Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does it seem that if anyone is going to have trouble, it's me? So, I was trying to rip the DVD-A (DTS Entertainment) of Lyle Lovelett - Joshuya Judges Ruth. I can't get any programs to even load this thing. Even the recently downloaded DVD-Audio Explorer 2008. I mean, nothing happens.

Anyone else have issue with this particular disc? (Yes, I can play it via my Oppo with no issue)

I've got it, but mine is a 20-bit HDS DTS CD with the Barcode 7 1021-54430-2 7 which maybe the issue as its not a DVD-A, so the disc format seen by the ripping software isn't correct, it'll just be seen as a CD. A DTS decoder will see the embedded codes in the data stream and do the correct decode to 5.1.

Why does it seem that if anyone is going to have trouble, it's me? So, I was trying to rip the DVD-A (DTS Entertainment) of Lyle Lovelett - Joshuya Judges Ruth. I can't get any programs to even load this thing. Even the recently downloaded DVD-Audio Explorer 2008. I mean, nothing happens.

Anyone else have issue with this particular disc? (Yes, I can play it via my Oppo with no issue)

I've got it, but mine is a 20-bit HDS DTS CD with the Barcode 7 1021-54430-2 7 which maybe the issue as its not a DVD-A, so the disc format seen by the ripping software isn't correct, it'll just be seen as a CD. A DTS decoder will see the embedded codes in the data stream and do the correct decode to 5.1.

Yes, I :violin(y):(:howl:yikeshave the same one. Sooooo - what are you saying? Can I rip this thing or not? Or do I need another program?

Try ripping it as a CD, I'd attempt it get it into a .wav file format then see if any of the Audio Extractor programs can get at the DTS embedded in it.

Yes, I :violin(y):(:howl:yikeshave the same one. Sooooo - what are you saying? Can I rip this thing or not? Or do I need another program?

Try ripping it as a CD, I'd attempt it get it into a .wav file format then see if any of the Audio Extractor programs can get at the DTS embedded in it.

I can't even get that far. When I put the disc in my DVD drive, it doesn't even acknowledge it. So, pretty much I can't go any further. (n)

I've just gone a dug out the disc and put it into the Blu-ray drive attached to my PC. I can read it, it comes up as an Audio CD with the tracks having .cda extensions.

screenshot.jpg

Hi Gene. Its an external LG Blu-ray Writer BE14NU40 - but I did have some 'fun' with it when I got it due to driver 'compatibility' :mad: I had to do a firmware update on it when I got it around Jan 2015. Seems to be ok now (well eventually!) operating under the latest Windows 10.

Hey Duncan, what model/brand external blu-ray drive you have?

Thats a DTS CD. Use Foobar2000

Thats a DTS CD. Use Foobar2000

Gene:

I quite literally share your pain on this one. I have tried to rip the one and only 5.1 DTS-CD that I need to rip, namely of Alan Parsons "On Air", a number of times without success.

After reading through the recent posts on this thread, I decided to give it another go. Following HomerJAU's (Gary's ?) suggestion to use Foobar2000. Before I did that, I made sure that I had the dts plug-in. Then I ripped it to wav files; I believe that you need to do this to preserve the multi-channel information. I couldn't seem to get Foobar2000 to convert to FLAC so I used the dbPoweramp Converter (I imagine that you have this). It worked like a charm. I double-checked the properties and indeed the files were 5.1. The bit rate was 16 and the sample rate was 44.1 but this is to be expected.

I hope that this helps for your situation. It is easy to try and takes very little time. I don't think that it is player dependent.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Jim

Gene:

I quite literally share your pain on this one. I have tried to rip the one and only 5.1 DTS-CD that I need to rip, namely of Alan Parsons "On Air", a number of times without success.

After reading through the recent posts on this thread, I decided to give it another go. Following HomerJAU's (Gary's ?) suggestion to use Foobar2000. Before I did that, I made sure that I had the dts plug-in. Then I ripped it to wav files; I believe that you need to do this to preserve the multi-channel information. I couldn't seem to get Foobar2000 to convert to FLAC so I used the dbPoweramp Converter (I imagine that you have this). It worked like a charm. I double-checked the properties and indeed the files were 5.1. The bit rate was 16 and the sample rate was 44.1 but this is to be expected.

I hope that this helps for your situation. It is easy to try and takes very little time. I don't think that it is player dependent.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Jim

I'm surprised Foobar didn't convert directly to FLAC. (But good to hear Foobar solved your DTS CD rip problem).

Garry

I ripped all my DTS CD's to multichannel flac using the following method:

1. Rip audio CDs directly to (undecoded) .wav using either foobar or EAC (both freeware). It doesn't matter which you use, as long as you're ripping in secure mode.

2. Open audiomuxer. Tools -> audio conversion -> select audio, and at the bottom of the file browser, change the 'files of type' to "DTSWav files (*.wav)" and then select the files that you ripped to .wav previously. Pick your desired FLAC level from the menu on the right hand side (does anyone use anything other than 8?), click FLAC and you're off to the races.

There are two reasons I do it this way: one is that by picking DTSWav from the dropdown it forces audiomuxer to see the files as DTS encoded, and if any of the DTS flags are missing or incorrect it will reconstruct them for you, which is great if you've ever had a DTS CD to FLAC conversion that just comes out as white noise. The second reason I do it this way is that DTS CDs are actually 20 bit / 44.1kHz, and if you do the DTS decoding in foobar you only get 16 bit FLACs, whereas with audiomuxer it uses the newer DTS decoder (the same one that gives you full lossless from DTS HD MA) and it outputs your DTS CD's as full 20 bit, inside a 24bit container. The files aren't any nominally bigger than if they were actually 20 bit because FLAC just compresses the padded 4 bits down to nothing.

GOS, as for your blu-ray drive not recognising the Lyle Lovett disc at all, I would stick another audio CD (silver, not burnt) in there, just to check if your drive is having problems reading audio CDs or if it's something specific with that disc. I've never heard of a BluRay or DVD drive that didn't also read CD's but I guess anything is possible. You could also just rip the disc on another computer or another drive and copy the .wav files to your ripping computer for encoding afterward.

1. Rip audio CDs directly to (undecoded) .wav using either foobar or EAC (both freeware). It doesn't matter which you use, as long as you're ripping in secure mode.

2. Open audiomuxer. Tools -> audio conversion -> select audio, and at the bottom of the file browser, change the 'files of type' to "DTSWav files (*.wav)" and then select the files that you ripped to .wav previously. Pick your desired FLAC level from the menu on the right hand side (does anyone use anything other than 8?), click FLAC and you're off to the races.

There are two reasons I do it this way: one is that by picking DTSWav from the dropdown it forces audiomuxer to see the files as DTS encoded, and if any of the DTS flags are missing or incorrect it will reconstruct them for you, which is great if you've ever had a DTS CD to FLAC conversion that just comes out as white noise. The second reason I do it this way is that DTS CDs are actually 20 bit / 44.1kHz, and if you do the DTS decoding in foobar you only get 16 bit FLACs, whereas with audiomuxer it uses the newer DTS decoder (the same one that gives you full lossless from DTS HD MA) and it outputs your DTS CD's as full 20 bit, inside a 24bit container. The files aren't any nominally bigger than if they were actually 20 bit because FLAC just compresses the padded 4 bits down to nothing.

GOS, as for your blu-ray drive not recognising the Lyle Lovett disc at all, I would stick another audio CD (silver, not burnt) in there, just to check if your drive is having problems reading audio CDs or if it's something specific with that disc. I've never heard of a BluRay or DVD drive that didn't also read CD's but I guess anything is possible. You could also just rip the disc on another computer or another drive and copy the .wav files to your ripping computer for encoding afterward.

I was intrigued by this - your method to get 24bit from a DTS CD - so I just tried and no matter what I do with Foobar it wont output as 24bit. I can get 20bit if I deselect using the DTS Decoder. I'm checking the bit depth from the WAV's output from Foobar.

When AudioMuxer converts the wav to FLAC it must change to 24bit (resample bit depth?) - In other conversions AudioMuxer seems to support 16 or 24bit only.

Anyway, I am glad to hear I can get 20 bit from my (20 or 24bit) DTS CDs, although I may not hear any difference.

Thanks.

BTW: I ran my test on Sting - Brand New Day (24bit DTS CD). I tried to find my Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth DTS CD but can't find it!! Man - I've bought two copies over the years after losing the first - Someone around here must like that disc... :(

I was intrigued by this - your method to get 24bit from a DTS CD - so I just tried and no matter what I do with Foobar it wont output as 24bit. I can get 20bit if I deselect using the DTS Decoder. I'm checking the bit depth from the WAV's output from Foobar.

When AudioMuxer converts the wav to FLAC it must change to 24bit (resample bit depth?) - In other conversions AudioMuxer seems to support 16 or 24bit only.

Anyway, I am glad to hear I can get 20 bit from my (20 or 24bit) DTS CDs, although I may not hear any difference.

Thanks.

BTW: I ran my test on Sting - Brand New Day (24bit DTS CD). I tried to find my Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth DTS CD but can't find it!! Man - I've bought two copies over the years after losing the first - Someone around here must like that disc... :(

I never knew where my copy came from...
:couch

Good info, thanks. OK, so I was able to load the DTS CD in Foobar and I'm ripping to Flac as we speak. I'm trying that first, if it doesn't - then I'll try your suggestion. :)

OK, so here is what happened. I was able to load the songs in Foobar from my blu-ray drive. I converted to Flac and......WHITE NOISE! So, this easy method does not work. Now,:mad:@: I will try Steely Dave's method and see what happens.

Back