New Pineapple Thief box set!!! 8 disc bluray 5.1and Atmos!! How did we find our way!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<CTRL C> <CTRL V>
I will live with the hoop but there are times when it is expired and the new one isn't out for a bit that makes me go AAAAARGH!

During Suddenly Away, bonus track on Variations On a Dream, the fronts go almost silent twice, on 2:12 and 3:10. Is that supposed to happen as a mix reference to the title? The first time I played the track I thought my speakers were giving up haha.
I asked Bruce about that track during play testing; it's an intentional part of the mix for that song. The vocal line is cut from the centre leaving just it's "reverb tail" in the fronts at both of those points. Something similar happens in stereo on the CD, but it's not quite a "dramatic" as on the 5.1 mix.

Yes I use the beta key for makeMKV, it's easy to find it each month. I bought the blu ray too and ripped each atmos mix to a separate MKV file then I used MKVToolNix to name the chapters/tracks.

I used DVDFab to rip the BD to .iso, since that's how I play them on the pc.
makeMKV will work for not only making mkv files but should still be able to do a folder back up, decrypted, from which you could make an .iso file with ImgBurn if you wanted to.

Of course for ripping CD's I always use EAC.

I asked Bruce about that track during play testing; it's an intentional part of the mix for that song. The vocal line is cut from the centre leaving just it's "reverb tail" in the fronts at both of those points. Something similar happens in stereo on the CD, but it's not quite a "dramatic" as on the 5.1 mix.
Thanks Neil. the mixes are great, they bring out so much detail, the best release in years.

Slip Away is my favorite new bonus track so far.

Last edited:
I had the releases represented in this box set on CD’s for years. Moved from CA to OR last year and got rid of 95% of my CD collection, including these. But I’m glad to replace them with this set because of the Blu-Ray with 5.1. Just ordered from Amazon. Thankful for this forum that keeps me informed about new releases in surround. (Also Just ordered the Rhino Quadio release of Black Sabbath’s PARANOID, a favorite album since it was first released when I was a freshman in high school.)

Received today. Going in order. First album is a great mix. I know that they kind of went through a Smashing Pumpkins phase, then a Radiohead phase, and eventually kind of became their own thing. The first album is musically kind of its own thing w/ Bruce channeling his inner Billy Corgan at times. Except not as nasal as Corgan, thankfully. Solid tunes and impeccably mixed first album. I expect more of the same wit the rest. IMO, Bruce is as good as Steven Wilson is right now at mixing, although I've heard SW mix other peoples' stuff with great success and haven't heard Bruce do anything outside his own stuff (though I know he does it).

I hear the resemblance too and I can’t stand Billy Corgan but the first couple of albums were easy to get through because of the music. I don’t hear any Radiohead resemblance but that’s good because I can’t stand that group either.

Received today. Going in order. First album is a great mix. I know that they kind of went through a Smashing Pumpkins phase, then a Radiohead phase, and eventually kind of became their own thing. The first album is musically kind of its own thing w/ Bruce channeling his inner Billy Corgan at times. Except not as nasal as Corgan, thankfully. Solid tunes and impeccably mixed first album. I expect more of the same wit the rest. IMO, Bruce is as good as Steven Wilson is right now at mixing, although I've heard SW mix other peoples' stuff with great success and haven't heard Bruce do anything outside his own stuff (though I know he does it).
I've heard a couple of his mixes for other artist, and they are as good as these mixes. if you have Apple Music, check out the latest from Haken. Do you listen in Atmos?

I've heard a couple of his mixes for other artist, and they are as good as these mixes. if you have Apple Music, check out the latest from Haken. Do you listen in Atmos?
My setup is for 5.1. It will translate Atmos mixes, but I don't know how to get them to stream. Granted, I haven't tried very hard and I actually have Amazon as my music streamer. They have surround mixes as well from what I understand, but it always seems to be the stereo mixes that pop up.

I'm finally listening to this. Would have been sooner but the quads jumped in front plus the ripping took two full afternoons.

Atmos: Generated MKVs and then used MMH to get M4As. Tagging was a major headache.
5.1: Reripped backup copy with MakeMKV and then used DVDAE to generate FLACs. More tag editing but not nearly as much.
Stereo: There is no stereo layer on the bluray. No room I guess. So I had to pull out the CDs. Yes, more tag editing.

Really looking forward to Part 2. Someone Here is Missing is my favorite Thief album.

I'll be looking forward to getting that B-side Open Water from the Show a Little Love digital single, as it was only available as an mp3 originally. Will be nice to rip it into a FLAC at long last! I recall getting into a discussion on another forum years back where one bloke liked to place that song before So We Row given that track's duration...

I've listened to one more album and about 3 songs from a couple others. The mixes are all very well balanced, very immersive, and constant. I like the tunes too, but it seems I have to take TPT in small doses sometimes because he can be a real downer, even in these older albums, apparently. I mean, I get it, it's easier for me to write about sad stuff too, but if Robert Smith can do it...

This is the only PT stuff I own. I am on my second listen to 8 days and haven’t heard any of the discs beyond this.

THAT SAID

Are the box sets beyond what is covered in this box harder to find and/or out of print? I may be a fan now of this band and might want it all. Please teach me, fans!

This is the only PT stuff I own. I am on my second listen to 8 days and haven’t heard any of the discs beyond this.

THAT SAID

Are the box sets beyond what is covered in this box harder to find and/or out of print? I may be a fan now of this band and might want it all. Please teach me, fans!
This is the first in a series of box sets, the other surround stuff released is from the last few years and are available as standalone blu rays or a cd/blu ray, if I was you i’d wait for the new boxes as they are being remixed in atmos, none of the more recent stuff is out of print as far as i’m aware, “Where we stood” is a concert plus the studio album “Your wilderness” as well as the bonus album “8 years later”, “Dissolution” also has an acoustic version of the album, “Versions of the truth” also has an acoustic version, “Give it back” is a reworking of some of their earlier songs done it atmos
If you don’t want to wait on the boxes these are still available at a decent price

This is the first in a series of box sets, the other surround stuff released is from the last few years and are available as standalone blu rays or a cd/blu ray, if I was you i’d wait for the new boxes as they are being remixed in atmos, none of the more recent stuff is out of print as far as i’m aware, “Where we stood” is a concert plus the studio album “Your wilderness” as well as the bonus album “8 years later”, “Dissolution” also has an acoustic version of the album, “Versions of the truth” also has an acoustic version, “Give it back” is a reworking of some of their earlier songs done it atmos
If you don’t want to wait on the boxes these are still available at a decent price
You absolutely answered my question, thank you! Looking at their prolific catalog is overwhelming. I am certainly patient (since I have had the box set upon release but am only to 8 Days), so waiting for upcoming box sets is a great plan! If all the other multichannel releases are for non-vital catalog releases, I won’t hurry out and buy them all up. Thank you for the great reply!

Back