Ricky's Audio Video Barn Build Project

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Day In The Life................. brought to you by RickyVision
Hang in there Ricky. Projects never go smoothly and contractors will screw you over when they see an opportunity. It's just the way things are when the economy is buzzing along.

And as for the specific A/V people and contractors who are doing this to you, call them in to quote work when the economy eventually goes into a down period. String them along right to the end, and then can the project altogether.

In a summer of desperation, I hired on to do stucco. Back then, in the area at the time, the big contractors and developers were stiffing the smaller ones and people weren't getting paid. We all insisted, pretty much across the trades, to be paid in cash every week. I felt like they were all crooked. The guy I worked for had more work than he could handle, (allegedly) yet started firing people one by one for petty stuff, accusations of theft, etc. Bogus crap made up.
It got down to two of us for a few weeks. Then he fired us. Back then getting unemployment was hard: accusations made by an employer were taken seriously and your voice meant nothing if they fought it.

I decided I would seek other opportunities and never looked back. Besides, heaping mortar on walls in 90* + temps in the Florida sunshine for a slave driver wasn't my idea of a lifelong vocation.

Mother should I build the wall ?
345barnwallframed.jpg

Mother should I build the wall ?
Timber framed construction is rare in the UK. Starting to be used a bit these days because it is cheaper and quicker. All down to resources (we'd depleted the UK's forests centuries ago) and fire regulations (as each city burned down they tended to ban rebuilding in timber).

Timber framed construction is rare in the UK. Starting to be used a bit these days because it is cheaper and quicker. All down to resources (we'd depleted the UK's forests centuries ago) and fire regulations (as each city burned down they tended to ban rebuilding in timber).
My cousins German girlfriend noticed the same thing when she visited. According to her, most construction in Germany was either brick or stone

My next door neighbour's son is a carpenter who often works on Green Oak builds (they use Oak from Europe), he made me a new gate for the side of the house out of Iroko which wasn't cheap but still half the price of Oak!

What a relief! Back when I was hiring out no one ever had a porta potty available. Hell, if you walked off and took a whiz they got pissed.
My how things have changed. lol!
Im pretty sure it's a requirement on build sites with no plumbing, at least in NY. For large commercial sites they bring in those trailer units.

What a relief! Back when I was hiring out no one ever had a porta potty available. Hell, if you walked off and took a whiz they got pissed.
My how things have changed. lol!

Ain't no way that I'd go into the grass / woods in Florida to take a pee. You all have got cottonmouths lying in the weeds. We had a site under construction in Jacksonville and one of those beasts aggressively went after a fellow who was trimming weeds.

Cotton Mouth is one of my (many) favorite Doobie Brothers songs...written by Seals and Crofts. It's from Toulouse Street, an album which I've heard at least 100 times, and for which another 100 times still won't be enough:

Back