Ray Sings, Basie Swings SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Felix E. Martinez

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Once in a while, we get a jem of a surround release. Lately, it seems these moments are few and far in between.

Bless Telarc and Concord for the hi-res surround version of Ray Charles and The Count Basie Orchestra's "Ray Sings, Basie Swings", to be released September 25.

More often than not, non-linear digital audio tools get a bad rap. Here is a release that makes brilliant use of all the best that technology can give us. As you may know from the CD release from last Fall, "Ray Sings, Basie Swings" combines archival tracks from Ray Charles' live performances from the mid-1970s and brilliant new recordings of arrangements and performances by the Count Basie Orchestra. I have an advance copy of the hi-res surround release from Telarc and it is truly stunning. Very aggressive discrete 5.1 surround, and the integration of Charles and the big band orchestra is breathtaking. Audio is 96/24 transcoded to DSD on a hybrid SACD. Sounds fabulous. Great mix and mastering by Michael Bishop.

Drop by your nearest online surround music shop and pick this one up - highly recommended!

Last edited:
Telarc is also supposed to release the new LAGQ -"Brasil" on SACD on 9/25 - any advance word on this fron Felix? Last one was not discrete but enjoyable nonetheless.

Haven't seen the LAGQ. I will ask Telarc about it; thanks for the reminder. Hope they go back to the aggressive mixing approach of the first surround release.

Just heard back from Telarc - LAGQ is on its way. Advance copies are just about to go out, so I'll be happy to post some thoughts when I receive it. And no, unfortunately Candy Dufler will be CD-only.

I take back what I said about PCM-to-DSD transcoding. Here's more technical info on the SACD surround version of Ray Sings:

"Working with the project's original 96kHz/24-bit PCM multi-track source masters, Bishop employed the finest digital-to-analog converters available to bring the individual tracks into a custom analog mixing console at Suma Studios. A combination of custom and vintage analog processors were used for treatment of vocal and instrument tracks in the analog mix rather than the customary PCM software 'plug-ins' often used in digital mixing. The Basie Orchestra, featured soloists and the Raelettes were physically brought out into the 5.1 environment. That process involved creating a virtual three-dimensional acoustic space for them without losing the clarity and tactile quality of the performances. These surround 'spaces' were recorded completely in an analog and DSD domain while the surround mixes were being done.

"The final 5.1 surround mixes were recorded directly to a Sonoma DSD workstation through EMM Labs DSD converters. The SACD master was produced on a SADiE DSD workstation which retained the integrity of the single-bit DSD surround mixes..."

And for the hi-res stereo option on the SACD:

"'We were fortunate that a 96kHz/24-bit PCM stereo master from the source 96kHz PCM stereo mixes had been prepared by Doug Sax for use as a...vinyl LP cutting master,' Bishop explains. 'This master was transferred to DSD to be used as the stereo DSD SACD master and fully retains the dynamics and resolution of the original 96kHz stereo mixes. The hybrid CD program on the SACD was produced from the original Concord CD's 44.1kHz/16-bit master and is identical to that original release.'"

Last edited:
This release is fantastic. Like sitting in a small intimate setting with Ray and an Orchestra. You couldn't tell that the orchestra was "grafted" onto Ray's vocals from another point in time. It's a 10 out of 10. Highly recommended.

I actually like this better than the "Genuis Loves Company" release. As a long, long, long time RC fan, the power of his magnificant instrument -- his voice -- comes through as strong and confident on this one. The GLC release was much like the later Billie Holiday releases. You could glimpse, but not hold, what had been.

I actually like this better than the "Genuis Loves Company" release. As a long, long, long time RC fan, the power of his magnificant instrument -- his voice -- comes through as strong and confident on this one. The GLC release was much like the later Billie Holiday releases. You could glimpse, but not hold, what had been.

I like this one better than "Genius Loves Company" as well. The difference as you have said is that is RSBS, Ray is at the top of his game. In "Genius" he is waning and at the bottom of the curve and you can tell.

I just picked this title up at my local Fry's which seems to be downsizing and letting go of all SACD, DVD-A and DTS titles. This is a real gem of a recording, a great use of modern non-linear recording technology (for a change) and a real keeper. I have heard big bands swing better but this is still really good for the 21st century. This project was obviously done with great love and respect and showcases a great man in his prime. 1 point off for slightly less than stellar Basie feel - 9 out of 10.

I just picked this title up at my local Fry's which seems to be downsizing and letting go of all SACD, DVD-A and DTS titles. This is a real gem of a recording, a great use of modern non-linear recording technology (for a change) and a real keeper. I have heard big bands swing better but this is still really good for the 21st century. This project was obviously done with great love and respect and showcases a great man in his prime. 1 point off for slightly less than stellar Basie feel - 9 out of 10.

Hmm, the local Fry's in Palo Alto still has a prominently displayed and labeled SACD section here.

I like this one better than "Genius Loves Company" as well. The difference as you have said is that is RSBS, Ray is at the top of his game. In "Genius" he is waning and at the bottom of the curve and you can tell.

Agreed. This Surround Sound SACD is very good. And the two Quincy Jones arrangements on the album really swing !

Back