Rolling Stone to Give Away 1.3 Million Surround SACDs !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dougi said:
Yeah i got the disc tonight, and yes i thought some of the tracks did sound better than the original disc's.
Money seemed to have more response in the rears.
But this is not a problem by any means
Tommy , and Yellow Brick Road sounds really good.
Even Dylan blew me away with it's clarity in Stereo , i might have to break down now and by a couple of Dylan sacd's lol
Anyone notice a tone/beep about 3 minutes into Money? Is that a "watermark" ?

Some very good stuff on this freebie. Elton John and Aerosmith are probably what impressed me most (the 1st sacd I bought was DSOM so Money wasn't new to me). Aerosmith was the 1st hard rock I have on this format and I am now a believer! I thought only highly produced albums would benefit from the multicahnnel. I was wrong. I am now out to buy Peace Sells (for DVD-A).

forrest said:
Some very good stuff on this freebie. Elton John and Aerosmith are probably what impressed me most (the 1st sacd I bought was DSOM so Money wasn't new to me). Aerosmith was the 1st hard rock I have on this format and I am now a believer! I thought only highly produced albums would benefit from the multicahnnel. I was wrong. I am now out to buy Peace Sells (for DVD-A).

Sweet Emotion is good but make sure to check out "Walk This Way" on the Aerosmith "Toys in the Attic" Surround Sound SACD. A lot of fun !

Sure are a bunch of these on ebay now, in the sacd category. One seller even has one of the "rare" ones. Wonder what the difference is. More wrinkles on the case, perhaps? Some idio... um... buyers are paying over $10 for them.

narcopolo said:
Sure are a bunch of these on ebay now, in the sacd category. One seller even has one of the "rare" ones. Wonder what the difference is. More wrinkles on the case, perhaps? Some idio... um... buyers are paying over $10 for them.

... but what is the seller doing with all of those COLLECTORS EDITION Rolling Stone magazines? Makes one think ... HMMMMMMMM ... I wonder if he knows something that we don't. :D Mike.

This may deserve a GIANT Collective DUhhhh, but I got this CD by chance and played it through my old timey Sansui QS decoded system and I'll be danged if it didn't sound as quad as anything I've ever heard.
Do these things work in 4 channels when played through a QS/SQ decoder?

How 'bout it?!

quadfish said:
This may deserve a GIANT Collective DUhhhh, but I got this CD by chance and played it through my old timey Sansui QS decoded system and I'll be danged if it didn't sound as quad as anything I've ever heard.

Do these things work in 4 channels when played through a QS/SQ decoder?

How 'bout it?!

Well, it is a Hybrid Surround SACD, so it has a CD Audio layer on it which can be run through a matrix quad decoder.

But I'd certainly be sure to play the disc back through an SACD player so you can hear the discrete surround sound mix of each of the tracks.

I hate to sound so out of the loop, old fashioned and ignorant, but...

If I had a SACD player and played it through my matrix decoder, are you saying that I would be getting discrete 4 channel sound?!

If so, where has this been all my life?

Excuse me for sounding like such a Newbie, I just finally got caught back up on Quad after about a 30 year hiatus. In other words, I could never afford it back in the 70's, so I'm making up for lost time. Buying lots of lps on ebay, etc.

Somebody please steer me straight if there's a better way!!

Thanks!!

quadfish said:
I hate to sound so out of the loop, old fashioned and ignorant, but...

If I had a SACD player and played it through my matrix decoder, are you saying that I would be getting discrete 4 channel sound?!

Thanks!!

Actually a Surround Sound SACD player will give you 5.1 channels of discrete surround sound with no matrix decoder required.

That explains the interest that folks here have in the new hi rez formats - they come with discrete sound outputs out of the box !

Did any one in Australia get a copy of the Rolling Stone WITH SACD. I have looked everywhere. The edition with 500 on the cover is available but no disc :mad:

bming said:
Did any one in Australia get a copy of the Rolling Stone WITH SACD. I have looked everywhere. The edition with 500 on the cover is available but no disc :mad:
I brought mine at BORDERS BOOKS
at KNOX Shopping center
Melbourne
Ron

Back