Sanyo DC 8500K

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffN

bought this little gem recently for $*** in Australia.

It's an audiophiles wetdream and its a 30year old piece of furniture that does CD-4 and SQ.

And whats more, I like it. :phones

Attachments

• PA140007.jpg
    PA140007.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 437
  • PA140012.jpg
    PA140012.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 472
  • PA140015.jpg
    PA140015.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Howdy all!
I bought one of these today for A$100. It is in excellent condition and came with the original operators manual, mint CD-4 test record and a fairly good quality Sanyo (dolby + ferrite head) cassette deck so I feel I wasn't too hard done by. Besides I love these things.

Still, I've never seen one of those QRX things (that I hear so much about) in the flesh but I'm pretty happy with these things that I do have and enjoy. They sound fine to me. I run my Pioneer DV610 through one of my other Sanyo quad systems so presently I'm listening to the Pet Sounds DVD-A in quad. The same way I listen to all my other surround recordings. I'm pretty certain that I don't need the center channel or the .1
All the best
Tom

Nice one Watson, vintage Quadraphonic stuff is very hard to find here in OZ, it's always good to hear when someone tracks down something...ANYTHING...!!, (not like in the U.S. where it seems like I always read about someone picking up an nice QR or early QRX Sansui at a flea market for $30...geeez you have it toooo good over there...!!!).

There's a place in Melbourne (Hi-Fi Exchange) which I mentioned just recently in another thread...I saw another one of those (regular cabinate-less version) Quad Sanyo units there which needs a bit of work (functional but a bit scratchy), I know they have a JVC 4VR-5456 Quad receiver (..possibly a couple) but in need of repairs,...pretty slim pickings.

Congrats Watson on finding something QUAD here in OZ that works..(y)

...wow...I just noticed the original post here is 4 years old....

...and that's about as long as it takes to find decent Quad stuff down here if you rely on walk in shops...:fly:

G'day all,
I've got a Sanyo DCX 3500K quad receiver that looks almost identical to the receiver in your photo. You don't by any chance have any specs or any other useful info like years made, MSRP, or the like do you? I'd appreceiate it if you do.
Thanx, The Wiz

I just picked up the exact same unit (DC 8500K)for $15.00 at a deceased estate sale today . Absolute mint condition. Took it home pluggged it in . A few scratchy pots but it works.

Hoiwever the belt on the turntable has dissolved into a goo which I still cant get off my hands and the needle on the cartridge is broken.

Interested to make this puppy work as I only have one SQ record Dark side of the moon . Does any one have an instruction manual ? I only have the front page and the circuit diagram and nothing else.

I had an old JVC 4 channel amp/ tuner which had a face like a car dash board but I don't think it had SQ. At the time I looked at trying to get a 4 channel cartridge / stylus and seeing what this stuff actually sounded like. The research I did was a bit negative about quadrophonic. too many systems, lack of properly recorded quad records and the stylus's were finicky. I rememeber when they came out but they faded fast from memory

I'd like it give it a go again. Can you buy stylus / cartridges for SQ decoding ? Is it worth the expense ?

Regards

quadphile

Quadphile,

Any good cartridge/stylus will work for SQ. The only "finicky" cartridges are those designed for CD-4, as they have to be able to pick up the supersonic signals that CD-4 use to encode 4 channel information into 2 stereo channels.

Be sure your cables are in good shape, not that you need $400.00 cables, just good audio cables that you can get for around $15.00 or so, and yes, it is worth the expense.

As for the turntable, I had the same problem with a shure turntable and solved it by getting some 90% alcohol to remove the old belt residue and you should be able to google a replacement belt.

Give all the audio pots and switches a dose of De-Oxit and then try out the system. I think you will like what you hear.

MTGC (Michael)

MTGC,

Thanks for the tips. Its really helpful. I pulled the amp out thinking it was a seperate but its a hybrid. No covers on the chassis.At least it has a chassis. Where we live gets quite dusty with the desert not that far out and we get this bulldust type stuff which is like flour. Sure enough it had a bit in there . When I used to pull apart amps in the coast they were full of rust . Out here theres no salt so it cleaned up like a new pin.

De oxit is better than the only thing I could buy locally which is servisol ? I miss freon.

I was always confused about stylus and cartridges. I though the trick was in the needle but maybe I'm getting confused with CD4. So your saying a standard stereo cartridge will decode an SQ record through the amp ? Cheeers AP

i have one of these
i got it off my dad, can anyone upload the original manual for this wonderful unit

Back