Rolling Stone to Give Away 1.3 Million Surround SACDs !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all MC
Dylan- Simple twist of Fate
Floyd-Money
Who-Pinball Wizard
Herbie Hancock-Watermelon Man
Norah Jones-COme Away w/me
Elton-GBYBR
BillyJoel-Movin OUt
Miles Davis-Bluein GReen
Aerosmith-Sweet Emotion

Real Good Samper!!

Ick said:
I looked all over for it today. NOBODY has it (including Virgin Megastore). Anybody else have any luck finding it?

I found a stack of copies earlier today at the Tower Records & Books store in Mountain View, CA here in Silicon Valley.

Check my High Fidelity Review write up at
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=19808552 for more details about the issue, SACD disc and SACD Sweepstakes.

JonUrban said:
...Real Good Samper!!
As long as you only want 20 + year old rock music!!!!
I do not mean to be rude to you Jon, but...
While all that is on this disk is fine, as a sampler of what is available, this disc is pathetic.

-No Pop
-No Country
-No Classical
-No R&B
-No Hip Hop
-No Modern Rock
-Only one artist under the age of 50 [And you wouldn't exactly call her music 'new', (and I like her!)]

My guess is that the average Rolling Stone Reader is going to take
one look at this line-up and then toss this disk out with the rest of
their AOL CD/coaster collection.
And people wonder why the music business is in trouble!!!
What a waste.

I see your point, actually. I was (in my mind) comparing it to the old quad samplers that the labels put out in the '70s, filled with non-hits and Muzak.

In one respect, yes, the tunes are old, but they are recognizable to a wide audience, esp the audience that is going to go for SACD and not MP3. This issue, with the top 500 albums, is likely to attract the "former" (older) reader of the magazine, who will probably appreciate the tracks on this SACD. Look at the top 10 albums, hardly anything "new".

However, I agree that they should have had tracks from Beck, Ryan Adams, 3 Doors Down, Train and groups like that. That would have been cool, plus introduce those artists to the older folks who may not have heard them to begin with!

Bottom line is, you are not being rude, I can understand how some readers will just toss this!

Have not bought or read this magazine since I was a teenager, but may want the disc. I checked with the local Barnes and Noble and although they stock the magazine they don't have this issue. Is it sold out already or what? Have I missed out on this already?

Last edited:
narcopolo said:
Have not bought or read this magazine since I was a teenager, but may want the disc. I checked with the local Barnes and Noble and although they stock the magazine they don't have this issue. Is it sold out already or what? Have I missed out on this already?

It just hit the news stands on Thursday. So they may not have received their copies yet.

I found copies at a Tower Records & Books store in Mountain View, CA. If you have a Tower Records nearby, check there.

dougi said:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Went looking for a copy of Rolling Stone magazine today , found them ...but no sampler WTF
I guess Canada gets screwed over again

Where did you see it? I was just in Fairview Mall and the stores there still had the November issue (the one with the "10" on the cover) not the December issue (the one with the 500 on the cover).

Guy Robinson said:
Where did you see it? I was just in Fairview Mall and the stores there still had the November issue (the one with the "10" on the cover) not the December issue (the one with the 500 on the cover).
Hi Guy

Saw it at the Chapters store in Mississauga ( across from Square One Shopping Mall ) They had a lot of the Rolling Stone " Jessica Simpson" issue , but not one Sampler to be found anywhere i chaecked all the coppies on the shelf and asked the magazine person there at the time and they did'nt see any samplers

dougi said:
Hi Guy

Saw it at the Chapters store in Mississauga ( across from Square One Shopping Mall ) They had a lot of the Rolling Stone " Jessica Simpson" issue , but not one Sampler to be found anywhere i chaecked all the coppies on the shelf and asked the magazine person there at the time and they did'nt see any samplers

If anybody has an extra copy of this sampler they want to sell let me know
Thanks
Dougi

dougi said:
Hi Guy

But the one with the disc is the December issue with a big "500" on the cover. The JS issue is November.

Oh yea!!!

I picked up my copy at the local Brooks Brothers Pharmacy on the way home. It sounds sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

Sony did it right with this one. Now I'm gonna have to buy all of them. Herbie Handcock's "Watermelon Man" fills all five speakers real nice, and Mile Davis' trumpet gives me shivers.

This is the cover you want

00336735.jpg

Bob :sun

Last edited:
I finally found a copy at Third Place Books in the Seattle area. Woo Hoo! Great sampler and marketing tool. I'll definitely be purchasing some of the titles that I wouldn't normally have considered. Really enjoyed it.

Guy Robinson said:
But the one with the disc is the December issue with a big "500" on the cover. The JS issue is November.

It's coming up here on Wed/Thurs. Called a few stores.
Stay tuned.......

Bob R said:
Oh yea!!!

I picked up my copy at the local Brooks Brothers Pharmacy on the way home. It sounds sweet!!!!!!!!!!!

Sony did it right with this one. Now I'm gonna have to buy all of them. Herbie Handcock's "Watermelon Man" fills all five speakers real nice, and Mile Davis' trumpet gives me shivers.

This is the cover you want

00336735.jpg

Bob :sun

Yes, the Herbie Hancock Surround SACD is a good one. From what I understand, it's taken from the original Quad mix of the 1970's.

dougi said:
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Went looking for a copy of Rolling Stone magazine today , found them ...but no sampler WTF
I guess Canada gets screwed over again

The issue with the disc arrived in Toronto yesterday. I picked one up in Fairview Mall at Coles. Should be available in all the area stores that carry magazines.

Guys, is it me, or do some of these tracks sound better here than on their respective discs? Sweet Emotion sounds cleaner to my ears, though I have not done an actual A/B test, just from what I remember it sounding like on the Toys disc. Am I kookoo? Even Money had a more defined sound. :confused:

daved64 said:
Guys, is it me, or do some of these tracks sound better here than on their respective discs? Sweet Emotion sounds cleaner to my ears, though I have not done an actual A/B test, just from what I remember it sounding like on the Toys disc. Am I kookoo? Even Money had a more defined sound. :confused:

Yeah i got the disc tonight, and yes i thought some of the tracks did sound better than the original disc's.
Money seemed to have more response in the rears.
But this is not a problem by any means
Tommy , and Yellow Brick Road sounds really good.
Even Dylan blew me away with it's clarity in Stereo , i might have to break down now and by a couple of Dylan sacd's lol

dougi said:
Even Dylan blew me away with it's clarity in Stereo , i might have to break down now and by a couple of Dylan sacd's lol

Some of the Dylan SACDs are surprising in their sonics. Certainly an upgrade from what we've heard of Dylan on CD in the past.

Back