Rhino - Quadio - Album Request List ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfbkfb

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I don't know how the Rhino division of the Warner Music Group selects quad mixes for release on their Quadio series.

It might be interesting (and maybe useful to Rhino) to see a list of quad mixes (that Rhino has current access to) that are highly thought of here on QQ, this type of marketing information seems like it would be difficult to obtain otherwise (there are basically just reviews of the quad mixes in the monthly audio magazines published during the quad era).

Kirk Bayne

I know folks have worked on showing lists of possibilities for Rhino Quadio but I wouldn't mind seeing it again. Also, I wouldn't doubt that the knowledge base from this group could be of use to decision makers at Rhino.

One thing you have to remember when you think about these lists of great releases that labels like Rhino and Dutton-Vocalion seem to generate around these parts is that the people at the forefront, like Steve at Rhino and Mike at DV want to put out the same discs you (and I) want, the no brainers, like the Eagles, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Deep Purple, Edgar Winter, Simon & Garfunkel, etc. These titles would be guaranteed sell outs and would boost the profile of these reissue labels. Of course they want them out there.

However, these titles are the most difficult to release due to permissions and artist approvals. Just because a label can issue a stereo CD as a deluxe anniversary super special edition every 3 or 4 years, going off the grid requires permissions that might not be easy to come by if attainable at all. Sadly, a quad release is considered 'off the grid'.

Just be aware that those putting this stuff together know what the 'good stuff' is and what we all want. It's a matter of plowing through the legal and red tape crap that needs to get done before some titles can see the light of day, if ever.

The polls here in QQ could be useful in helping to determine which Quad mixes are highly thought of and thus are possible candidates for Quadio releases (in most cases, only the stereo mix of albums that also had a Quad mix were reviewed in the monthly audio magazines back in the Quad era)

Kirk Bayne

How about Bread / Best Of, Hot Tuna / Burgers, Jefferson Airplane / Volunteers, Bette Midler / Divine Miss M, Joni Mitchell / Court and Spark, ZZ Top / Tres Hombres, or maybe even Absolute Elsewhere / In Search of Ancient Gods?

ZZ Top Tres Hombres would be a instant buy for 95% of the QQers here. Yellow ampex cart with lousy sound, at least this one had a decent quad reel that made us survive until today :)
Another title that can have good traction is Roberta Flack Killing Me Softly.
Since the War masters can be accessed, Deliver the Word and War Live.

I would LOVE to see Quadio reissues of Quad titles that were previously released on OOP SACD's that are now insanely spendy. Billy Cobham's Spectrum is 1st on the list.

I raise my hand again...
Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

How about Bread / Best Of, Hot Tuna / Burgers, Jefferson Airplane / Volunteers, Bette Midler / Divine Miss M, Joni Mitchell / Court and Spark, ZZ Top / Tres Hombres, or maybe even Absolute Elsewhere / In Search of Ancient Gods?
Nice suggestions, but Best of Bread was already released, by Audio Fidelity. It's out of print now.

I believe Steve at the party for the second batch was asked about ZZ Top. And if I’m remembering the video from the party correctly (not on YouTube anymore), said that they didn’t have the Quad master. They think all the master tapes were in the possession of the Bass player Dusty Hill. Because he used the multi-track tapes in the 1980s to produce the electronic remixes of their classic albums.

So, hopefully at some point the missing Quad mix might be found. And clearances approved for a release. But, it just goes to shows how much work needs to be put into trying to get a release out there. So, we must be thankful for all the hard work that goes into getting titles out there. And, most importantly, with our support and purchases of the titles when we get a release of something in Quadraphonic.

Speaking of Bread, there were two Quad releases, and a rumored unreleased “Best of Vol. 2.”

BREAD -

Baby I'm-a Want You. Elektra EQ-5015 (CD4), ESTQ-5015-QF (QR),
8Q-5015 (Q8), Electra QP-11003E (CD4) [Japan]

Best. Elektra EQ-5056 (CD4), ESTQ-5056-QF (QR), 8Q-5056 (Q8)

I would LOVE to see Quadio reissues of Quad titles that were previously released on OOP SACD's that are now insanely spendy. Billy Cobham's Spectrum is 1st on the list.
i wish they would reprint best aretha in quad on bluray, and maybe chicago transit...by the way anybody knows where to get world ghetto by war quadio bluray in europe? thanks
Four hours remaining on an eBay sale for the Chicago, really good price atm...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1665844039...hash=item26c93447e2:g:BmMAAOSwlI1ltApY&itmprp

Back