New Dolby Atmos BluRay discs from Rhino

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listening now to The Best Of The Doors-Dolby Atmos. Released this week.
Blu Ray-Ripped MKV file. 24bit/48Khz. Dr's are 11, 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's.
I love this. Hearing a tiny bit of stuff I have not heard before.
R-30546892-1714483284-4487.jpg

Regarding The Doors: I notice the menu which is great, has a different explanation than what I have seen before.

DOLBY ATMOS 7.1-- DTS 5.1-- DTS STEREO

They rip as
TRUE HD-- DTS HD MSTR-- DTS HD MSTR
I'm bemused as to why anyone who's authoring a Blu-ray Audio disc would encode 2-channel stereo using anything other than LPCM...

Maybe for people like me with old school quad (with stereo too) audio systems that can only decode the DTS core (4.0 or 2.0) of DTS-HD?

Kirk Bayne

Yesterday the tracking said Thursday by 9PM. Today the tracking says Friday by 9PM, with a disclaimer.

I got both FM and The Doors yesterday. Only had time to give Rumours a spin. Alas, it's not a home run. Overall, it's probably the best version I own (have the SACD and CD). But there is some weird mastering happening on Don't Stop and Go Your Own Way. The latter is better, but both sound muted and collapsed compared to the rest of the album. Which is a shame. Not unlistenable, but just strangely meh. Oh Daddy which wasn't a hit surprised me. It sounded really good. Gold Dust Woman started out not a bit reserved compared to the 5.1, but as the track built I really liked it. Both Songbird and Never Going Back Again have very strong and clean vocals. With how good overall this is, it's disappointing that 2 of the signature tracks just don't measure up to me.

Edit: Be interested to hear if others find the same thing

Last edited:
Rumours - Thank god for the 5.1 mix, which I already have on SACD. The Atmos fold-down on my 5.1 system is unlistenable, and I don't have this issue with other Atmos mixes, so I don't know what's going on. I'm curious if others have this issue. I'm playing through an Oppo BDP-103 if that matters. (EDITED TO ADD: THE ATMOS IS NOT UNLISTENABLE, BUT THE TRACKS I SAMPLED ON FIRST LISTEN JUST HAPPENED TO BE THE ONES THAT SEEMED OFF TO ME. "SECOND HAND NEWS" HAS THE LITTLE PERCUSSIVE THING GOING ON IN THE BACK RIGHT SPEAKER THE ENTIRE SONG, AND "GO YOUR OWN WAY" SEEMS WAY TOO DRY IN THE LEAD VOCAL CHANNEL AND LACKS BALLS IN THE CHORUS. OTHERWISE THE ATMOS SOUNDS...DIFFERENT FROM THE 5.1). I do love the 5.1 mix though and always have. Go Your Own Way, The Chain, and Gold Dust Woman are all highlights for me, but the whole mix is done well.

The Doors - I've listened to a few songs in 5.1. Some songs are soooo discrete that I can't even tell there's anything going on in the rears. It reminds me a bit of the Appetite For Destruction 5.1 where it seems like they already have everything in a nice tidy stereo mix but may have some other stems laying around. The beginning of Riders is cool. The End is a letdown. Touch Me sounded good to my ears since there is some orchestration and other stuff in that one where they can really do a proper 5.1 mix. There are like 4 billion songs on this one though and I've never cared for The Doors much so this one might take me a while to get through. I never did like the fact that Peace Frog never made it on this compilation. That's easily my favorite Doors tune.

Last edited:
The Doors - I've listened to a few songs in 5.1. Some songs are soooo discrete that I can't even tell there's anything going on in the rears.
Yeah, the 5.1 mixes (which were originally created for the 2006 Perception box set, though the standalone L.A. Woman DVD-A - which has the same 5.1 mix used for Perception - came out in 2000, so that one may have been done as early as the late-90s!) are kind of similar to some early '70s quads in that there are almost no shared sounds between the front and back speakers. Even the reverb returns usually come from the same spot as their dry source, so in songs like "Waiting For The Sun" or "Love Street" you end up with these long stretches of silence in the rear broken up by a sudden blast of keyboards or background vocals.

They seem to have mitigated this a bit in the new Atmos mixes by moving the reverbs out into the surround and height speakers, so there's rarely a 'dead' channel and the isolation of the individual instruments seems less stark. It sounds more like you're in the studio with the band versus listening to isolated channels from the dry multitrack. They've also done away with nearly all of the moving elements in the 5.1's - some of these I didn't care for (i.e. "Mr Mojo Risin'" hopping from speaker-to-speaker around the room), but others like the swirling guitar solo in "Waiting For The Sun" were kinda fun.

Back