R.E.M. "Up" (25th Anniversary 2CD + Blu-Ray Edition out in November!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The blu-ray mix is quieter, but still dynamically-compressed the same amount. That is to say that the mix will sound the same if you turn up the volume a bit, with one exception: I believe the LFE in the newer, blu-ray release is properly synced to the mix, unlike the earlier DVD-A release, in which it was out of phase.
How do you tell from the waveforms that the bass is out of phase?
Thanks again 🤔

I can't say Up is my favorite album by REM. IIRC I listened one time and put it in the racks.
OOT still gets played about once a month, and though I have all the DVDA's it's the only one I listen to on any regular basis.

OOT was sort of a departure from earlier REM in that it's more of a "studio album" with a variety of artists contributing, and with good results IMO. If there is one album I want to see given the Atmos treatment it's OOT. I think Scheiner did a good job mixing OOT, but I don't know if any treatment of Up would make me a fan of the album.

Probably time to revisit Up and see if the years have made it kinder to my ears.

edit: "The Best of R.E.M." also get airplay in the mandrix audio room.

Last edited:
You look to see if the start of the LFE waveform lines up with the start of LF/RF. If it precedes or lags behind, it may be out of phase.

[Tres Discrete --- so you would have to zoom in to much smaller time intervals than the previous screen shot :) This issue has been known generally for years so is not related to the screen shots.]

Is the "LFE out of phase" a time alignment problem or is it the +/- input for the LFE mixing was reversed? This out of phase problem seems to pop up often with surround releases. In cases like this, would installing a switch that would reverse the polarity of the LFE signal being sent to my subs amps correct the problem so I don't have to rip and reassemble the disc or files?
(My QS800 has switches to reverse the polarity on rear left and/or right channels and that is what got me thinking about this.)

Is the "LFE out of phase" a time alignment problem or is it the +/- input for the LFE mixing was reversed? This out of phase problem seems to pop up often with surround releases. In cases like this, would installing a switch that would reverse the polarity of the LFE signal being sent to my subs amps correct the problem so I don't have to rip and reassemble the disc or files?
(My QS800 has switches to reverse the polarity on rear left and/or right channels and that is what got me thinking about this.)
Generally speaking, reversing the polarity doesn't fix the issue (it would for Beck's Guero release, though). The out-of-phase issue is generally a time-alignment problem, as putting a low-pass filter on a signal moves the signal a bit later than it was originally. That's why LFE channels that do not have low-pass-filtered content are in-phase with the rest of the mix most of the time.

Love this album. I already have the DVD-A release but they're my #2 band of all time, so I got the new release as well. Completist!

The volume difference, shown by the different heights in the waveforms, seem irrelevant. As per Dynamic Editor's comment; you would just have to change the volume to hear the same. At the 24 bit depth; nothing to talk about here I think.
Random thought - could the volume difference be explained by straight dumping the original 16 bit samples into the 24 bit blu-ray without resampling?

You need to open out the time-base and look at the waveform shape at the sample rate, its most likely not clipped at all, so if there are flats on the top/bottom when you look at a few samples then its clipped. You also get visual aliasing when looking at a long periods, so you don't see what is really there.

My copy arrived last night, studying the booklet now.
R.E.M., completely opposite of other bands that have consistent size boxsets, R.E.M. size boxsets are all over the place.
Wonder why?
I also own the previous 2005 version.
Looks like the biggest difference is the video content on the 2023 Blu Ray?
I wonder if I will be able to hear the difference of the 5.1 surround album?

Saw this at a local vendor , and it's $52.00 CDN . That's much cheaper than the last 2 REM re-issues which were around $99.00 ea.
So I will probably pick it .. UP .

2005 DVD 5.1 vs 2023 BD 5.1.
Very similar, likely the same.
The DR's on the 2023 Blu Ray are 9, 10's, 11's, 12's. That is a tick up from the 2005 DVD.
Just listening with ears, the 2023 Blu Ray, maybe a touch better, probably placebo on my ears.
The liner notes, videos, and CD 2 Live recording are better than the 2005.

Back