe Edition: A$47.99+A$12.00 shipping = A$59.99 which is US$42.34

www.jbhifi.com.au/music/Whats-Hot/emi/goin-your-way-blu-ray/467917/

www.jbhifi.com.au/music/browse/pop/goin-your-way-deluxe-edition/468026/

I have no affiliation whatsoever, but I do buy a lot from them. YMMV!

I had to hold off a bit on ordering this one while I got income taxes figured out. (I ended up owing the state of Connecticut $500. Grrrrrr! :howl ) Anyway, I finally ordered it a few weeks ago and it arrived yesterday. (17 days from Australia to Connecticut, ordered from JB HiFi. Thanks for the tip, Boxhead!) The packaging does indeed indicate that it is an all-region disc. It plays fine on my Pioneer which is usually picky about imports.

I'm 50 minutes into it now and it looks like a fantastic concert. Great to see two amazing songwriters trading off songs with each other. They're clearly having a great time. Wish they could have brought this tour to the USA.

Picture and audio quality is great. Clearmountain's 5.1 mix however is not too aggressive; mostly applause and ambiance in the rears. It's interesting that Clearmountain will get aggressive with the rears on studio material (Bob Marley's Legend, Roxy Music's Avalon) but not so much with live material (this title, his live mixes for Springsteen.)

Anyway, if you're only after this for a surround mix, then it's probably not a necessary purchase. However, if you're a fan of either Finn or Kelly (or both, as I am) then this is an essential purchase.

I had to hold off a bit on ordering this one while I got income taxes figured out. (I ended up owing the state of Connecticut $500. Grrrrrr! :howl ) Anyway, I finally ordered it a few weeks ago and it arrived yesterday. (17 days from Australia to Connecticut, ordered from JB HiFi. Thanks for the tip, Boxhead!) The packaging does indeed indicate that it is an all-region disc. It plays fine on my Pioneer which is usually picky about imports.

I'm 50 minutes into it now and it looks like a fantastic concert. Great to see two amazing songwriters trading off songs with each other. They're clearly having a great time. Wish they could have brought this tour to the USA.

Picture and audio quality is great. Clearmountain's 5.1 mix however is not too aggressive; mostly applause and ambiance in the rears. It's interesting that Clearmountain will get aggressive with the rears on studio material (Bob Marley's Legend, Roxy Music's Avalon) but not so much with live material (this title, his live mixes for Springsteen.)

Anyway, if you're only after this for a surround mix, then it's probably not a necessary purchase. However, if you're a fan of either Finn or Kelly (or both, as I am) then this is an essential purchase.

Totally agree with you that this is a must buy for anyone that is a Finn or Kelly fan as a real fun concert and great sound on this one :)

Back