Oppo BDP-93 Networking Universal Blu-ray Player

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking of buying the OPPO BD93. My Sony AV Receiver STR-DH820, doesn't decode pure DSD. Would the OPPO do this process ? Or is the only way i can get pure DSD is to purchase a receiver that will decode it ? ( i've had my receiver less than 12 months, so wouldn't want to have to change it so soon )
Thanks for any advice / info.

Hi Dixie, I am talking output. when you connect the Oppo with analog cables to your receiver, the Oppo will do the decoding. When you connect via HDMI toyour current receiver, you will have the Oppo convert DSD to PCM and your receiver will convert from PCM to analog.

You may want to try to access the manual here, http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/blu-ray-BDP-93-Support.aspx

Hi Dixie, I am talking output. when you connect the Oppo with analog cables to your receiver, the Oppo will do the decoding. When you connect via HDMI toyour current receiver, you will have the Oppo convert DSD to PCM and your receiver will convert from PCM to analog.

You may want to try to access the manual here, http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/blu-ray-BDP-93-Support.aspx

Thanks for your help. I was hoping i could just use one HDMI cable, but if that's the only way, then i'll have to buy some analog cables.
I know that a lot of people say there's not much difference ( or can't tell ) between pure DSD & DSD to PCM conversion, but i'm intrigued to find out for myself.

Thanks for your help. I was hoping i could just use one HDMI cable, but if that's the only way, then i'll have to buy some analog cables.
I know that a lot of people say there's not much difference ( or can't tell ) between pure DSD & DSD to PCM conversion, but i'm intrigued to find out for myself.

You are welcome. A quick look on the (Dutch) manual showed me that you only have 2.0 analog ins. Apart from that, your receiver is quite a beast :)

You are welcome. A quick look on the (Dutch) manual showed me that you only have 2.0 analog ins. Apart from that, your receiver is quite a beast :)

Yes, i've been quite happy with the performance of my receiver, but i've been looking at the manual, and like you say there's only 2 analog ins, which confuses me even more, because there's up to 8 audio outs on the Oppo. ( i assumed you would have to use 6 of those ? )
My old Sony amp had multi channel in connections, which was fairly straight forward, and even i could sort out !....but i'm begining to think, buying an Oppo might be a bad idea, because i'm not sure at all, about how to set it up !!
Anyway, hope i haven't troubled you too much, and thanks for the advice you've given.

Also, there was a time when all you had was analog connection for high res audio, before the HDMI cable, it was difficult to get dsd straight. The Oppo does a great job of handling that issue.My old ass receiver still kicks using the 5.1 analog ports.
I really think there is no difference in sound quality between the two methods of playback for sacd.
Keep your Oppo 93 and possibly one day you will upgrade to a compatable avr.

Also, there was a time when all you had was analog connection for high res audio, before the HDMI cable, it was difficult to get dsd straight. The Oppo does a great job of handling that issue.My old ass receiver still kicks using the 5.1 analog ports.
I really think there is no difference in sound quality between the two methods of playback for sacd.
Keep your Oppo 93 and possibly one day you will upgrade to a compatable avr.

I haven't decided to purchase one yet. I didn't do enough research when purchasing my receiver. ( in all honesty, i didn't realy know about pure DSD, or even about DSD conversion to PCM )

The Oppos sound really good for SACD playback regardless. And everything else...(y)

The Oppo playing SACD DSD coverted to PCM over HDMI is probably better than what you had before... Just my 2 cents worth...

Go for it...

The Oppos sound really good for SACD playback regardless. And everything else...(y)

The Oppo playing SACD DSD coverted to PCM over HDMI is probably better than what you had before... Just my 2 cents worth...

Go for it...

I still might...in all honesty, i've been very impressed with my Sony BDPS380. ( just wanted to listen to DSD ) so the Oppo must be quite impressive ? Read many great reviews.

I haven't decided to purchase one yet. I didn't do enough research when purchasing my receiver. ( in all honesty, i didn't realy know about pure DSD, or even about DSD conversion to PCM )

That sounds like me, 12 yrs ago. Before internet for me, and I made all the mistakes. Dolby, then we couldn't hear ,so then pro logic, then 4-5 different speakers, and all mis matched, different power to the channels. Until I finally got good advice.
Then I found QQ and it really took off, with Oppo and good advice.

Go for it...

I rediscovered my cd collection with this guy. It makes everything sound better. I never belived the hype about costly equipment until now. It's so true that you get just what you pay for.

Back