SACDs for $10.98 at Sony Music Web Store [MERGED] (Don't Forget the Discount Codes)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you pay with AMEX, enter SAVEAMEX as the discount code and get 20% off! I think this promo ends tomorrow (12/31). [SHOPVISA gets 15% off with a VISA card]

Good sale, decent prices, thanks for the info! I could do with a few of these now the prices are half-reasonable.
You know what I really like though? On the front end of the Sony Music Store, is there a direct link to SACD? Is it even mentioned? Oh no. It reminds me of what goes in in the big retaillers, mixing SACD with the CDs. Sale by coincidence, not by intent, I think is the phrase.

If you type SACD in the search engine it will bring you to them. It shows them as regular CD's but in little green writing there is a link to the SACD. It doesn't give much in the description; therefore it takes a bit of investigating to find out if they are stereo, surround or hybrid. I went to an Amazon window on the side.

Wow,

Thanks for the great tip.

Got these discs. w/Free Shipping. w/40% Holiday sale. w/15% VISA discount.

Almost stealing.

Now how do these sound?

Album Catalog # Format Price Qty Shipped
Boston
Boston 1ES34188 SACD $9.33 1 0
Miles Davis
Sketches Of Spain 1CS65142 SACD $9.33 1 0
Miles Davis
'Round About Midnight 1CS85201 SACD $9.33 1 0
Jeff Beck
Blow By Blow 1ES85440 SACD $9.33 1 0
Miles Davis
Quiet Nights 1CS65293 SACD $9.33 1 0
Miles Davis
Black Beauty: Miles Davis At Fillmore West 1C2S65138 SACD $16.98 1 0

Order Subtotal: $63.63
Tax: $5.25
Shipping Charges: $0.00
Order Total: $68.88
Saved: $56.52

This is a great sale. The problem is that there are no indications on the web site as to whether or not a given title is stereo-only or both stereo AND mutli-channel. I would hate to order something thinking it was MC and end up with a stereo-only.

Thanks for the heads-up, Brian. I remember hearing of a similar Sony sale a couple of months back, but it seemed the seleciton of sale items was more limited than what this appears to be. I'll have to check it out.

The only question is what is offered by Sony that I still need to get and will it be on sale. If only Sony were pumping out more releases. (Sigh).

I see some possibilities...

Some James Taylor, Janis Joplin, Indigo Girls...

And here's one I've never considered before: Earth, Wind, & Fire - "Gratitude". Has anyone heard this before? I might just have to risk it! :cool:

I merged these two threads.

Don't forget to use the discount codes! Dylan SACD box is $139 w/AMEX!

D'oh!! I just decided to "check out" the Sony site based on this and wound up buying over a dozen discs!

Hey, I'll just consider it a late Christmas present for myself... :D

What a sweet deal - thanks for the heads up! Bought a few titles I'd been wanting for awhile, including the remainder of my Dylan discs, the Thorns self-titled, "Cheap Thrills" and Peter Tosh's "Legalize This" (which had been sitting, unpurchased, on my towerrecords.com wish list since May of last year, for $16!)

Eugenius said:
And here's one I've never considered before: Earth, Wind, & Fire - "Gratitude". Has anyone heard this before? I might just have to risk it!
FYI, this is a live album, so if you're looking for their hits in 5.1, this probably isn't what you're looking for. (It is m/c, though.) I don't own it myself, so I can't really comment on it either way.

Yeah, SAVEAMEX not SHOPAMEX as I read in the original new story. Since it rejected that I used VISA and got the 15% off at least. Now I see more msgs and lo and behold SAVEAMEX appears!

So I go to my order history to change it to Amex and there is no way to do it. Call and they're on holiday; leave a message as to how. Methinks my order will ship with no such acknowlegement. Oh well.

I did trim it down to eight SACDs; no Tubular Bells and okay selection given...

Well i sure hope Miles Davis
Live - Evil 1C2S65135 CD $15.98 1 0
is really the SACD. Seems to have a SACD catalog number.
I got my AMEX order in.

Attachments

• sacd.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
dprokopy said:
FYI, this is a live album, so if you're looking for their hits in 5.1, this probably isn't what you're looking for. (It is m/c, though.) I don't own it myself, so I can't really comment on it either way.

Yeah... I thought that maybe this one would be a studio recording at first since the only other Earth, Wind, & Fire SACD appears to also be a live show. Oh, well... I went for it, anyway. I don't know much about them and I don't yet own any of their albums, but I've been on a pretty big Earth, Wind, & Fire 'kick' ever since I saw the movie "Baaadaassss". I'm not sure if "Gratitude" is mostly original songs being recorded live instead of in studio---ala Eric Johnson's "Alien Love Child"---or exactly what it is. Regardless, All Music Guide seems pretty high on the live album for what that's worth. Hopefully the mix is at least serviceable.

I also went for these:

Janis Joplin - "Cheap Thrills"

Billy Joel - "52nd Street" (no SACD of The Stranger offered for some reason)

David Bowie - "Reality" (I expect it's only mediocre, but I've been searching in vain to find this disc at a brick and mortar store.)

The O'Jays - "Ship Ahoy"

So 5 discs total. There's nothing here that I really needed to have, but I figured roughly $9.00 bucks a piece after the coupon was cheap enough to gamble. Frankly, I'm just glad I came to my senses and removed a few other discs---like Toto IV---before I hit the "submit" button!!! :eek:

Eugenius said:
Yeah... I thought that maybe this one would be a studio recording at first since the only other Earth, Wind, & Fire SACD appears to also be a live show. Oh, well... I went for it, anyway. I don't know much about them and I don't yet own any of their albums, but I've been on a pretty big Earth, Wind, & Fire 'kick' ever since I saw the movie "Baaadaassss". I'm not sure if "Gratitude" is mostly original songs being recorded live instead of in studio---ala Eric Johnson's "Alien Love Child"---or exactly what it is. Regardless, All Music Guide seems pretty high on the live album for what that's worth. Hopefully the mix is at least serviceable.

I also went for these:

Janis Joplin - "Cheap Thrills"

Billy Joel - "52nd Street" (no SACD of The Stranger offered for some reason)

David Bowie - "Reality" (I expect it's only mediocre, but I've been searching in vain to find this disc at a brick and mortar store.)

The O'Jays - "Ship Ahoy"

So 5 discs total. There's nothing here that I really needed to have, but I figured roughly $9.00 bucks a piece after the coupon was cheap enough to gamble. Frankly, I'm just glad I came to my senses and removed a few other discs---like Toto IV---before I hit the "submit" button!!! :eek:

You have some interesting ones in there. The O' Jays SACD is a real standout in Surround. A must own - especially at these prices! :)

It's good to hear "Ship Ahoy" is a quality disc. That's probably the one I'm most looking forward to hearing. Lately, I've been listening to a lot of Darryl Hall & John Oates---especially their 70s stuff---and so I've been pining for a little more Philadelphia Soul-influenced music.

Back