Rick Wakeman From The Front Row

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
solaris said:
any body know how this is
This disc was a first for me in that it was the first DVD-A disc I've ever thrown away!

Does that sum up my reaction to this piece of crap? And it's not like I had high expectations going into this. But even readying myself for a modest title couldn't prepare me for the dreck that spewed from my speakers after hitting the "play" button.

Mind you, I'm a big fan of Rick Wakeman. I even saw him on the particular tour featured on this disc back in... well, let's just say a long time ago. I know what it was like to have those synthesizers wash over me from the fifth row of the audience. It's an embarrassment that this disc would claim to approximate the same feeling. "From the Front Row"? This disc sounds like it was recorded from the back of the upper balcony -- and with a handheld microphone!

This recording is such a muddy mess that it's a disservice to both the music and the listener. I'd compare it to listening to an old audiocassette if that didn't completely slander audiocassettes. Clarity of instruments? Forget about it. Stereo separation is so minimal as to be practically nonexistent, so forget about 5.1 surround. I knew the point of no return had been reached when I couldn't even understand Wakeman's introduction of songs (and it wasn't because of his British accent).

If I could have flushed this thing down the toilet, I would have. As it was, I simply tossed it in the trash. Here's hoping I can save you the trouble of having to do the same.

Wow! Sounds like this one wasn't even worth using as a 'coaster'!!! I was curious about this too but wasn't getting my hopes up. Appreciate u taking the gamble and passing along the info!
Tim

Hi
I'm late coming in on this thread but after my expeiences with 'The Wall"
'Concert For New York City" and other live HIREZ discs, I'm much more careful before I plunk down my money on live performances.

"Another Stoney Evening" and "Frank Sinatra at the Sands are a couple of the few live discs that (aside from small venu Jazz performances) that is worth the money IMHO.

Imentioned in another thread about my concern over the "Front Row Live " series, not because it's from a particular production house but because of experiences with LIVE transfers in general.

Peter m.

petermwilson said:
Imentioned in another thread about my concern over the "Front Row Live " series, not because it's from a particular production house but because of experiences with LIVE transfers in general.

Peter m.

Aren’t these sourced from radio shows like the King Biscuit Flower Hour etc? Which were either recorded direct to two tracks or mixed down from a Multi to two tracks for broadcast before the Multi track was reused to record the next show. They were probably recorded with out the full due care and attention which a record company would use if they were to release an artists live album radio shows do not have the budget an artist might have to make a live album. These make fine historical documents but sonically they belong on FM radio or bootlegs. They were never meant for 5.1 release. :mad: :confused:
why they persist in using things like TC Unwrap etc I do not know, it should be noted on the Discs very prominantly when this has been used and contain a comment like the old Mono-Stereo reprocessing monikar 'electronically processes for stereo output' :confused:

Silverline do themselves a disservice by releasing such crap, males you wonder if they are trying to completely wreck the format or not.

:yikes

Last edited:
Yea but King Biscuit Flower Hour was a Quad broadcast I think SQ. So the masters had to be MC

Back