Ozark Henry - Paramount blu ray audio mixed by Ronald Prent

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like this very much; it's old fashioned but contemporary, al most like an album of bond movie themes in terms of tone and epic sound scapes. I really like his vocal and delivery and the arrangements are beautiful. But, given the rhapsodies about this being reference quality material, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It feels a little too hissy in the sibilant sounds, with a bottom end that fails to deliver big bass and a mid range that sounds a little muddled to my ears at least. I'm using a Martin Logan Motion set up - 40s in front, 60 in center and 15s in the rear, 5.1 DTS-HD MA.

Any thoughts on the mix from other owners?

But, given the rhapsodies about this being reference quality material, I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. It feels a little too hissy in the sibilant sounds, with a bottom end that fails to deliver big bass and a mid range that sounds a little muddled to my ears at least. I'm using a Martin Logan Motion set up - 40s in front, 60 in center and 15s in the rear, 5.1 DTS-HD MA.

Any thoughts on the mix from other owners?

I felt it lacked a cohesive representation of the orchestra but that is coming from a guy who has a strong feeling about how an orchestra should sound and there is no reason to presume that the producers had the same target in mind.

Yes. Far from reference.

Maybe I was a bit over excited and gave this a hasty reference quality disk status but people here who know what I respond to would know that this is in reference to I am a rock and roll listener which my library is made up of 98% rock stuff. I do not have the knowledge base that a Kal Rubinson has compared to symphony stuff and probably not a hearing level the same as some here as I suffer from tinnitus. I had just received Tesseract(this wasn't good for the tinnitus) and compared to that trust me this is a reference quality disk. I think the joy of how this was mixed is mostly what I am referring to as it is a you are in the middle of the mix recording as so many recordings I have heard of late are very front centric again this is from rock mixes that I have heard in 5.1.

I like what inquadyoutrust said as I got some of the same feel that some of the songs have that James Bond style of feel, that also put a smile on my face while listening to this recording.
If people are familar with Ronald Prent mixes than you will know what you are getting into here with this one.

I would not put this as a reference quality disk compared to true symphony stuff so sorry that I did not qualify that and frankly even if a symphonic recording was way better produced most of them aren't my cup of tea thats what I like about this recording its a old meets new, so good for this rock guy.

peter

Maybe I was a bit over excited and gave this a hasty reference quality disk status but people here who know what I respond to would know that this is in reference to I am a rock and roll listener which my library is made up of 98% rock stuff. I do not have the knowledge base that a Kal Rubinson has compared to symphony stuff and probably not a hearing level the same as some here as I suffer from tinnitus. I had just received Tesseract(this wasn't good for the tinnitus) and compared to that trust me this is a reference quality disk. I think the joy of how this was mixed is mostly what I am referring to as it is a you are in the middle of the mix recording as so many recordings I have heard of late are very front centric again this is from rock mixes that I have heard in 5.1.

I like what inquadyoutrust said as I got some of the same feel that some of the songs have that James Bond style of feel, that also put a smile on my face while listening to this recording.
If people are familar with Ronald Prent mixes than you will know what you are getting into here with this one.

I would not put this as a reference quality disk compared to true symphony stuff so sorry that I did not qualify that and frankly even if a symphonic recording was way better produced most of them aren't my cup of tea thats what I like about this recording its a old meets new, so good for this rock guy.

peter

I think we all have our opinions of what is and isn't reference, these sort of debates can run and run! I like hanging out here because at it's best, this forum is very much a collective under the grouping of surround music but with very differing tastes and experiences that we all share and discuss in a mostly civil and informal manner.

My own take having gone back to this again is that it is mastered way too hot or at least suffers from over compression at some stage during it's mix down and mastering. I really like it but even at low volumes it's still loud, at least to my ears.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained - I feel totally fine about finding this and ordering it based on a mention here :smokin

Just given it one quick play thru.. (and to be fair I'm still tweaking setup since "relocating" so i'll need to revisit down the line) but instantaneous response; not enamoured of Ozark Henry's voice.. or much of the material.. or most of the arrangements.. there were definite discrete things happening in the 5.1 presentation but nothing really stood out, maybe that was the intention.. or maybe it pans out better in Auro 3D/9.1.. I didn't have volume cranked at all so can't comment on any potential loudness issues that have been raised here already.. but I'm not feeling at this stage this will be a particularly frequently played disc unfortunately.. ah well, glad to see Sony getting more Blu-ray Pure Audio out there at least, even if its not totally floating my boat after just one listen it may well grow on me :)

Brilliant mixes, loud mastering but still worth buying. Songs are decent. Vocals are pretty good, not amazing.

Back