Rolling Stone to Give Away 1.3 Million Surround SACDs !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The December 11th issue of Rolling Stone Magazine (which comes out on November 21st) will include a Surround Sound SACD and information on a "SA-CD Sweepstakes" as part of their special Top 500 Albums of All Time Issue.

According to Rolling Stone, over 1.3 Million copies of the issue (and Surround Sound SACD sampler) will be given away.

See the story on High Fidelity Review at http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=13087880 for more details.

Last edited:
bmoura said:
The December 11th issue of Rolling Stone Magazine (which comes out on November 21st) will include a Surround Sound SACD and information on a "SA-CD Sweepstakes" as part of their special Top 500 Albums of All Time Issue.
Sweet! This could be quite a shot in the arm. Granted, I don't see any indication that the disc will include anything that isn't already available on SACD, but the extra prodding to get people to test-drive the SACD's in the stores could be the first time a lot of people get to experienced surround music, which couldn't be anything other than a good thing, as far as I can tell.

dprokopy said:
Sweet! This could be quite a shot in the arm. Granted, I don't see any indication that the disc will include anything that isn't already available on SACD, but the extra prodding to get people to test-drive the SACD's in the stores could be the first time a lot of people get to experienced surround music, which couldn't be anything other than a good thing, as far as I can tell.

Sony and Rolling Stone Magazine didn't release what songs would be on the Surround SACD Sampler. But it should be quote an event - with 1.3 Million SACDs in the issue and radio promotions during late November thru year's end.

I reckon I'll have to pony up for my first copy of Rolling Stone.

The Quadfather

bmoura said:
Sony and Rolling Stone Magazine didn't release what songs would be on the Surround SACD Sampler. But it should be quote an event - with 1.3 Million SACDs in the issue and radio promotions during late November thru year's end.

I'm sure it will be stuff that's already out....Dylan, Pink Floyd...hope there is some new material.

The Quadfather said:
I reckon I'll have to pony up for my first copy of Rolling Stone.

The Quadfather

Who cares about the free SACD... check out the cover!!!

Last edited:
daved64 said:
I'm sure it will be stuff that's already out....Dylan, Pink Floyd...hope there is some new material.

Since they will be songs from the Top 500 albums, it's pretty likely that most of the songs will be from albums already available on SACD. But there may be some surprises. We'll have to wait until Nov 21st to find out.

Bob Romano said:
Who cares about the free SACD... check out the cover!!!

I just got that issue in the mail - No SACD!!

Ooops, it comes NEXT ISSUE!! :confused:

Well got the Rolling Stone sampler today. Nice little bonus. It contains 9 cuts. The only cut I didn't already have is #6 and it's very good and holds great promise for the full lp. Here they are:

1. Bob Dylan - "Simple Twist of Fate"
2. Pink Floyd - "Money"
3. The Who - "Pinball Wizard"
4. Herbie Hancock - "Watermelon Man"
5. Norah Jones - "Come Away With Me"
6. Elton John - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" !!!
7. Billy Joel - "Movin' Out" (Anthony's Song)
8. Miles Davis - " Blue In Green"
9. Aerosmith - "Sweet Emotion"

Tasty sampler. Should help out the format quite a bit. It is also nice to have a great, all on one disc, demo disc. Really lookin forward to GYBR.

Wow! That is a GREAT sampler! Can't wait for GBYBR as well!

Thanks for posting

JonUrban said:
Wow! That is a GREAT sampler! Can't wait for GBYBR as well!

Thanks for posting

Should be fun next week - with the Rolling Stone SACD Sampler and the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Surround SACDs appearing.

GaryW said:
Well got the Rolling Stone sampler today. Nice little bonus. It contains 9 cuts. The only cut I didn't already have is #6 and it's very good and holds great promise for the full lp. Here they are:

1. Bob Dylan - "Simple Twist of Fate"
2. Pink Floyd - "Money"
3. The Who - "Pinball Wizard"
4. Herbie Hancock - "Watermelon Man"
5. Norah Jones - "Come Away With Me"
6. Elton John - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" !!!
7. Billy Joel - "Movin' Out" (Anthony's Song)
8. Miles Davis - " Blue In Green"
9. Aerosmith - "Sweet Emotion"

Tasty sampler. Should help out the format quite a bit. It is also nice to have a great, all on one disc, demo disc. Really lookin forward to GYBR.

So Gary, did you play the SACD to see if you are a winner in the sweepstakes ?

I looked all over for it today. NOBODY has it (including Virgin Megastore). Anybody else have any luck finding it?

Got mine in the mail today. The "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" is REALLY discrete!!! Can't wait for the full SACD! Mine came in my subscription copy.

bmoura said:
So Gary, did you play the SACD to see if you are a winner in the sweepstakes ?
No such luck.... :( but am happy with the consolation prize. (y)

I just went and looked for it and couldn't find the issue w/ the free cd inside. I panicked until I came back home and re-read the original post. I was thrown off by the wrong cover being posted in an earlier message on this topic. It's not the Rolling Stone magazine w/ the Jessica Simpson cover. It's the Rolling Stone Top 500 Album issue. I can't find it in Seattle yet, but am told that it will probably arrive this weekend.

Last edited:
Back