New AVR required - Recommendations, please

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
It seems that my excellent but venerable Cambridge Audio Azure 551R has finally given up the ghost. :(

Which means I'm in the market for a new AVR for my main 5.1 system. My key requirements are:
  • Exceptional audio for music, transparency being the most desired feature (the reason I have kept my 551 for so long is for it's clinical transparency.)
  • Assume it's used for music only (rather than films)
  • Decent sized, robust speaker connectors, capable of taking high quality speaker cables
  • Fully automated microphone based configuration/room tuning.
  • A high degree of control over bass management, such as being able to set all speakers as small/large, enable/disable sub, define individual cross over points for Front/Centre/Rears independently of each other.
  • It will only be used for 5.1, but being able to bi-amp at least the FL/FR using "spare" channels would be good.
Nice to have (but not essential) requirements:
  • Networked (wired Ethernet)
  • Ability to stream multi channel flac.
  • Ability to stream video with embedded multi channel audio
Any recommendations?

Modern AVR’s are not renowned for music unless you pay serious money, but you can get past this if you use analog inputs and use pure direct settings. If for example you have an Oppo or similar player with 5.1 analog output and connect to similar inputs on the AVR you are then using the DACs in the player and simply using the AVR as an amplifier. Next problem most AVR’s don’t have 5.1 analog inputs now although this is still an option on many of the Marantz range which also has a good reputation for music playback in its price range.

Modern AVR’s are not renowned for music unless you pay serious money, but you can get past this if you use analog inputs and use pure direct settings. If for example you have an Oppo or similar player with 5.1 analog output and connect to similar inputs on the AVR you are then using the DACs in the player and simply using the AVR as an amplifier. Next problem most AVR’s don’t have 5.1 analog inputs now although this is still an option on many of the Marantz range which also has a good reputation for music playback in its price range.

Yep n dennon just recently announced their 2020 models...waiting on marantz to do the same...probably in August.. then prices will drop on 2019 models...waiting for it myself...damn coronavirus messed me up w planning n purchases

I am no help if you are in England..I think prices there are higher, but still I´d recommend the Marantz/Denon (same company, I gravitate towards Marantz if only because of the name)receivers...I had a SR-7011 and because of a shipment/refurbishment mistake I got the next one, the 7012 for $200 extra.
My dear friend and QQ member César has an SR 7012 and can testify, besides the older models are usually cheaper and already chock full of features that I will NEVER use (streaming, etc)

Modern AVR’s are not renowned for music unless you pay serious money
This is not true. A flat frequency response is exactly just that irrespective of music or movies. Most decent mid to high receivers will provide just that with a low enough noise floor, provided they are driven within limits. Bass management is more relevant for movies as far as content, but in today's world, just as relevant for either. A good setup is a good setup period.

To @Neil Palfreyman If you looking for a neutral reciever, look at the frequency response curves. Some of these "higher end" or "warm sounding " (or pick some other descriptors ) may not be what you are looking for.

I would have recommended Yamaha, but I feel their bass management software is lacking compared to the best in the market.( Audyssey or Dirac).
For you , I would suggest NAD or one of the Dirac based systems, event though I havent tried one yet personally. They do offer the most potential for tuning.

Thanks for the suggestions and info so far.
After a frantic session of phoning around potential repair shops, followed by research and review reading yesterday I've got an Arcam FMJ AVR550 arriving for a trial run on Tuesday :)
It's recently gone "end of line" (which doesn't bother me) so got a great price on it, albeit still quite a bit more than I was intending to spend. Oh well...
I'm really looking forward to trying it out and am very excited by the prospect of using Dirac with it.

Please keep suggestions coming in as if the 550 doesn't work out I can get a full refund and so I may be on the lookout again very soon...

Next problem most AVR’s don’t have 5.1 analog inputs now although this is still an option on many of the Marantz range which also has a good reputation for music playback in its price range.
I just bought a (factory refurbished) Marantz SR6014 for this reason, among others. At $1200, it was the most I was really willing to spend, but it was also the least expensive desirable model I could find that met all of my criteria:
  • At least 5.1 multichannel analog in
  • At least 5 channels of amplification at ~100W nominal
  • Support for (almost) all bitstream surround/immersive formats as of today (no Auro-3D, but maybe eventually via paid upgrade?)
  • Multichannel PCM- and DSD-over-HDMI
  • HDMI eARC for TV-based audio (the sole necessary HDMI 2.1 feature for an AVR, in my estimation)
  • Reasonably sophisticated room correction (Audyssey MultEQ XT32, in this case, with a handy smartphone companion app for deeper customization and visualization of EQ curves)
  • Emphasis on music rather than just visual content
It meets all of these requirements plus yours, @Neil Palfreyman, save perhaps streaming multichannel (I know it won't do multichannel from USB). Whether the sound signature is what you're looking for, I couldn't say. But in addition to Audyssey room correction, it also has a graphic equalizer, so you can both fine-tune the correction to your liking and tweak with post-correction EQ.

Last edited:
I just bought a (factory refurbished) Marantz SR6014 for this reason, among others. At $1200, it was the most I was really willing to spend, but it was also the least expensive desirable model I could find that met all of my criteria:
  • Support for all bitstream surround/immersive formats as of today
  • HDMI eARC for TV-based audio (the sole necessary HDMI 2.1 feature for an AVR, in my estimation)
  • Reasonably sophisticated room correction (Audyssey MultEQ XT32, in this case, with a handy smartphone companion app for deeper customization and visualization of EQ curves)
It meets all of these requirements plus yours, @Neil Palfreyman, save perhaps streaming multichannel (I know it won't do multichannel from USB). Whether the sound signature is what you're looking for, I couldn't say. But in addition to Audyssey room correction, it also has a graphic equalizer, so you can both fine-tune the correction to your liking and tweak with post-correction EQ.
I bought a Marantz SR 8012 18 months ago and have no regrets.

• Support for (almost) all bitstream surround/immersive formats as of today (no Auro-3D, but maybe eventually via paid upgrade?)
Looks like a great purchase but like most AVR marketing the power rating is listed as
"2 channels driven"

"SR6014. You still get 110 watts per channel of output with two channels driven (rated with an 8-ohm load, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.08 percent THD). With more channels driven, you'll get less output per channel, of course. Connect five speakers (not counting powered subs) and you'll get between 75 and 80 watts per channel, assuming an 8-ohm load. Hook up all nine speakers, and the per-channel power output goes down from there"

Looks like a great purchase but like most AVR marketing the power rating is listed as
"2 channels driven"

"SR6014. You still get 110 watts per channel of output with two channels driven (rated with an 8-ohm load, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 0.08 percent THD). With more channels driven, you'll get less output per channel, of course. Connect five speakers (not counting powered subs) and you'll get between 75 and 80 watts per channel, assuming an 8-ohm load. Hook up all nine speakers, and the per-channel power output goes down from there"

I highly recommend using an additional power source...especially if more than 5 speakers. Also how loud do u crank....I'd add power

My pioneer is 100 wpc & im running all 5 off it and I know I need more power...one day hopefully soon

"2 channels driven"

I'm fully aware. My speakers are 6 Ohm, so I should be seeing ~100WPC. They're Klipsch satellites originally from a ProMedia Ultra 5.1 system that delivered ~50WPC, so I should have plenty of headroom, even at ~75WPC.

Last edited:
ollowed by research and review reading yesterday I've got an Arcam FMJ AVR550 arriving for a trial run

Arcam make great gear. I'm still using my Arcam AVR600 just as a multichannel amp (5.0 analog ins from my Denon AVR which has Atmos decoder, the Denon powers the rears in a 7.1 floor arrangement and does the 4 ceiling speakers, Arcam doing the front 5 in the 7.1 floor speakers Front L&R bi-amped)

My only issues with the AVR600: a bad network flaw which could not be fixed by firmware and it was very bad at HDMI handshaking, fixed in later models BTW)

If I could afford the latest Arcams I'd be in like Flynn. (I'll buy a lotto ticket tonight!)

Last edited:
My new Arcam AVR550 arrived yesterday. Unfortunately it had a bit of fan noise, so I had to get it replaced. Richer Sounds did an incredible job and got the replacement ordered and delivered today, along with pick up of the noisy one. No quibbles at all. And the replacement is silent. :)

It's obviously very early days but it's already sounding better than the Cambridge Audio Azure 551r that it's replaced, even with just a basic setup: Base config, fronts bi-amp'd using "spare" channels, speaker distance and levels set with a 'phone sound meter.
The detail, definition and dynamics are all noticeably better.

My rough plan is to spend a few days playing stuff I know well, to get it settled in and to get to know it better. After that I'll have a serious play with the Dirac. :)

As mentioned above, Richer Sounds (Oxford branch) have been exceptional through the whole buying process. They seem to be really going the extra mile during the trials of lock down and I'm *very* impressed with the service I've had from them.

I couldnt agree more with Neil's positive comments about Richer Sounds Oxford store.
Over the years, I have bought numerous, fairly expensive, pieces of audio hardware from them and they have been exceptional in their customer service and knowledge.

And I'm not even on commission!! :D

There we are, two happy QQr's!! :QQlove

Back