Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,

We love you!
We really, really do!! Kiss..gif

I just finished the next Quadio title...
But I can't say which one.
All I can say is it was pretty awesome.:smokin

Let's hope it will be released soon... and not wait eight months as for CTA!

Thank you, Bob. :sun Could you, please, tell us in what condition you found this and the other master tapes in the vaults?

Hello and thank you Bob for the CTA disc,

I feel like we have 20 questions to try and guess all the info on the next release but don't know how many questions we have already used up.

Has the format of the next release been decided? You seem hesitant in early posts to list that format.

Thanks, Geoff

Bob,

How about a clue for us all............WEA or Capitol title? I would guess WEA at this point.

Bob,
:)
You must feel like a parent going into a toy store with all of your kids after telling them that they would all get the same great toy ...but you're not telling them....love the suspense though.

BTW, I listened to the WHOLE CTA from head to tails , and it IS a classic, and the sound is excellent, just PLEASE , have them do something more "useful" with the slides rather than the title and group name, we have the cover for that....

I am still waiting for my copy of CTA to arrive, so I can't really say anything on the sound quality, but it warms my heart to read comments like the following:
Old Quad Guy said:
The CTA disc was perfectly mastered sound wise and sounds great through vintage Quad equipment or my modern set-up "as is" and as it was meant to be. If I want more or less bass / treble I just turn a knob like back in the day, but I don't need to. The mastered disc's recording on CTA was thank god not "ruined" by modern "lossless wars" compression that kills the dynamic range of recordings. All of the dynamics of the original recording are here on the CTA title, mastered by one of the greats of the music industry.
Bob Vosgien said:
Thanks so much for the kind words on the mastering of the CTA disc. Your observations are amazingly spot on with regards to what I was trying to achieve with the mastering of this disc.
The volume control on our home systems really is a great device isn't it?

For me it's not just a release of some great music, it's also a document of that time, and of the thoughts and intentions of the original artists. So, mastering directly from the 1/2" tapes into 4.0 with neither noise reduction nor compression (I can understand the need for careful eq in places), and I'm happy as a clam!

My vote for future releases is as follows:

1. Close to the Edge, Close to the Edge, and Close to the Edge.

Then Atom Heart Mother, Aqualung, and anything by Gentle Giant.

Thanks to Bob Vosgien, both for doing a great job (apparantly), and for spending some time here. :banana::banana:(y)(y):D

Last edited:
Bob,
I just want to thank you for the GREAT work you and Rhino did on the CTA Quad disc. The sound is awesome and I have really enjoyed it. I am looking forward to your next release and you can count on my support for future releases. Thank you again.

Reagan

Last edited:
Bob, thanks so much for your past work and I'll say simply THANK YOU in advance for any/all upcoming releases. It is truly fantastic to once again have a label backing surround releases and I really look forward to the upcoming releases, no matter what they are :)

Cheers,
GabeL

I just listened to the stereo CD reissue of CTA from 2002. Not fun soundwise. :( Quite hammered, both with compression and eq.

Looking forward even more to the QUAD issue! :D

Where are these 60 titles mentioned? I don't see a listing here in this thread.

I will have the quad Chicago disk on Monday. That's when the UPS delivery is scheduled. I bought it as an add-on for my Jan & Dean order (after seeing the Jan & Dean item in an amazon seller listing for $50)... didn't even know it was available until last week.

Where are these 60 titles mentioned? I don't see a listing here in this thread.
In post #64 Bob Vosgien mentioned about 20 titles Capitol records is also considering releasing. Real exciting news! Many of the titles in Bob's list are unreleased Quad and some never even heard of before. It would be really cool if we could get releases of those titles as well. I believe it was all the rest of us here at QQ that recommended the other 40 titles! :) But there are most likely that and much more alone in the WEA catalog of Quadraphonic titles that should be released now. We were also able to bring attention to many rumored "Holy Grail" Quad mixes like "Sgt. Pepper" and Pink Floyd "Animals" Quadraphonic.

Back