Ripping Blu Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang - well, I installed updates in Foobar, now it won't play those .dts files at all. I get error messages on every song (when I try to convert to Flac) Geez.....at least it worked before...a little bit.

Dang - well, I installed updates in Foobar, now it won't play those .dts files at all. I get error messages on every song (when I try to convert to Flac) Geez.....at least it worked before...a little bit.

OK - I deleted all the files and started over. Now it's working! Thanks all....I think I might have it. :)

Wow! - so when I open the .dts file with foobar, it now says DTS-HD Master when I click play. If it does that, then why would I want to convert them to FLAC? I'm sure I'm missing something here...

Wow! - so when I open the .dts file with foobar, it now says DTS-HD Master when I click play. If it does that, then why would I want to convert them to FLAC? I'm sure I'm missing something here...

Eh....I think I know why. FLAC files simply give me more options. :)

This thread is turning into the GOS soap opera...sorry.

So - I'm still fighting this whole DTS HD Master dilemma and ripping....from Blu-ray. It really just isn't working. As you can see - DVD-AE absolutely shows the correct tags (song names, etc) for the disc. I do the whole demux thing as we have all talked about...

Only, when it creates the .dts files in my Gentle Giant folder, it totally loses the song names, etc. See the pic. I figure, OK, I'll just pull them in as is to Foobar and rename them (via properties). Well, it simply will NOT let me rename or edit them (metadata). Never had trouble with this process before...only with this damn disc. I'm pretty sure someone else here has Octopus on Blu and has ripped....

Gentle Giant.jpg

Just noticed something of interest...it seems to be getting hung up on the one song....called Racontour....heck, it wont' even play that file. It will play The Advent....and even let me edit metadata. Oddly, the Racontour song shows infinity sign for time, while the Advent song shows actual time. Racontour claims to be DTS, while Advent shows DTS HD Master.

Is it because some of the songs are DTS HD and others are simply DTS? Why would that matter to Foobar?? So complicated I think....

Is Racontour oen of the upmixes? Some people mentioned that after ripping the upmixes showed up as 24/48 flac, instead of 24/96. This would confirm DTS vs DTS HD.

Personally all the Octopus flacs are 24/96, but I ripped using DVD_AE demux and Audio Muxer if I remember correctly.

That's why I use eac3to to convert the dts files to flac. The dts files, though playable, are just a pain. eac3to is simply a command line app. To convert a dtshd file, you would just create a folder called files (or whatever) and the command would just be c:\eac3to eac3to c:\files\file.dtshd c:\files\file.flac - you need the arcsoft dts converter, which you probably already have if you can play dts files in foobar. The resulting flac files are bigger, but space is cheacp these days & flac files are so much better to deal with...

I've decided to join the soap opera... didn't realize that all my blu-ray rips using DVD-AE were only 24x48! (Honestly, I doubt my ears can tell the difference between 48 and 96 kHz anyway, but WTF... I'll give this a try). Ripping Octopus now...

Well, this is a pain in the arse... Ripped Octopus from Blu-ray using DVD-AE and "direct stream muxing", than tried to use "audio conversion" tool in Audiomuxer to convert to flac... worked great for the first track, than I just got a bunch of errors for the subsequent tracks:

==> C:\Users\skherbeck\Desktop\1972 Octopus (BD-A)\03 A Cry for Everyone.dts
> DTS | 96000Hz | 1 509 Kbps | 6Ch (3/2/0.1)

> Eac3to LOG -->
eac3to v3.31
command line: "eac3to.exe" "C:\Users\skherbeck\Desktop\1972 Octopus (BD-A)\03 A Cry for Everyone.dts" "C:\Users\skherbeck\Desktop\1972 Octopus (BD-A)\03 A Cry for Everyone.tmp.wav" -progressnumbers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The format of the source file could not be detected. <ERROR>

Any suggestions, anyone?

I've decided to join the soap opera... didn't realize that all my blu-ray rips using DVD-AE were only 24x48! (Honestly, I doubt my ears can tell the difference between 48 and 96 kHz anyway, but WTF... I'll give this a try). Ripping Octopus now...

haha - good luck. I've been beating my head against the wall.... I also tried audiomuxer, but at least for me, it's just not intuitive. I can load a .dts file in the audio window, but from there I have no clue what to do. I don't see an "OK" or "convert" button at all.

Well, this is a pain in the arse... Ripped Octopus from Blu-ray using DVD-AE and "direct stream muxing", than tried to use "audio conversion" tool in Audiomuxer to convert to flac... worked great for the first track, than I just got a bunch of errors for the subsequent tracks:

Any suggestions, anyone?

That's exactly what mine did....

That's why I use eac3to to convert the dts files to flac. The dts files, though playable, are just a pain. eac3to is simply a command line app. To convert a dtshd file, you would just create a folder called files (or whatever) and the command would just be c:\eac3to eac3to c:\files\file.dtshd c:\files\file.flac - you need the arcsoft dts converter, which you probably already have if you can play dts files in foobar. The resulting flac files are bigger, but space is cheacp these days & flac files are so much better to deal with...

ONly 1 or 2 of the .dts files from Octopus will play in foobar - all the other ones give error message and an infinity sign for song length. Makes absoLUTEly no sense to me.

Same outcome. I decided to give up on that Octopus title and just ripped the DTS 46k. Not worth any more grief. But, I am now trying Gentle Giant - Power/Glory. It is similar disk in that it only has DTS HD MA or LPCM 2 channel. We'll see how it goes.

I guess I'll have to be content with 48kHz rips as well, because nothing makes me more nuts than wasting my time on frustrating computer issues... I always have the original discs to listen to when my ears are in the mood for hi-rez!

Back