New Squeeze Concert Blu Ray w/ 5.1 Announced

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, the credits say "All songs mixed by Glenn Tilbrook at 45RPM, Engineered by Chris McNally, Mastered by John Davies"—there's nothing specific about who did the 5.1 mix so I don't know if it was Glenn.

The show is nice long setlist, heavy on the hits but not exclusive to them, which cuts across the entire catalog. Nice performance, crack band, Tilbrook still in remarkable voice (Difford a little less so maybe but it's all good). Very enjoyable overall and a solid late-era snapshot.

The 5.1 mix it's just kind of a standard live job—it's a good recording and there's nothing concerning or off-putting like on the recent U.K. Blu Ray... there's not much if any separation at all across the front, and in general it's a very live-sounding, reverb soaked affair, which I'll just ascribe to the venue and not post production but of course I don't know. A "sounds like I'm there, in a big concrete box of a venue" kinda thing. The rears are just kind of the atmospheric mirror of the fronts, which again isn't to say it doesn't sound fine, it's just not noteworthy.

Upon finishing it made me want to go back and watch the 1982 video from the Regal Theater to compare with an earlier incarnation of the band and it was another reminder of time flyin', but not "oh wow, they were so much better"—the band is still very competent and enjoyable in '19 when this was shot.

Back