Next Steven Wilson 70s Mix - Let The Speculation Begin....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the drummer Steven Wilson has been working with on his past couple of projects, Marco Minnemann. I knew nothing about him, until now, when I performed a search.

From the Wiki:

Marco Minnemann (born December 24, 1970) is a German drummer,[1] composer and multi-instrumentalist. He lives in San Diego, California.

Marco Minnemann has published a number of solo CDs. On most of them he performs all instruments and vocals.[2] He is known for developing a very advanced drum technique called interdependence allowing him to play various patterns with each of his feet or hands, and have published several instructional books describing this concept.[2]

In 2011, he was the runner-up in a series of auditions for Dream Theater after Mike Portnoy left the band in 2010.

Since 2011 he is in Steven Wilson's Band, has his own band along with Guthrie Govan and Bryan Beller called The Aristocrats and also plays in Joe Satriani's band since 2013.

As of 8th February 2015, it was announced Minnemann would be playing alongside Simon Grove (The Helix Nebula) and Luke Martin as session musicians for Plini when on tour, whilst also featuring on Plini's EP "The End of Everything".

What I'd really like to know is how these two gentlemen hooked up. :)

He is my favorite these days. Saw Aristocrats again about a month ago. Saw him with SW twice and Satriani last year too. I'm within 40 miles of his studio right now!

From QQ Happy New Year

When I was a teen back in the day I'm sure I wore the grooves out on my Fragile LP. I have to admit Fragile was the only Yes album that I knew. Can't wait for the SW 5.1. Should be on par with Aqualung - at least for me anyway.

I'm just glad he's going to try to use the original parts...what they did to 'South Side of the Sky' on the old DVD-A was not good.

That said, I'm not happy with either the 'old' (DVD-A) 5.1 mix of America (which is horrible) or SW's included with the 'Close to the Edge' set (which is merely disappointing). Don't know why that song is so hard to get 'right'....

Last edited:
Not what I necessarily wanted to see on Twitter this evening:

I'm immersing myself in @StevenWilsonHQ 5.1Heart Of The Sunrise mix by way of a farewell to #ChrisSquire. Stunning from start to finish.

https://twitter.com/thesidsmith/status/615483722809389056

I'm all for getting SW's new remixes of "Fragile" as the old DVD-A mix is dreadful, but I don't want it before "Tales", especially if we're only getting one this year. Not good...

Not what I necessarily wanted to see on Twitter this evening:

https://twitter.com/thesidsmith/status/615483722809389056

I'm all for getting SW's new remixes of "Fragile" as the old DVD-A mix is dreadful, but I don't want it before "Tales", especially if we're only getting one this year. Not good...

I thought that this was known for sometime now. Sid posted about listening to Fragile to write the liner notes a few months back and I posted the info here on 2/9.

I thought that this was known for sometime now. Sid posted about listening to Fragile to write the liner notes a few months back.

Yes, but this was back when myself and many others on here thought that we would get a Spring (2015) release of "Fragile" followed by a Fall release of "Tales".
That was all thrown out of whack by the "Progeny" set, so I was hoping (and still am) that they would release "Tales" in the Fall and wait till next Spring (2016) for "Fragile".
It'll just be very disappointing to have waited a whole year for a new Yes remix only to have it be the one classic album that was already remixed for surround back in the day (even though that old mix sucks…)

I'll take any of the YES releases in any order just as long as I get them but I do feel your pain RT. :)

Glad you feel the same way.
I do however think that the wait for "Tales" if "Fragile" comes first will be less painful than the wait for "Trilogy" following "Brain Salad Surgery".

I'd like "Tales" first, as I think it would be "improved" considerably by a 5.1 mix to open it out, plus I've got Fragile on SACD & DVDA so I'm happy to wait for the new version.

I love Fragile. Knowing that there is a SW mix on the way means that my dvd-a copy will sit on the shelf. For all intents and purposes there is no Fragile 5.1 until Steven's version is released. So I will be completely satisfied if it is released before Tales. On the other hand, Tales out first would be awesome too. Yes by SW...really? Who cares what the release order is as long as we get both of them.

I love Fragile. Knowing that there is a SW mix on the way means that my dvd-a copy will sit on the shelf. For all intents and purposes there is no Fragile 5.1 until Steven's version is released. So I will be completely satisfied if it is released before Tales. On the other hand, Tales out first would be awesome too. Yes by SW...really? Who cares what the release order is as long as we get both of them.

I care because there already is a released 5.1 mix of "Fragile". Yeah it's not great, but it's better than no currently released 5.1 mix, which is the situation for "Tales".
I never cared much about the release order of the King Crimson series since none of them were released in surround before the series began (although I'm still puzzled why the other unreleased surround mixes haven't made it out yet, almost three years after the release of "Larks"). Same goes for XTC, especially since release order is completely dictated by tape availability.
But with Yes, it's a different story. The remix of "Tales" should be a vast improvement over the original stereo mix. SW's "Fragile" surround mix should definitely be better than the old surround mix, but I doubt his new stereo mix will be that much of a significant improvement over the original.
I'll still continue to stand on my stance that "Tales" should come before "Fragile".

I love Fragile. Knowing that there is a SW mix on the way means that my dvd-a copy will sit on the shelf. For all intents and purposes there is no Fragile 5.1 until Steven's version is released.
My Fragile SACD from Japan is sitting on the shelf unopened and unlistened to... When I lose my "Fragile 5.1 Virginity", I want it to be to Steven Wilson!

My Fragile SACD from Japan is sitting on the shelf unopened and unlistened to... When I lose my "Fragile 5.1 Virginity", I want it to be to Steven Wilson!

Ok, this is getting a little weird here…

One other thing I will say though is that no matter which Yes remix is released next, none will excite me more than any Roxy Music remixes that will be released this year! :)

Ok, this is getting a little weird here…

One other thing I will say though is that no matter which Yes remix is released next, none will excite me more than any Roxy Music remixes that will be released this year! :)

If Roxy's happening this year and it's a DVD-A they're leaving it a little late.. unless they're gunning for a Xmas release

If Roxy's happening this year and it's a DVD-A they're leaving it a little late.. unless they're gunning for a Xmas release

I'm thinking this (along with "The Seeds of Love") will be late fall releases.
It would be nice to get another SW remix over the summer though, especially since "Minstrel" is the only one of his remixes so far this year that has completely satisfied me (except for the no high-res part) ;)
And Panegyric haven't even begun to fight yet this year! :)

strange that the cover version of Abba's The Day Before You Came was included on the 2015 Volume 6 sampler from Kscope. Hint, hint hint.

I like the Blancmange version better. Let's put that out in 5.1. Oh, wait! Someone already said that. laughing003.gif

Back