Ok, Pick Just ONE title you REALLY, REALLY WANT IN MC(with conditions)....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The_Alan_Parsons_Project_-_I_Robot.jpg

I'd bet the title track alone would be mind-blowing.

Robin Trower's back catalogue could really do with serious remixing imho.. the remasters aren't great (bit bright and loud) and the original CDs aren't much good either (the old Chrysalis ones I've heard sound grungy and lifeless) but I think it's the mixes themselves as much as the fidelity of the original stereo mixes that is pretty rubbish too. Shame cos there's lots of lovely music there.

LOTS! but rules said i could only pick one :howl

On re-reading this thread from the beginning, I found it quite interesting. Started by Ed Bishop in March 2008, nearly 160 titles were nominated, mentioned or seconded as the number one wish for a MCH release. This is my unofficial tally, YMMV. At this date, about 8 have come true (Yes (2), Who, Tull, KC, ELP, Floyd, Talking Heads). Another two or so have been announced. Most posters didn’t follow the OPs “rules” properly (ie: anything by the Beatles) so I couldn’t determine a true winner. Also I suspect the diversity across the 160 titles has more to do with posters not wanting to choose a previously chosen selection than someone actually making a choice as THE one they would prefer.

Im surprised by a few things. No Hendrix or Springsteen albums mentioned by name. Also the number of obscure (to me) titles that were requested multiple times.

Here are the top 12 that were either mentioned by name or seconded (again your count may come up different).

5 votes Klatuu: 3:47 EST
4 votes Spirit: Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus
Marillion: Misplaced Childhood
Steely Dan: Aja
Ambrosia: Somewhere I've Never Traveled
Massive Attack: Mezzanine
3 votes King Crimson: In the court of the Crimson King
ELP: Trilogy
Kate Bush: The Dreaming
Radiohead: OK Computer
The Who: Who's Next
Pink Floyd: The Wall

My own choice would be Supertramp: Crime of the Century which totaled 2 votes in the thread. Or maybe Abbey Road… or PF Animals… or APP Turn of a Friendly Card …. GRRRR.

Anyway the top 3 in the list peaked my interest since I had never heard them. They also generated the most name dropping in the thread. So I went about obtaining them in stereo to hear what I was missing. After spending some time listening, I will say that I like them all. The Klaatu however, was the real standout for me. This is really a great disk and it has a wonderful history (google it). I’ve been playing it on my sailboat a lot and have pulled into the marina rocking “Anus From Uranus” several times now.

Anyway, please keep the thread going. Its great for re-discovering these gems

...snip...

The Klaatu however, was the real standout for me. This is really a great disk and it has a wonderful history (google it). I’ve been playing it on my sailboat a lot and have pulled into the marina rocking “Anus From Uranus” several times now.

Anyway, please keep the thread going. Its great for re-discovering these gems

i've always loved Klaatu...a group that's flown under a lot of peoples radar. and their story is fascinating! great you got to discover them...this place is awesome in that regard...(among many other things!) :sun

I second Klaatu's Hope. One of my all time favourites. It's got so much happening it would be great in MC. Apparently it might be appearing as hi-res at least. I emailed their website a while ago about hi-res and Terry Draper himself responded that they were talking to Capital about it.

Actually when I found 3:47 EST, it was part of a 5 disc anthology set including all 5 Klaatu studio albums. "Hope" is indeed good and nearly the equal of 3:47 EST IMHO, As is "Sir Army Suite". All five discs are worth a listen.

For those interested (I was), the title 3:47 EST is the time the alien Klaatu landed on earth in the movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still". The original movie from the 60's, not the crappy Keanu Reeves remake. You can get a wealth of information here http://www.klaatu.org/ and here http://www.klaatutheband.com/

Alice Cooper's "School's Out" would be tasty not just for the surround but to get some fidelity out of this wonderful title.

Ummmmm - never hear this band's name mentioned anywhere on these forums.............but they are one of Snood faves

WILCO

Snood would love to have "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" in surround

Nels Cline is a god ...............small g :banana:

School's Out is a sleeper! Watch Nice To See You Again Alice Cooper DVD for an impressive 'My Stars' mix.

Nels Cline is in town soon.

Still can't pick just one!

From QQ deep space

School's Out is a sleeper! Watch Nice To See You Again Alice Cooper DVD for an impressive 'My Stars' mix.

Nels Cline is in town soon.

Still can't pick just one!

From QQ deep space

U talking Nels Cline Solo?? Snood think Jeff Tweedy doing solo shows sooon............w/o Wilco

There's a Tony Visconti 5.1 mix of "Low" in the can, ready to be released whenever you like! :p

Source? That is great news if true. Who do I talk to about making it happen?

Re-read this one myself, and am torn between 3 albums here and no matter what I do I cannot get it down to just one.
So, in no particular order:

The Mission - Children. Hugely under-rated record often described as "The best album Led Zeppelin never made" which I feel is a bit harsh. Okay it was produced by John-Paul Jones and some tracks have a definitely familiar feel to them as a result of this - "Tower Of Strength" being a thinly disguised nod to "Kashmir", "Black Mountain Mist" would not have been out of place sung by Percy on LZ IV and so on. This, in the right hands, would make an awesome surround mix - but it would have to be someone like Steve doing the mix.

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs. His finest record, and the first one I bought back in '74. Just imagine what "Sweet Thing (reprise)" could be like in the closing section where you get a sound like heavy air brakes on a ridiculously large vehicle screaming around your head before it drops seamlessly into "Rebel Rebel" and the depth of despair that could be made from "We Are The Dead" - ooh, it sends shivers down the old spine, it does.

Queen - Queen II. Again, for me their finest moment. "Ogre Battle" in 5.1 - hell, the whole of "Side Black" really and not to forget "Father to Son". Bring on the '76 live releases!!

Source? That is great news if true. Who do I talk to about making it happen?

Re-read this one myself, and am torn between 3 albums here and no matter what I do I cannot get it down to just one.
So, in no particular order:

The Mission - Children. Hugely under-rated record often described as "The best album Led Zeppelin never made" which I feel is a bit harsh. Okay it was produced by John-Paul Jones and some tracks have a definitely familiar feel to them as a result of this - "Tower Of Strength" being a thinly disguised nod to "Kashmir", "Black Mountain Mist" would not have been out of place sung by Percy on LZ IV and so on. This, in the right hands, would make an awesome surround mix - but it would have to be someone like Steve doing the mix.

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs. His finest record, and the first one I bought back in '74. Just imagine what "Sweet Thing (reprise)" could be like in the closing section where you get a sound like heavy air brakes on a ridiculously large vehicle screaming around your head before it drops seamlessly into "Rebel Rebel" and the depth of despair that could be made from "We Are The Dead" - ooh, it sends shivers down the old spine, it does.

Queen - Queen II. Again, for me their finest moment. "Ogre Battle" in 5.1 - hell, the whole of "Side Black" really and not to forget "Father to Son". Bring on the '76 live releases!!

Here you go with the lowdown on Bowie's "Low" in 5.1...

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...David-Bowie-Low-mixed-by-Tony-Visconti-in-5-1

Also, there's said to be an SQ vinyl of Queen II but I've never heard it.

Cheers Fred.
I've done a decoded version of Queen II off a very early CD and it worked quite well - cannot remember if it was SQ or QS though (one worked, the other did not)

Cheers Fred.
I've done a decoded version of Queen II off a very early CD and it worked quite well - cannot remember if it was SQ or QS though (one worked, the other did not)

If your Queen II CD sounded anything like my old EMI (CDP 7 46205 2.. afaik the 1st CD press in Europe) what a knackered old tape source they used to make that CD! Mastering itself is ok but deary me, distortion, drop out, you name it! Interesting about the SQ/QS bit though, thanks.

Hmmm...Sounds like I'll have to check out the Queen II (2011 SHM-SACD) via the Surround Master.... :eek:[h=2][/h]

Back