SACD....by the numbers

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm unaware of any existing hybrid Blu-rays of any kind, be it Blu-ray/CD or Blu-ray/DVD or Blu-ray/SACD. Have any ever been pressed commercially?
I believe the initial Blu-ray issues of the Bourne Trilogy were hybrid Dual-layer DVD and Dual-Layer Blu-ray on one side of the disc.

It's not a very well-known feature of Blu-ray, that's for sure.

Edit: The Bourne Trilogy were actually flipper discs, apparently.

The reason Hybrid Blu-ray discs can work without compatibility issues is because the Blu-ray data layers are much closer to the label side of the disc while CD and DVD layers are kinda in the middle. So there's no conflict.

I would love to get my hands on one of these discs for my collection...
I would love to release on a Hybrid! Unfortunately Blu-ray serves no real purpose unless I run out of space on a DVD or SACD...or so Atmos.

Furthermore, it's certainly more prohibitive in terms of cost.

I would love to release on a Hybrid! Unfortunately Blu-ray serves no real purpose unless I run out of space on a DVD or SACD...or so Atmos.

Furthermore, it's certainly more prohibitive in terms of cost.
Indeed, data storage wise there's a huge difference between a single layer DVD and a single layer Blu-ray, which is why I quite liked the idea of authoring to AVCHD.

That being said... As soon as you creep above a single layer DVD's capacity, what's the price difference between a dual layer DVD and a single layer Blu-ray?

Indeed, data storage wise there's a huge difference between a single layer DVD and a single layer Blu-ray, which is why I quite liked the idea of authoring to AVCHD.

That being said... As soon as you creep above a single layer DVD's capacity, what's the price difference between a dual layer DVD and a single layer Blu-ray?
I'm afraid I'm not allowed to reveal any specific details. Contract stuff. I will however say that the price differences only apply to really small pressings amounts like mine, as once you go above a certain number it's all virtually the same cost.

Re: small pressing amounts - is BD-R a viable option - manufacture on demand?

(a few of my recently purchased DVDs [kinda obscure TV shows and movies] have been on DVD-Rs, strangely, the DVD-Rs are not allowed to use the official DVD logo)

Kirk Bayne

Re: small pressing amounts - is BD-R a viable option - manufacture on demand?

(a few of my recently purchased DVDs [kinda obscure TV shows and movies] have been on DVD-Rs, strangely, the DVD-Rs are not allowed to use the official DVD logo)

Kirk Bayne
I can't objectively answer this: I feel very strongly about doing proper pressings when possible. Cost-wise, it can be less or more per unit than a normal BD depending on who you go through. The amount of customization available on a BD-R is usually far less than a pressed disc. Any recordable media is usually for when you need under 300 or 500 units...

Wasn't there a German group at one time doing that with DVDA? That is burn a disc and mail it. Can't remember the site offhand, seems the artists did Quad though...
You've just reminded me... Many years ago I did some work with a media company that offered links to their content as .iso disc images. This was before PC's had a reliable way to mount disc images and before we had ImgBurn... What a ball-ache!

It's one thing to press discs, but how is the format actually selling? I'm still buying, but I feel like I'm in the minority even among surround enthusiasts. The surround listening community seems to be dividing into two camps -- Atmos v Everyone Else. Obviously SACD is, at best, a 5.1 format so it won't appeal to those looking for or requiring Atmos for it to be worth their ear time.
Don’t forget that we are a subset of the overall SACD buyers. There are many more audiophiles that buy them just for stereo or mono due to their higher fidelity.

Don’t forget that we are a subset of the overall SACD buyers. There are many more audiophiles that buy them just for stereo or mono due to their higher fidelity.
At least we are still willing to buy music on discs along with their players... I find it pretty depressing that this decade will most probably be the last decade for us disc lovers...

Last edited:
And from Japan's Victor Entertainment: Lee Ritenour in RIO [hybrid Stereo SACD]

Lee Ritenour: In Rio

SACD

Last edited:
Back