RCA Quad LPs to Be Reissued in SACD Surround?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Here's an interesting comment from the new RCA Living Stereo SACD web site at http://www.livingstereo-sacd.com/news/index.jsp

Apparently the success of the just released RCA Living Stereo SACDs has the label thinking about reissuing some of their 70's Quad discs in Multichannel. Hmm !

>>Q: I recently came across a listing of Quad LPs and tapes that were available during the 70th from RCA. By the way I owned many of them and listened to them until they were completely worn out. RCA Quadro Listing >

Are there any plans at RCA to release at least the classical titles in their original mix which means 4.0? Just a thought since Pentatone had good success in making the old Quadmasters of Philips available to the public.

Daniel Guss: We want to see how the Living Stereo SACDs are received before we branch out, but some of the quadraphonic recordings are definitely worth considering for multi-track remastering.

John Newton This is an internal BMG question. The exisistence of this quad material suggests that the original tapes be studied to see if the programs are marketable and if the tapes are condusive to release in 4 or 5 channel format. <<

I picked up two yesterday. They were 3 channel like the Mercury Living Presence I also grabed yesterday.
Some of the Bartok disc is stereo only in the surround mode, other parts are 3 channel

Brian,

That would indeed be good news. Nilsson Schmilsson, Guess Who, Jefferson Airplane - those would be a good start! :D

(With our luck, they'd start with "The Complete Danny Davis Collection"! :D

:-jon

solaris said:
I picked up two yesterday. They were 3 channel like the Mercury Living Presence I also grabed yesterday.

Some of the Bartok disc is stereo only in the surround mode, other parts are 3 channel

Right. I have a break down of the 3 Channel and 2 Channel distribution of the RCA Living Stereo SACD series over on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=11865621

Now that i have listened to the discs, I must say the 3 channel effect is great. I owned the Bartok in CD form but the definition in the SACD is much better. I will buy more of these as the price of $9.99 CDN about $7 US is great. The Mercury Living Presents runs $14.99 CDN.
So I just picked up Tavener Total Eclipse MC Hybrid SACD $19.99 CDN and the CD was $23.99 at the same store. That was a little strange.

Kal Rubinson said:
BTW, the Mussorgsky/Russian Favorites should be in the mixed category since not all the selections are in 3-channel.

Kal

I'll check into that when I get the SACD. The 2 Channel/3 Channel track info is from the label. Perhaps they are mistaken on that one !

bmoura said:
I'll check into that when I get the SACD. The 2 Channel/3 Channel track info is from the label. Perhaps they are mistaken on that one !

Well, they were more mistaken on their first released listing. OTOH, when I played the disc the center-channel disappears for the Tchaikovsky March Miniature.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
Well, they were more mistaken on their first released listing. OTOH, when I played the disc the center-channel disappears for the Tchaikovsky March Miniature.

Kal

Well, that definitely means it's not a 3 Channel mix.

I don't understand how one disc will have a stereo and two channel suround layer with no 3 channel content. I think the Ravel: Daphnis Et Chloe is like this

After I have received from the german BMG the flyer for their 3-channel SA-CD's I have mounted also 2 flyers with some self-shot covers of well RCA "Living Quadro" LP's from my own colletion. And I have asked: Why not also some re-issues from the many quadraphonic pop productions for SA-CD with the original 4-channel mix, which needs no more studio or remix-working.
I think, it is important, hat the younger staff in the record firms will alltogether and most at first time know, that early surround-productions will exist in their firm achives. Let's hope, that here are a few, who will catch this suround-ball. Dietrich

Back