Pioneer DV 563A Hookup Challenge

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr8track

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
OK, this question is probably going to drive a lot of you out there crazy, but I'm going to ask it any way. After reading the reviews on this site for the Pioneer DV 563A Universal player, I decided to redeem my American Express Blue Rewards points and order one. Here's the problem that's kept me from ordering one up until now. I do not have a modern receiver with analog inputs for the 5 channels and subwoofer. I would prefer not to invest in a new receiver at this time. Is there a way I can make do with some of my existing equipment in the mean time?
Here's what I currently have;

Pioneer QX-949 - I use the four channel inputs for playback of all my quad era equipment.

Speakers - 4 Sansui SP -3500, Subwoofer, Proton Center Channel speaker

The Pioneer is only fed to the 4 Sansui speakers

Onkyo combo amp/dvd player - I don't recall the model on my unit, but it is an amp w/ built in dts and dolby digital decoders and a built in dvd player. This unit does not have the analog inputs needed for dvd-audio and SACD. I use this for playing back movies and dts cd's and cdr's. I also use the unit for playing back dvd-audio discs, utilizing the dts or dolby digital soundtracks.

I have a speaker switch system that allows me to switch the 4 Sansui speakers for play back on the Pioneer amp or the Onkyo amp. The subwoofer and center channel speaker are dedicated speakers for the Onkyo.

Soooooo.... For audio playback of dvd-audio discs and SACD discs on my Pioneer DV563A, what if I did this?
I run the four main channels (Front left & right and Rear left & right) into the Pioneer. That leaves me with no amp or speakers for the center and subwoofer. My center channel and subwoofer are not hooked up to a switch system like my 4 Sansui speakers.
Could I then incorporate an additional amplifier for the purpose of powering the center and sub? I've got plenty of extra quad and 70's era stereo receivers I could use for this. I also have some speakers I could use for the center speaker. I'd probably need to purchase a sub, but that's something I've been meaning to do anyway. For instance, if I used a stereo amp, could I just power the center speaker w/ one channel and a subwoofer w/ the other channel?
Or, another option; What if I ran my center channel of the DV563A to the speakers in my big screen TV? Then I could perhaps purchase an additional powered subwoofer for the subwoofer.
The one hitch I see in this plan is that I will need video playback in order to navigate the menu on the dvd-audio. But someone recently suggested a small, cheap B&W TV just for on screen monitoring.

Does this sound like it would work? I know the overwhelming advice will probably be to just buy a new receiver w/ 5.1 analog inputs, but where's the challenge in that? Right now I'd like to figure out the most economical way to use this new Pioneer DV563A that's on the way and still utilize my vintage gear.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Some of this is beyond me but it sounds like it might work. One thing that stands out though is that if you hook up the sub that way you would have a powered signal going into the LFE on the back of the sub. That is not good I would suspect. I would run the sub output directly from the player to the sub as the sub would have it's own built-in power supply and if you had a HT receiver the sub on the 6 analog inputs/outputs should only be a pass-through anyway. Can't vouch for the gain on the sub though and whether you would have enough bass.

dr8track said:
OK, this question is probably going to drive a lot of you out there crazy, but I'm going to ask it any way. After reading the reviews on this site for the Pioneer DV 563A Universal player, I decided to redeem my American Express Blue Rewards points and order one. Here's the problem that's kept me from ordering one up until now. I do not have a modern receiver with analog inputs for the 5 channels and subwoofer. I would prefer not to invest in a new receiver at this time. Is there a way I can make do with some of my existing equipment in the mean time?
Here's what I currently have;

Pioneer QX-949 - I use the four channel inputs for playback of all my quad era equipment.

Speakers - 4 Sansui SP -3500, Subwoofer, Proton Center Channel speaker

The Pioneer is only fed to the 4 Sansui speakers

Onkyo combo amp/dvd player - I don't recall the model on my unit, but it is an amp w/ built in dts and dolby digital decoders and a built in dvd player. This unit does not have the analog inputs needed for dvd-audio and SACD. I use this for playing back movies and dts cd's and cdr's. I also use the unit for playing back dvd-audio discs, utilizing the dts or dolby digital soundtracks.

I have a speaker switch system that allows me to switch the 4 Sansui speakers for play back on the Pioneer amp or the Onkyo amp. The subwoofer and center channel speaker are dedicated speakers for the Onkyo.

Soooooo.... For audio playback of dvd-audio discs and SACD discs on my Pioneer DV563A, what if I did this?
I run the four main channels (Front left & right and Rear left & right) into the Pioneer. That leaves me with no amp or speakers for the center and subwoofer. My center channel and subwoofer are not hooked up to a switch system like my 4 Sansui speakers.
Could I then incorporate an additional amplifier for the purpose of powering the center and sub? I've got plenty of extra quad and 70's era stereo receivers I could use for this. I also have some speakers I could use for the center speaker. I'd probably need to purchase a sub, but that's something I've been meaning to do anyway. For instance, if I used a stereo amp, could I just power the center speaker w/ one channel and a subwoofer w/ the other channel?
Or, another option; What if I ran my center channel of the DV563A to the speakers in my big screen TV? Then I could perhaps purchase an additional powered subwoofer for the subwoofer.
The one hitch I see in this plan is that I will need video playback in order to navigate the menu on the dvd-audio. But someone recently suggested a small, cheap B&W TV just for on screen monitoring.

Does this sound like it would work? I know the overwhelming advice will probably be to just buy a new receiver w/ 5.1 analog inputs, but where's the challenge in that? Right now I'd like to figure out the most economical way to use this new Pioneer DV563A that's on the way and still utilize my vintage gear.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

And looking at this further you would not want any processing to occur in your Sansui and I would suggest that you should also set your center channel to off in the player and have it automatically distribute the center to your 2 main speakers.

Guy Robinson said:
Some of this is beyond me but it sounds like it might work. One thing that stands out though is that if you hook up the sub that way you would have a powered signal going into the LFE on the back of the sub. That is not good I would suspect. I would run the sub output directly from the player to the sub as the sub would have it's own built-in power supply and if you had a HT receiver the sub on the 6 analog inputs/outputs should only be a pass-through anyway. Can't vouch for the gain on the sub though and whether you would have enough bass.

Back