New to Quad-2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacobe1964

I have a Pioneer 4-Channel receiver Model# QX-646, Technics Quartz SL-Q350 Turntable, with a Shure M92E Cartraige, and 4 Pioneer speakers. The receiver has hook-ups for two front and four rear. I only have two rears hooked up. Do I need all four?

I have known about quad since my teens,( I'm 44), but it came and went before my time. I have collected records since I was 12, all still in mint condition.

My interest really started when I found two Quad Kriss Krisstofferson records at a flea market in mint condition for 5.00. They are in (SQ), then I got Elvis Aloha, Whitch I think is CD-4, that's when a little red light came on , on my receiver, that I didn't know was there. After reading I learn it's called CD-4 Radar or something like that. The Elvis only sounds good when I turn the two knobs called CD-4 separation up all the way. If they are turned down it has really bad static. The receiver has a knob with 2-C,CD-4,RM,SQ. Any help I can get will make my day. Time for work. Thanks to all,

Jacobe1964

Hello and welcome,

You don't need to have four speakers hooked up to the rear. I think Pioneer just supplied the ability to have four to try different speakers if you wish, for the back speakers.

You will have to have a better cartridge if you wish to play CD-4 records and have them reproduced in quad. The M92E is just a stereo cartridge. As you have found, almost any stereo cartridge will light up the CD-4 radar which is merely an indication that the demodulator is getting a 30 kHz signal strong enough to do this.

But the response of the cartridge must extend out to 45 - 50kHz to allow all of the signals to reach the demodulator for creation of all four channels. Good separation up there is also a requirement. This is what the Shibata stylus was originally designed for and you may wish to find a vintage cartridge or, as an option, the modern Audio Technica AT440MLa will work well.

Once you have a good CD-4 cartridge, then you can adjust the 30kHz level controls and separation controls for best CD-4 separation and fidelity. You will never be able to get satisfactory results with your current cartridge.

You WILL be able to play SQ or QS records with your cartridge, however, and get results dependent on the level of sophistication of the decoders in your Pioneer (if there is any logic control etc.).

Doug

Back