Quadrophenia due out in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They played back the SQ (or QS) test pressing for a stereo compatibility comparison (it was intended to be released as quad-only) and it sounded "flat and mono", so they scrapped that idea and made a stereo mix. No word if the quad master exists.

They played back the SQ (or QS) test pressing for a stereo compatibility comparison (it was intended to be released as quad-only) and it sounded "flat and mono", so they scrapped that idea and made a stereo mix. No word if the quad master exists.

I think it could well have been QS-encoded, as Pete was a fan of Sansui around this time, afaik.

Back in the day, people would say "I only have one Quadraphonic album - Quadrophenia." :mad:@: This box is my 5th copy of Quadrophenia. It's the only one that's Quad (5.1), and it's only part of the album at that. Maybe one day, we'll ACTUALLY have the whole album in Quad (5.1). I'm sure they'll release it only in a $250-$350 ultra-deluxe box set. After all, it's from Universal, the same folks who bring you $60 single-layer 2 channel SHM-SACD's that sound worse than the equivalent CD. :howl

No offense intended to Neil Wilkes.

I think it could well have been QS-encoded, as Pete was a fan of Sansui around this time, afaik.

I think the problem was Pete would have preferred it to be in QS, but The Who were on MCA at the time and they used SQ. Dave Marsh in Before I Get Old indirectly supports that. As Quadwreck posted, Pete was unhappy with the result the chosen system gave.

My recollection is that the original stereo mix was a fold-down of the planned quad release, which may be why that original mix gave good results when played back in QS, but I can't find a source for this.

Back