Rick Wakeman - Six Wives and Arthur

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see Amazon.co.uk have a April 8th release date for CD/DVD of journey. I assume this is the new remastered edition with surround. I initially found this mentioned on a Disk Union mailing which stated 5.1 on the DVD.

It's likely not to contain a newer 5.1 surround mix and instead it will have the original 70s Quadraphonic mix, just like "Six Wives…" and "Myths and Legends of King Arthur…"

It's likely not to contain a newer 5.1 surround mix and instead it will have the original 70s Quadraphonic mix, just like "Six Wives…" and "Myths and Legends of King Arthur…"

Any 4.0 mix suits me fine. I am sure Neil Wilkes will work his magic on whatever quad source he is given. But yes, I am a Wake-Maniac, big time. Journey & King Arthur float my boat just fine. I am enjoying the recent 4.0 mix of King Arthur more and more.
Phookin magestic it is I say. :smokin

Any 4.0 mix suits me fine. I am sure Neil Wilkes will work his magic on whatever quad source he is given. But yes, I am a Wake-Maniac, big time. Journey & King Arthur float my boat just fine. I am enjoying the recent 4.0 mix of King Arthur more and more.
Phookin magestic it is I say. :smokin

I do agree that "Arthur" has grown on me the more I have played it, though I still prefer "Six Wives" by far. :)

Such jolly capers! Almost tempted to go for that pledge :ugham:

RW has a brilliant sense of humour, one of the funniest one man shows you'll ever see.

The Blu-ray has been around since 2009. I have a copy and really like it. It includes extended versions of the songs from the album with a new overture and song for Henry: Tudorture / Henry's Fanfare In the US its been out of print for a while, but you can find copies on Ebay and International Amazon sites. Thanks for reminding me to take a listen (and look) again soon. Yes, Rick is wearing a cape (or two!) :)

Hmmm - any idea of the era of performance? And was he better back in the day or more recently?

This is a good buy. Rick still plays at a note perfect virtuoso level. This record has no vocals so there is no prob with modern vocalists replacing classic versions. Its a rare chance to get a classic record start to finish in high resolution.

I am all over this one. :smokin

Apparently that concert was the first time Rick played Six Wives in its entirety since 1973.

Rick Wakeman used to have a Sunday morning programme on Planet Rock here in the UK. He told the story that when the 6 actresses who were playing the Wives Of Henry VIII at this show walked past to get on the stage, one of his sons turned to the much married RW and asked which one was his mum!

Makes sense now as to why we really haven't heard much about the upcoming reissue of "Journey…" so far. amazon.co.uk is now reporting that the release date has been pushed back by one month to May 6.

Makes sense now as to why we really haven't heard much about the upcoming reissue of "Journey…" so far. amazon.co.uk is now reporting that the release date has been pushed back by one month to May 6.

I saw this description today at a UK seller:

Following the recent reissues of some of the bigger of Rick Wakeman's A&M album catalogue, this UK #1 album, which sold over 14 million copies when it was originally issued in 1974, now gets the 2016 Remastering treatment!

Considered to be the jewel in the crown for many Prog fans, the classic 'Journey To The Centre Of The Earth' now gets a release in multiple formats - A Super Deluxe Edition 4-Disc Set featuring Extra Packaging, including a Tour Programme and Booklet with notes by Rick himself and Prog Magazine editor Jerry Ewing, alongside the Original Re-mastered Album plus Live Performance, Radio Session, Quad and Hi-Resolution Mixes.
These are also a Double CD/DVD-Audio Set containing the Quad & Hi Res Mixes, plus a Standard Budget CD edition, and a High Quality Heavyweight Vinyl LP in a Gatefold Sleeve.

RICK WAKEMAN: JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH (Super Deluxe 3CD+DVD-A/2016 Remaster - Stock # 1853870) Normally 3C1D £50.99 - Ltd New Release Offer 3C1D £42.99

Please note that although the track list is accurate, we currently don't have packaging details of this item - presumably it will be extensive... judging by the price!

Track List - Disc 1 [CD - Live from the Royal Festival Hall - London 1974]:
01. The Journey
02. Recollection
03. The Battle
04. The Forest
05. Pearl & Dean Piano Concerto

Track List - Disc 2 [CD - Live in Boston - 1974]:
01. The Journey
02. Recollection
03. The Battle
04. The Forest

Track List - Disc 3 [CD - Live in Buenos Aries [we presume the year will be 1974?]:
01. The Journey
02. Recollection
03. The Battle
04. The Forest

Track List - Disc 4 [DVD-Audio]:
01. The Journey [Quad version - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 02. Recollection [Quad version - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 03. The Battle [Quad version - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 04. The Forest [Quad version - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 05. The Journey [Hi-Resolution mix - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 06. Recollection [Hi-Resolution mix - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 07. The Battle [Hi-Resolution mix - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 08. The Forest [Hi-Resolution mix - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974]

RICK WAKEMAN: JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH (CD+DVD-A/2016 Remaster - Stock # 1850473) Normally CDDV £15.99 - Ltd New Release Offer CDDV £13.99

Track List - Disc 1 [CD - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974]:
01. The Journey
02. Recollection
03. The Battle
04. The Forest
05. Pearl & Dean Piano Concerto

Track List - Disc 2 [DVD-A]:
01. The Journey [Quad version - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 02. Recollection [Quad version - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 03. The Battle [Quad version - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 04. The Forest [Quad version - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 05. The Journey [Hi-Resolution mix - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 06. Recollection [Hi-Resolution mix - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 07. The Battle [Hi-Resolution mix - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974] 08. The Forest [Hi-Resolution mix - Live from Royal Festival Hall - London 1974]

If you can provide a link, that would be even better, but all of the info I'm reading about makes this set very tantalizing! Thanks, colsky! :)

Hopefully this time we'll get some information, and honesty, about the source of the quad mix.

Back