HiRez Poll RUSH - SIGNALS (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION) [Blu-Ray Audio (Dolby Atmos)]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of RUSH - SIGNALS (40TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new 40th anniversary edition of the classic RUSH album "Signals".
This new 40th anniversary edition contains a Blu-Ray audio disc with new 5.1 surround & Dolby Atmos mixes from their longtime engineer Richard Chycki.
The Dolby Atmos mix is also available to stream on all Dolby Atmos streaming providers:

81aWLYobubL._SL1500_.jpg

81jGET-YsdL._SL1500_.jpg

I got my box set on Friday and listened to the Atmos mix. First thing i noticed was that the volume level it was mixed at was a little lower than most other discs I have. So I did bump up the volume a bit to address that. After the first listen I felt the LFE channel was a hair low for my tastes. I did a 2nd listen last night and bumped up the LFE by 2dB and was much happier overall with it. the mix itself is not overly adventurous, but does add to the overall listening experience.

Strongest possible 7.5 from me.
Beside the fact that it is a total rip off to the Rush fans, the main vocals are burried in reverb. It sits much better in the stereo mix.
Losing it is the best atmos mix on the disc. Jep. But there are other moments where volumes are uneven and the mix falls together when immersive parts end.
I love this album very much….it is in my top 5!
But imho S.Wilson or Taylor or Scoord had done a better job.

I liked it a lot the first time I listened on Apple Music, then when I first put on the Blu Ray I was multitasking (shame on me) and didn't have a focused listen but could tell it sounded better and sharper than the streaming version with much more presence and definition in everything other than the fronts. I liked it a lot, but was feeling it a little weak—I did what @fourml8r suggested and pumped my two subs from 12:00 to 2:00, sat for a focused listen, and LOVED it. The use of all the speakers on the second side/half is downright thrilling, but the whole thing sounds fabulous.

I am now thinking it really has been a fool's errand for me to try to find a single "set it and forget it" at least when it comes to the subs. I'm really trying for that with the general EQ because I will have zero patience for mucking around with that for different releases (it's a royal PIA using the digital interface on my Marantz) and honestly have never felt the need for it, but the sub is a different story—I felt the need for it, and also it's no big deal to move the physical knobs around a bit especially when I'm going to sit and listen to a full album start to finish. Only reason I don't keep it high all the time is when I pop in something like Tiesto or Yello and I'm afraid my spleen is going to rupture (or I'll wreck my speakers), so I play it safe(r).

Next up I'm going back to pump Moving Pictures in the same way. But as far as Signals goes, for a catalog release like this, from 1982? I can't imagine what the heck else I could possibly want from this. There goes a tenner.

We have gone back and forth on the Richard Chycki's 5.1 true hd vs the 5.1 DTS MA of the Moving Pictures and Signals BR's. The 5.1 DTS on MP is a major improvement vs the 5.1 True hd on Signals. Don't get me wrong, we love the Signals BR too and so glad to have this set as well.. No better sounding anywhere. But we'd love to know WHY a quality DTS was not in the Signals BR. One that is at least the same quality as MP. Can't find an answer anywhere. Voted 7 as we compared the Richard Chycki's 5.1's on both BR's. For those with both BR's, I think you too would hear the obvious. (5.1 only) No secret there. Also, in comparison, the truehd 5.1 on Signals was not very consistent per track. I said it seemed lazy to me..... Seems on target. We are fanatic Rush fans too! Also..Losing It was the best sounding track. So close...but... Among our favorite Rush songs. For those who love the atmos version. Right on! But the reviews/score should ~count~ across the board in sound quality of listed versions. We pay for this. And what SHOULD have been there. Best we could do. Honest. Go listen to Witch Hunt on MP 5.1 dts ma !!! AWESOME in here!! ~another of the favorites. We should have been in awe for Signals too! No excuse. We had the entire sets played in here last night again. LOUD at times too. The coyotes are pissed :p

Last edited:
I gave it a 9. It is way better than the 2011 mix but I don't think it is quite perfect. I think my main issue is it sounds a bit too much like the 2011 mix. The 2011 mix tried to make it sound more aggressive than the original mix and I'm not a big fan of that change. The stereo mix of this album is one of my favorite sounding albums. I even use it when testing new speakers as I've listened to it so many times. This new mix isn't nearly as bad in that regard but it still has some of that sound to it but it is a much better surround mix than the 2011 mix. The original stereo mix on the Blu-ray (haven't tried the cd yet but assume it sounds the same) sounds really good. It's just as good if not better than the old Mercury atomic cd that has been my preferred version. One thing I will definitely say about this new mix is it is one of those mixes where once I got everything set up and sat in the right spot the speakers seemed to disappear. It may not be the most active surround mix in many places (it definitely gets active in certain spots) but it is definitely immersive. (I am referencing the new 5.1 mix as I don't have an Atmos setup)

I'm going for a 7 on this , I actually prefer the 2011 5.1 mix ( I don't have Atmos ) like the previous mix the first Side (tracks 1-4) have little surround action and then things pick up on the original Side Two (5-8), New World Man sounds better on this version, but overall I'm a bit disappointed with this mix (visuals are great though).

I confess I haven't heard the new Dolby Atmos mix of Signals but in the course of listening to the 5.1 Dolby mix in the Sectors boxed set I thought to myself "If they bothered to enhance the rocket lift-off in Countdown with LFE from my subwoofer I'll give the whole album my thumbs up---otherwise not." Come to listen... no LFE. Am I right in assuming there is still no LFE in the DA mix of Countdown?

I confess I haven't heard the new Dolby Atmos mix of Signals but in the course of listening to the 5.1 Dolby mix in the Sectors boxed set I thought to myself "If they bothered to enhance the rocket lift-off in Countdown with LFE from my subwoofer I'll give the whole album my thumbs up---otherwise not." Come to listen... no LFE. Am I right in assuming there is still no LFE in the DA mix of Countdown?
There's bass, but I don't remember earth shattering low frequencies from the original recording either.

There's bass, but I don't remember earth shattering low frequencies from the original recording either.
All the other Cape Canaveral recordings are quite effective, but "a thunderous roar...like the whole world exploding" the shuttle lift-off is not.

Finally listened to it and I am dumbfounded….
first of all , the overall sound is quite different from the original release and it somehow feels like it’s playing at a different speed too.
Once we get to Digital man, the synths overpower everything else, the bass, gtr and drums seem to vanish; one thing is to try to spotlight stuff that was not in the open but not at the cost of the rest of the elements.
The reverbs are all wrong too…
Trust me, I really wanted to love this ATMOS mix but , alas…it is doing the opposite….
It may be quite harsh to say it but this mix shows me how NOT to do an ATMOS mix.

Finally listened to it and I am dumbfounded….
first of all , the overall sound is quite different from the original release and it somehow feels like it’s playing at a different speed too.
Once we get to Digital man, the synths overpower everything else, the bass, gtr and drums seem to vanish; one thing is to try to spotlight stuff that was not in the open but not at the cost of the rest of the elements.
The reverbs are all wrong too…
Trust me, I really wanted to love this ATMOS mix but , alas…it is doing the opposite….
It may be quite harsh to say it but this mix shows me how NOT to do an ATMOS mix.
or even a really GOOD 5.1 in our opinion. Sure missing good DTS MA BR now. We absolutely knew this was going to happen. But is typical. Glad some love the Atmos 'whatever titles'......but we are obviously done. Not pissing away another dime. The sloppy will get worse.. (IS) especially for us without 'ATMOS'. It's BAD ASS Though! Should go for 31 channels! It's MORE! All I am doing is being HONEST. The internet, music companies and streaming will see to it $$$. Why would anyone be 'surprised' ? ...and who exactly is going to mix for quality in the thousands upon thousands of titles pumped through the internet music streamer outfits? The SLOP will become way more frequent. I am sure it already has. Even on a few of the latest NON-DTS BR releases as of late.:sneaky:

Last edited:
Back