Quadio authoring

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey911

Does anyone know if the Quadio Blu Rays are authored with a silent centre and sub ?
My Yamaha Receiver does not decode 4.0 PCM.
I only get all four channels when my Oppo is set to bitsteam, Maybe I'm only hearing the DTS core and not the DTS HD audio.

Does anyone know if the Quadio Blu Rays are authored with a silent centre and sub ?
I only get all four channels when my Oppo is set to bitsteam, Maybe I'm only hearing the DTS core and not the DTS HD audio.
The Quadios are authored as DTS-HD 4.0, which means no silent center and sub.
Getting all four channels when your Oppo is set to bitstream means your Yamaha supports 4.0 sound...what's happening is that the Oppo is sending the DTS-HD MA audio directly to your Yamaha instead of decoding it to PCM first and then sending it. In fact in a lot of cases bitstream is preferred instead of decoding to PCM first. You can figure out if your Yamaha is playing the lossless stream if the display indicator says "DTS-HD MA".

What Yamaha model do you have?

The last few batches have been authored as 4.0 without silent channels

The Quadios are authored as DTS-HD 4.0, which means no silent center and sub.
Getting all four channels when your Oppo is set to bitstream means your Yamaha supports 4.0 sound...what's happening is that the Oppo is sending the DTS-HD MA audio directly to your Yamaha instead of decoding it to PCM first and then sending it. In fact in a lot of cases bitstream is preferred instead of decoding to PCM first. You can figure out if your Yamaha is playing the lossless stream if the display indicator says "DTS-HD MA".

What Yamaha model do you have?
It's an RX-V2085 with the latest firmware upgrade. the display says "DTS" not "DTS-HD MA".
I've just noticed it won't decode the stereo stream correctly either, everything shows in the display as DTS 5.1
I'm also having the same problem with the "Moondace" Blu Ray, the Atmos, DTS-HD MA 5.1 and Stereo streams all come up as "DTS"
I have lots of other discs which play the streams correcly.

Last edited:
On your AVR, do you have settings for either Pure Audio or Direct? You might try them and see if you hear a difference. These darned electronics....
With my AVR's remote I can hit the "info" button and the input and output streams/codecs are displayed, maybe yours does?

do you have settings for either Pure Audio or Direct?
I was going to say the same thing, with these functions you can bypass the processing of your Yamaha.
Also on your remote, you might have a function button, that enables a few choices of output, ie; Multichannel, Stereo, Atmos, etc.
If you do have that ability, for Quadio Blu Ray discs, choose Multichannel.
@smokey911

I have a Yamaha receiver very similar...although an older model. It supports 4.0 in DTS-HD and TrueHD, and technically PCM, but sometimes gets confused with PCM channel mappings if not defined correctly. However, I bitstream almost everything, and when bitstreaming I get a clearly defined DTS or DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA instead of just DTS...makes me thing there may be a compatibility setting turned on in the Oppo by chance that's only sending the core audio.
You are sending the audio over HDMI, right? Because TOSLink/Optical can't handle lossless multichannel...

I have a Yamaha receiver very similar...although an older model. It supports 4.0 in DTS-HD and TrueHD, and technically PCM, but sometimes gets confused with PCM channel mappings if not defined correctly. However, I bitstream almost everything, and when bitstreaming I get a clearly defined DTS or DTS-HD or DTS-HD MA instead of just DTS...makes me thing there may be a compatibility setting turned on in the Oppo by chance that's only sending the core audio.
You are sending the audio over HDMI, right? Because TOSLink/Optical can't handle lossless multichannel...
You've hit the nail on the head, I had secondary audio switched on in the Oppo.
I was only getting the DTS core over HDMI.
With the secondary audio switched off in the Oppo all the audio streams play correctly.

My Oppo 105 plays 4.0 just fine. I use the analog outs, so I know it’s the Oppo doing the decoding.

I understand that some gear doessn’t like that. @smokey911, I’m glad you got it working.

Back