Porcupine Tree "Fear Of A Blank Planet" - out early April

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Just a quick note to let everyone know the new album will be out in early April as a CD/DVD double set worldwide, with the respective labels being RoadRunner in Europe, Atlantic in the US and WHD Entertainment in Japan.
Pre-orders will probably be on SWHQ very soon. A word of warning however - there are some mail order sites in Japan listing a running order with an additional track. This does NOT exist, so do not order it & wait for the announcements.

Current details are on the Porcupine Tree website, www.porcupinetree.com
and include the track listing - only 6 tracks, but the great news for those of us who caught the last tour is that the 17 minute epic "anesthetize" is included, featruing a guitar solo from Alex Lifeson of "Rush" fame.
Other guest musicians include Robert Fripp on "Way Out Of Here".

Full track listing is:
  • Fear of a Blank Planet (7.28)
  • My Ashes (5.07)
  • Anesthetize (17.42)
  • Sentimental (5.26)
  • Way Out of Here (7.37)
  • Sleep Together (7.28)
More information as I get it.....

Last edited:
Thanks for that , Neil . Really looking forward to this as I'm travelling to see a show later in the month. I assume its a similar release to 'Stupid Dream' Cd/Dvd-A format. I believe Sw's also finished his reworking of 'Lightbulb Sun'. Any news on when that'll get a release ??

:banana:

~M~

It sounds like the initial cd+dvd release will be a DVD-V, and not a DVD-A. This is what they are talking about in the PT Yahoo group. At some point further along there may well be a DVD-A, or so it seems. Didn't we go through this with the last 2 releases? This could be good as many more people may wind up being exposed to surround sound. I'm not going to get too worried, SW hasn't let us down yet! I just hope I don't have to wait too long for the DVD-A.

I think it wll be a Dvd-A. Even his other project 'Bass Communion' got a Lossless release. Those who just have dts capability would still be covered and those that prefer mlp likewise. Their website only states that cd+5.1 will be together as standard ?

~M~

The talk was that it is a record company decision. We'll just have to wait and see, sounds like it still isn't finalized.

The talk was that it is a record company decision.
RoadRunner Records has a reputation of releasing different versions of albums over time, so the version with DVD-A might be one of them. The main question is when. Of course we hope in April 2007, same time as the CD :)

BTW: A 6 and a half minute compilation of the new album can be heard on MySpace (click) (not high quality)

Last edited:
Sure did.
It's one of the best albums I have heard for a long, long time.
Yet again, just when you think that you have this band all worked out, they go & change it all around - this is one intense record & deserves to sell by the bucketload!

Any news on whether this will be a Cd/Dvd-A set and is it ever going to be up for preorder :) ?

~M~

Any news on whether this will be a Cd/Dvd-A set and is it ever going to be up for preorder :) ?
I was in Roadrunner offices last week (for another band they have on their catalog). However, I jumped on the occasion to ask for the last details about the FOABP release, as what I read above worried me (DVD-V instead of the promised DVD-A ? please no !).

The latest info they had was : DVD-A. I really insisted whether it was DVD-V or DVD-A, and they showed me on the screen of their computer what was written in their file : DVD-A. Unless this is a MISTAKE, we'll get DVD-A, released the same day as the CD. To be clear, FOABP will be available as a CD (in a standard jewel case), and as limited digibook with CD + DVD-A.

It *could* be possible that it is a mistake, as this is the first record of PT out on Roadrunner Records, and we all know the common confusion about DVD-V and DVD-A. Besides, I can't think about any DVD-A ever released by Roadrunner ?

On the other hand, this would be the 4th DVD-A of a PT album, so I can't imagine that PT management would have this kind of mistake flying around in the promo sheets.

The limited version will be shipped in tiny quantities in some stores (I'm talking about Europe here, not the USA), and most of the copies will be available on Burningshed.co.uk.

Last but not least, just like Neil I have been able to listen to FOABP. I've been a fan since a long time (way before the DVD-A of In Absentia, but I'm glad that this DVD-A brought some attention !!!), and I thought it was impossible to beat either Lightbulb Sun, In Absentia and Deadwing. Well, I was wrong, much to my surprise FOABP still pushes the envelop. I don't know how they do this.

The CD has been spining a lot since I got my promo copy, but I just CAN'T wait for the surround mix now. OMG, FOABP is already a CLASSIC.

limited digibook with CD + DVD-A.
Thank a lot for asking, al information about this seems consistent, although not yet shown in the release lists. So a DVD-A it will be and at (about) the same release date. (I'll shut my ears if someone will say anything else) :)
I hope "limited" doesn't mean very limited and expensive, this is a chance to sell a quite a bunch of DVD-A's. (y)

edit: seems I have to shut my ears for quite some time, (thanks for clearing up though)

Last edited:
Time to clear up the confusion, methinks.
The initial CD/DVD double pack is NOT, repeat NOT a DVD-A, it is a DVD-V.
The DVD-A will come later on, when there will be extra material added such as extra tracks, video, possibly animations, photo gallery etc.
The limited edition initial release is just the straight album alone in 24/48 PCM stereo & 5.1 DTS, containing the exact same content as the CD.
(Except for the 5.1 of course, and the Mastering by Darcy Proper as usual)

The DVD-A will be a standalone release and is definitely coming.
You'll probably read about it first here.....

Time to clear up the confusion, methinks.
The initial CD/DVD double pack is NOT, repeat NOT a DVD-A, it is a DVD-V.
The DVD-A will come later on, when there will be extra material added such as extra tracks, video, possibly animations, photo gallery etc.
The limited edition initial release is just the straight album alone in 24/48 PCM stereo & 5.1 DTS, containing the exact same content as the CD.
(Except for the 5.1 of course, and the Mastering by Darcy Proper as usual)

The DVD-A will be a standalone release and is definitely coming.
You'll probably read about it first here.....

How much later?:(

The initial CD/DVD double pack is NOT, repeat NOT a DVD-A, it is a DVD-V
Thanks Neil, I'm gonna email my contact at Roadrunner to let them know that their sheet is incorrect. Maybe initially it was PLANNED to have a bonus DVD-A, and then this info was not corrected.

Anyway this news is really a bummer. I just can't see the added value of bonus DVD-V with only PCM stereo (even in 24 bits) and DTS 5.1.

I dont know how or why they call these things 'Special editions' when they issue them on the Dvd 'VIDEO' format without any 'video' content :( IMO the 'Special Editon' is the one with the Highest Rez and thats the way this should have been issued . The dts track could still be accomodated on a Dvd-A for those with only Dvd-V players.

Having said all that , I'm all over this release but , as with 'Deadwing' I will be replacing the dts disc with the Dvd-A and using it as a coaster.

I'll be very gutted if they make me wait too much longer on the proper 5.1 mlp version. Steven Wilson has been putting out material in CD/Dvd-A format , and this ,supposedly their best work yet should also have been issued that way.

~M~

I dont know how or why they call these things 'Special editions' when they issue them on the Dvd 'VIDEO' format without any 'video' content :( IMO the 'Special Editon' is the one with the Highest Rez and thats the way this should have been issued . The dts track could still be accomodated on a Dvd-A for those with only Dvd-V players.

Having said all that , I'm all over this release but , as with 'Deadwing' I will be replacing the dts disc with the Dvd-A and using it as a coaster.

I'll be very gutted if they make me wait too much longer on the proper 5.1 mlp version. Steven Wilson has been putting out material in CD/Dvd-A format , and this ,supposedly their best work yet should also have been issued that way.

~M~

It's exactly the same way Deadwing was done.
Plus, Record labels & distribution deals just do not work this way.
Sorry, but that is the way it is. Look at it this way - the glass is half full, not half empty. you're getting the surround mix earlier than you would otherwise.

Back