Zappa - Over-Nite Sensation 50th (New Atmos & 5.1 mixes, plus Quad mix on Blu-Ray!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My order at importcds.com was cancelled for no reason given two days ago.

“Unfortunately, we are not able to fill the item(s) below. Since this was cancelled from your order, your credit card will not be charged for this. If you pre-paid your order using PayPal we will issue a refund shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused”.

Damn, it looks like this was released in November. I guess I’m out of the loop on this release.🤣

Last edited:

“Unfortunately, we are not able to fill the item(s) below. Since this was cancelled from your order, your credit card will not be charged for this. If you pre-paid your order using PayPal we will issue a refund shortly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused”.

Damn, it looks like this was released in November. I guess I’m out of the loop on this release.🤣
https://www.zappa.com/

https://store.zappa.com/products/ov...ersary-4cd-blu-ray-audio-super-deluxe-edition

An article at UDiscover Music today marking the 50th of Apostrophe('). While the email newsletter linking to the article specifically mentions that the album was "[r]eleased in both stereo and quadraphonic formats," there's no word in either place about when to expect the reissue.
https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/frank-zappa-apostrophe-album-feature/
If I remember correctly, the Super Deluxe for Over-Nite was announced a little less than a month after the original release of the album, so going by that we should hear something sometime in April 🤞

Hey with this reissue if it happens could someone please summarize whatever the snafu I heard I forget if it was here or on sh that the European versus maybe it was the American or official store bought discs one of those clearly was a different pressing for the CDs and there's an error found of some sort that's very unpleasing. I was hoping that I might find this guy on sale but I don't want to buy the one that's full of some audio error and I wasn't sure which was which. If there's a repressing maybe that'll take care of it I don't know how these things work. Any insight appreciated thanks.

Hey with this reissue if it happens could someone please summarize whatever the snafu I heard I forget if it was here or on sh that the European versus maybe it was the American or official store bought discs one of those clearly was a different pressing for the CDs and there's an error found of some sort that's very unpleasing. I was hoping that I might find this guy on sale but I don't want to buy the one that's full of some audio error and I wasn't sure which was which. If there's a repressing maybe that'll take care of it I don't know how these things work. Any insight appreciated thanks.

Everybody wants a bargain here, but my advice is order it new from the Zappa store for their reasonable price and be done with it before it goes out of print like Waka / Wazoo.
https://store.zappa.com/products/ov...ersary-4cd-blu-ray-audio-super-deluxe-edition

According to discogs, there are three different pressings for US, Japan & Europe, the one with the made in Germany sticker is the one to avoid.
The Euro folks on shf have given up on a repress, all they've ever gotten is refunds.

Avoid this one: https://www.discogs.com/release/289...nsation-50th-Anniversary-Super-Deluxe-Edition

"Made in Germany" sticker on the back side foil

On the EU pressing, disc 2 has clipping distortion problems not present in the digital files, and the beginning of disc 3 does not fade in as it should (per Joe Travers' messages in the Zappacord Discord server).

• Matrix / Runout (Disc 2): [Universal Logo] 5822155 www.zappa.com [Universal Logo] AN02791-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH
  • Mastering SID Code (Disc 2): IFPI L577
  • Mould SID Code (Disc 2): IFPI 9754
  • Matrix / Runout (Disc 3): [Universal Logo] 5822156 www.zappa.com [Universal Logo] AN02792-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH
  • Mastering SID Code (Disc 3): IFPI L577
  • Mould SID Code (Disc 3): IFPI 9754

Everybody wants a bargain here, but my advice is order it new from the Zappa store for their reasonable price and be done with it before it goes out of print like Waka / Wazoo.

According to discogs, there are three different pressings for US, Japan & Europe, the one with the made in Germany sticker is the one to avoid.
The Euro folks on shf have given up on a repress, all they've ever gotten is refunds.

Avoid this one: https://www.discogs.com/release/289...nsation-50th-Anniversary-Super-Deluxe-Edition

"Made in Germany" sticker on the back side foil

On the EU pressing, disc 2 has clipping distortion problems not present in the digital files, and the beginning of disc 3 does not fade in as it should (per Joe Travers' messages in the Zappacord Discord server).

• Matrix / Runout (Disc 2): [Universal Logo] 5822155 www.zappa.com [Universal Logo] AN02791-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH
  • Mastering SID Code (Disc 2): IFPI L577
  • Mould SID Code (Disc 2): IFPI 9754
  • Matrix / Runout (Disc 3): [Universal Logo] 5822156 www.zappa.com [Universal Logo] AN02792-01 manufactured by optimal media GmbH
  • Mastering SID Code (Disc 3): IFPI L577
  • Mould SID Code (Disc 3): IFPI 9754
I've got the EU version and I think its ok. The people at SHF did, in my opinion, make too big of a deal about the issues. Firstly and most importantly the blu ray is the same on all versions and is excellent. On the cds, the non fade is a very minor irritation, and the sound levels on one cd differs from the others. Its perfectly listenable.

I've got the EU version and I think its ok. The people at SHF did, in my opinion, make too big of a deal about the issues. Firstly and most importantly the blu ray is the same on all versions and is excellent. On the cds, the non fade is a very minor irritation, and the sound levels on one cd differs from the others. Its perfectly listenable.

Good to know, the "audiophiles" on shf are quite particular and ready for a fight if they perceive the slightest flaw.
(Much like the usual suspects here.) ;)

The bonus live material on the CDs is highly desirable in my opinion.
Another option is to stream from your service of choice.

On Apple Music the files appear to be 24 / 96:

1711645494926.png

Back