Rhino - Quadio - Album Request List ?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quadio ? Id know "quadro" of course but maybe quadio means something different here
Please humour me & explain this term to me as if to a dyslexic dog
( Im more like a short sighted tomcat)

The disc shows a DVD-Audio logo on it, which I don't believe is a lossy format.

Strangely enough, there is a DVD-Audio logo on the CTA Quadio single disc. Apparently it was originally supposed to be a DVD-Audio (Much like the box set of Bjork, which also shows DVD-Audio logos but came out as DualDiscs instead). By the time the Aretha came out, the logo was DVD only, the 'Audio' text was removed)

I asked Bob Vosgien back when it came out as to why they did not make these DVD-A's, since the DVD-A would play in any DVD player as well as in HiRez in a DVD-A player, and he said..............

"The DVD-A label on the package was a typo. Warners is not supporting DVD-A anymore and they also wanted this disc to be more compatible with the general public. I pushed for the DTS 96-24 stream and I can assure you it sounds VERY close to my original 96k/24bit files. The next series(if it happens) will most likely be Blu-Ray... so there you go...."

CTA Quadio.jpg

Quadio ? Id know "quadro" of course but maybe quadio means something different here

The Rhino division of WMG originally continued to use the word Quadradisc for their optical disc quad mix releases, but since a Blu-ray audio isn't strictly a Quadradisc, Rhino selected the name Quadio for their 4.0 DTS-HD Blu-ray (mostly audio) releases.

Kirk Bayne

I believe Steve at the party for the second batch was asked about ZZ Top. And if I’m remembering the video from the party correctly (not on YouTube anymore), said that they didn’t have the Quad master. They think all the master tapes were in the possession of the Bass player Dusty Hill. Because he used the multi-track tapes in the 1980s to produce the electronic remixes of their classic albums.

So, hopefully at some point the missing Quad mix might be found. And clearances approved for a release. But, it just goes to shows how much work needs to be put into trying to get a release out there. So, we must be thankful for all the hard work that goes into getting titles out there. And, most importantly, with our support and purchases of the titles when we get a release of something in Quadraphonic.
I sure hope they'll find the tapes so the quad-mix of TH can be released. Early ZZ Top is insanely good!

I also hope they'll release the quad mix of Dolly Parton's Bobbling Over.
I'd buy that in a heartbeat. :)

I believe Steve at the party for the second batch was asked about ZZ Top. And if I’m remembering the video from the party correctly (not on YouTube anymore), said that they didn’t have the Quad master. They think all the master tapes were in the possession of the Bass player Dusty Hill. Because he used the multi-track tapes in the 1980s to produce the electronic remixes of their classic albums.

So, hopefully at some point the missing Quad mix might be found. And clearances approved for a release. But, it just goes to shows how much work needs to be put into trying to get a release out there. So, we must be thankful for all the hard work that goes into getting titles out there. And, most importantly, with our support and purchases of the titles when we get a release of something in Quadraphonic.
Seeing as Dusty Hill has been sadly gone since 2021, it would take some investigating to see if his executor/heirs have any idea as to where those tapes are. And that’s just where the process starts. 🤔

Back