Pioneer SA-9500 — Pre Amp For a QX-949a?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdog0622

Hi everyone
I was reading that the sa-9500 pre amp was very similar to the spec-1 pre amp
Would it make sense to use this piece of gear as a pre amp for my qx-949a?

Hi everyone
I was reading that the sa-9500 pre amp was very similar to the spec-1 pre amp
Would it make sense to use this piece of gear as a pre amp for my qx-949a?
Sounds like something that I might do.

I assume that you feel that the SA-9500 with its great specs would sound better than using the preamp inside the QX-949A. That sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. Many people would not like having the extra box sitting around especially with duplicating functions. If you run CD-4 you would still need to use the QX-949A preamp section, as well.

I think that the power amplifier inside the SA-9500 is also better rated (than that of the QX-949A) so you might even want to run it for the front channels. The hookup and operation would become a bit complex with running cables back and forth. If your OK with that by all means give it a try!

Sounds like something that I might do.

I assume that you feel that the SA-9500 with its great specs would sound better than using the preamp inside the QX-949A. That sounds like a reasonable assumption to me. Many people would not like having the extra box sitting around especially with duplicating functions. If you run CD-4 you would still need to use the QX-949A preamp section, as well.

I think that the power amplifier inside the SA-9500 is also better rated (than that of the QX-949A) so you might even want to run it for the front channels. The hookup and operation would become a bit complex with running cables back and forth. If you’re OK with that by all means give it a try!
Is there a diagram or some general guide to have the front speakers? Unfortunately I don’t have two sets of speakers for quad and my rear speakers are more efficient so having more power in the front might actually work out well also does RM or SQ use the pre amp in the 949a?

Is there a diagram or some general guide to have the front speakers? Unfortunately I don’t have two sets of speakers for quad and my rear speakers are more efficient so having more power in the front might actually work out well also does RM or SQ use the pre amp in the 949a?
You can feed the SA-9500 preamp output to the QX-949A aux input. The QX-949A preamplifier will not be needed for RM/SQ. The SA-9500 has pre-output and amplifier input jacks. Normally they are connected together by jumper plugs. The manual even mentions quad use of these jacks!

You can download owners manuals and service manuals for both units at HiFi Engine.

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/sa-9500.shtml
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/qx-949a.shtml

I've always been able to rely on my SA-7500. I've used her as a pre-amp and currently strictly for an amp with my rear speakers. People may scoff, but it drives my RF-7's just grand.

Of course, the SA put many hours in as a stereo integrated as well.

Back