Opinion wanted: Quad Headphones

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
What do you think of quad headphones? Not the modern fakes that promises surround experience mangling and squeezing all the channels into two, but the old real quad headphones... with two stereo jacks. A total failure, a weirdo, somewhat useful, absolutely wonderful???

What do you think of quad headphones? Not the modern fakes that promises surround experience mangling and squeezing all the channels into two, but the old real quad headphones... with two stereo jacks. A total failure, a weirdo, somewhat useful, absolutely wonderful???
I have and old pair of Toshiba quadraphonic headphones that I really like. I think the key to a good pair of quad headphones is having the front and rear speakers far enough apart that you get at least some sense of separation. Too many quad headphones have drivers that are so close together that you aren't allowed much of a quad soundspace.

Unfortunately for my vintage Toshiba headphones (and probably a lot of other quad headphones of the era) is that the drivers suck! I literally cannot stand the abysmal fidelity so I never use them. I would like to replace the drivers, but trying to track down quality modern drivers with the same form factor of the old ones has proven to be a waste of time.

I wish someone would produce some quad headphones with those legacy design sensibilities coupled with modern audio technology.

legacy design sensibilities... does that mean just make a LARGE pair of coconut shaped phones? ;)

legacy design sensibilities... does that mean just make a LARGE pair of coconut shaped phones? ;)
Yes!!! Those big-ass honkin' headphones are the only way you can get the drivers far enough apart to make a difference. Otherwise, you just get stereo headphones with four drivers.

:banana:

(I'd give you a dancing coconut but all we have is a banana)

I used to have a pair of Koss quad headphones that I just loved. Of course I was probably 14 years old at the time. But I thought they gave a nice representation of quad.

I also owned the KOSS headphones that I liked alot. They were just the thing for listening to quad music when the family went to bed. The only hassle was the two sets of cables with extender cables to reach from the receiver to my listening chair. Unfortunetly a new puppy we got in the early 1980's thought the headphones were a teething ring and destroyed them. I still have the demo record that came with the headphones.

Justin

I've never heard much of a quad effect with several brands of quad headphones.

Me either. I've owned everything from cheapies to the big time Koss headphones with the little keypad. Can't remember if they were Phase 2+2's or 4+4's, but they were the one that got you the free QS LP with the Joe Walsh and Jimmy Buffett quad tracks on it.

Even with those, the quad effect was a bit of a stretch - more like a phasing thing.

Hello I would have to say I have the cadilac of Quad head phones three speakers in each side, seperate volume controls for left and right speakers. tone controls on both sides also. and when you flip the quad stereo switch it goes to the center speaker. foam seperating all three speakers in each side these have great seperation with vary little blead over. hand stiched leather pads ears and top. and they are coconuts 6 inch wide and 4 inch high ???????
Jim

Me either. I've owned everything from cheapies to the big time Koss headphones with the little keypad. Can't remember if they were Phase 2+2's or 4+4's, but they were the one that got you the free QS LP with the Joe Walsh and Jimmy Buffett quad tracks on it.

Even with those, the quad effect was a bit of a stretch - more like a phasing thing.

To answer my own post, they were Phase 2+2. There is actually a mention of them on the current Koss website!

Attachments

• muspics70s_prod_11_lg.jpg
    muspics70s_prod_11_lg.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 311
I have the K 2+2's from the 70's. They still sound great but the ear foam has seen better days. Talked to their CS people and was told I was SOL. I said well you are going to find more people who are into Vintage audio will be contacting you for help. I hope they will make a simple fix.

Hello I would have to say I have the cadilac of Quad head phones three speakers in each side, seperate volume controls for left and right speakers. tone controls on both sides also. and when you flip the quad stereo switch it goes to the center speaker. foam seperating all three speakers in each side these have great seperation with vary little blead over. hand stiched leather pads ears and top. and they are coconuts 6 inch wide and 4 inch high ???????
Jim

technics eah-420
new in the box still take them out to listen and then put them back

Mainly I used my old Technics quad headphones (I forget the model number) to monitor conversions at the computer. But because the fidelity was so bad, it became pointless. Now I just use stereo 'phones and monitor the fronts/backs separately. I wish my office was conducive to a proper surround-monitoring setup, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

I still have my old Koss 2+2 Quad Headphones, and they must be 31-32 years old. They still play like new, look like new, and also sounded very good, similar to a Koss Pro4A, but I agree, one certainly won't get the full true effect of quad like sitting in a room surrounded by speakers.

These have the bladder rubber Earpads similar to Koss Pro4A Phones, so no deterioration (yet) They have individual Volume Controls, and a 2/4 Channel Switch.

Downsides (like the Koss Pro4A) they are heavy, not exactly the type of headphone you'd want to wear for a great length of time in a warm room, and after a long period of wearing them your head feels like it was in a Vise. Mark

Last edited:
I have some Zenith quad headphones... but yeah... the fidelity is pretty bad. :\ They sure look cool though. I might replace the drivers on them someday. Who knows.

I have 3 pairs of quad 'phones, all of which look cool and leave a lot to be desired in the fidelity/seperation departments. Which is too bad, since I mix in quad on occasion and would like to have the ability to do the rough mixes on headphones while the kids are sleeping...

Is there concensus out there as to which set or sets of quad headphones had halfway decent fidelity? I have a 4 channel set of Mura's and a thrift store pair of Realistic NOVA 44's that sound better than the Mura's which I paid way too much for. (I think real separation is next to impossible due to driver location, but how about overall response, etc?) Was there a decent "quality" set of these with decent drivers, etc produced?

Steve

Back