Ok, Pick Just ONE title you REALLY, REALLY WANT IN MC(with conditions)....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grateful Dead - Live Dead. I believe there is a lot of potential for a surround mix of Live Dead just as there was for the subsequent two albums Workingman's Dead and American Beauty.

Renaldo and the Loaf - Songs for Swinging Larvae. I'm full of ideas for a surround mix every time I listen to it.

On a related topic, unreleased quad mix I'd love to hear, Laura Nyro - Eli and the 13th confession. I finally got around to software SQ decoding that Japanese LP with Eli's Coming on it.

In reply to the previous post, I think Anthem of the Sun is just screaming for surround mix, that's another one that I keep thinking of ideas on how to mix it every time

Ok, so I cheated to give 3 answers.

I've been on a big power pop binge lately and as Jellyfish have already been noted, (good choice!) I'll have to go with the guys with the best studio tan - XTC - "Skylarking" - produced by Todd Rundgren. "Lush, post-pychedelic pop"...AMG.

I was thinking of a thread like this...Think of releases that came out in quad, such as X and Y, which would be your favorite "Z" to see released that never came out in quad?...... I'd get a charge out of the Allman Brothers "Brothers and Sisters", no Duane, but still at the top of their game and some graet songs. :smokin John

Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Certainly not the most popular Floyd disc but it may be my favorite.
To me this work is criminally underappreciated. Perhaps it was just too complex to be enjoyed by the masses. As it is laden with sound effects and subtleties, I think it would be a 5.1 sonic treat.

Uhhgh, I can’t decide on one.

OK if I was just plain wishing, it would be for something from Marillion’s catalog.
Misplaced Childhood, Clutching at Straws, Afraid of Sunlight or Marbles.

I've been on a big power pop binge lately and as Jellyfish have already been noted, (good choice!) I'll have to go with the guys with the best studio tan - XTC - "Skylarking" - produced by Todd Rundgren. "Lush, post-pychedelic pop"...AMG.

Dave Gregory of XTC was recently on an Internet radio show that allowed fans to call in and ask him questions. I asked him if it were possible that we'd ever have a surround mix of "Oranges and Lemons." He said that once everything is worked out with Virgin Records (their old label), XTC would have the right to release surround sound mixes of their albums, but XTC would have to pay the production costs (which makes it doubtful that it will happen). He then agreed with me that "Oranges and Lemons" would benefit the most from a surround mix, as they did more overdubs for that album than any other. But "Skylarking" would certainly be cool to have as well.

So, if anyone out there is a professional surround mixer, and you want to make me and others very happy, get in touch with XTC and volunteer to remix their albums in surround, pro bono (like that'll happen).

J. D.

Some good suggestions here, like "Desolation Boulevard" -- I haven't thought of that album for a LONG time! "Sweet FA" and "AC/DC" will be stuck in my head for days now...

It would be easier to come up with a dozen or two suggestions than just one. Without a lot of headscratching, how about Boston's first album?

Put Tom on it now, and we should see it by 2018. :D

Mark Z

One of my muses...when she was still awake ;=)

Kate Bush- The Dreaming

"My favorite"
(Jean Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg)

... I KNOW that Hounds of Love is more------(fill in the blank, popular, mature, etc.) but I just LOVE Kate's mad LP....

I would have picked Close to the Edge also, but it sounds like they already tried that one and were missing tapes. So I get to pick two :) . I'd vote for Roger Waters' Amused to Death. Never thought the Q sound thing worked well enough and would really like to hear it in MC.

K

There are some really cool suggestion's here.I would have to go with one of my favorite albums. Kansas - Leftoverture. With the right mix I think that could could be incredible. Wow, this sucks! Now I really want to hear it! Great Thread!!

The Guess Who - Live at the Paramount
Steve Miller - Book of Dreams
Blue Swede - Hooked on a Feeling
Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack
Sweet’s - Desolation Boulevard (definitely would kick arse. Fox on the Run!!!!)
ANYTHING by Queen
ANY of the later Grass Roots Albums (Alotta Mileage, Move Along, S/T finale)

I could think of more if my brain were functioning today.

Some great titles here, but I'm surprised I'm the first one to say...

Steely Dan - Aja

An absolutely iconic late-70s masterpiece. Becker, Fagan and their sidemen firing on all cylinders, and then some. Fantastic sonics, given Becker's audio monomania. Excellent songwriting, superb playing, and one of Gary Katz' finest productions. A true synthesis of jazz and rock, without Top 40 radio realizing it at the time! Every track a winner. And never, ever released in MC of any sort.

Last edited:
Some great titles here, but I'm surprised I'm the first one to say...

Steely Dan - Aja

An absolutely iconic late-70s masterpiece. Becker, Fagan and their sidemen firing on all cylinders, and then some. Fantastic sonics, given Becker's audio monomania. Excellent songwriting, superb playing, and one of Gary Katz' finest productions. A true synthesis of jazz and rock, without Top 40 radio realizing it at the time! Every track a winner. And never, ever released in MC of any sort.

I doubt many people here will argue with you, but I've read that the masters are lost. If they weren't, I'd believe this would've come out many years ago.

Back