Quadrophenia now streaming in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I listened to the whole Quadrophenia album in Atmos on Apple Music today, and I hate to be a nay-sayer but unfortunately, I didn't love it. Very front-heavy, with occasional piano, horns and backing vocals in the surrounds, along with of course the sound effects (ocean waves, TV voices, etc.). Entwistle's bass sounded good, but something about the overall sound quality was off to me, not really crankable, kind of harsh sounding. I feel like it could have been so much better with the right mixer. I went back and listened to a few tracks in hi-res stereo (Qobuz) and I much preferred the stereo.

I really hope that they release this mix on physical media.
Given that Quadrophenia received its "Director's Cut" box set back in 2011, I wouldn't expect anything akin to the Who's Next | Life House box, but perhaps another standalone Blu-ray like the one from 2014 containing the full 5.1 mix? I think Pete Townshend is a proponent of physical media, so I certainly hope so, regardless of how good the mix is.

I listened to the whole Quadrophenia album in Atmos on Apple Music today, and I hate to be a nay-sayer but unfortunately, I didn't love it. Very front-heavy, with occasional piano, horns and backing vocals in the surrounds, along with of course the sound effects (ocean waves, TV voices, etc.). Entwistle's bass sounded good, but something about the overall sound quality was off to me, not really crankable, kind of harsh sounding. I feel like it could have been so much better with the right mixer. I went back and listened to a few tracks in hi-res stereo (Qobuz) and I much preferred the stereo.
How are you listening to this? I thought it was very balanced, not front heavy at all. I may like the Atmos mix better than Lifehouse.

I listened to it right after listening to Who's Next and the difference was significant. Quadrophenia felt like a let down in comparison. Soundsstage and fidelity were not nearly as good. Admittedly I was listening to one from a blu-ray and streaming the other, but I don't think the difference should have been that extreme.

Does anyone know if this album had the same number of multitracks to work with as Lifehouse?

I just listened to some of it. The bass in the mix is much better in the ATMOS compared to the 5.1 mix, and I think the overall mix in ATMOS is quite good but I wouldn’t say it’s better than the 5.1.

All that said, the sound quality of the lossless 5.1 mix is significantly better than the streaming ATMOS. If you like the streaming ATMOS mix, don’t ever listen to the 5.1 from a disc! It’ll ruin it for you!

It’ll ruin it for you!
No it won't. I go between lossy and lossless every day. There are too many great mixes that are only available in a lossy format on DVD or streaming. If I wanted to "ruin" an average mix, I would first listen to Kraftwerk 3D. That will make a much more jarring difference than simply going from a lossless format to a lossy one.

No it won't. I go between lossy and lossless every day. There are too many great mixes that are only available in a lossy format on DVD or streaming. If I wanted to "ruin" an average mix, I would first listen to Kraftwerk 3D. That will make a much more jarring difference than simply going from a lossless format to a lossy one.
You misunderstand me, I think. I listen to a lot of ATMOS on Apple Music and it’s really enjoyable. However, I recently pulled out the BluRay of Abbey Road after listening to the lossy Apple Music version. Now I can’t unhear the significant difference between the two.

You misunderstand me, I think. I listen to a lot of ATMOS on Apple Music and it’s really enjoyable. However, I recently pulled out the BluRay of Abbey Road after listening to the lossy Apple Music version. Now I can’t unhear the significant difference between the two.
Sorry to hear that. My point is that a quality mix and mastering make a much larger difference. I shuffle between lossy and lossless tracks regularly. I would rather listen to the better mix in a lossy format. I prefer the new Atmos mix of Quadrophina over the Blu-ray. Thankfully I have Abbey Road Blu-ray ripped to my library, so I don't have to worry about the streaming version.

Back