HiRez Poll Scaggs, Boz - DIG [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Boz Scaggs - DIG

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sound, Bad Content

• Total voters
I've never bit on this one. Even though I like his live material from this era, which is fairly organic, the album tracks, by comparison, feel too synthesized, to my ears.
Yay? Nay?

You should revisit it...I gave it a 9 only because of the odd sound on Sarah...if I was still voting on polls it would be a 10...the content overall is that good...

I'm a huge Boz fan; I've seen him many times in concert, all the way back to the earlier 70's. This is one of my favorite surround discs to listen to, wonderful full bass and of course Scheiner mix. I prefer his earlier music on: "MY TIME & BOZ SCAGGS AND BAND", but doubt we'll ever have those in surround. :cry: Boz has said the Dig album was when he felt he had total command of his vocal abilities for the first time. Fooled me! Absolute must have "10" surround album, IMNSHO.

I'm a huge Boz fan; I've seen him many times in concert, all the way back to the earlier 70's. This is one of my favorite surround discs to listen to, wonderful full bass and of course Scheiner mix. I prefer his earlier music on: "MY TIME & BOZ SCAGGS AND BAND", but doubt we'll ever have those in surround. :cry: Boz has said the Dig album was when he felt he had total command of his vocal abilities for the first time. Fooled me! Absolute must have "10" surround album, IMNSHO.

I love DIG...and it's interesting that Boz would mention that he had total command of his vocal abilities for the the first time...DIG was released 36 years after his first album..he was in his late 50's...it really didn't chart very well...I've always hoped we would get an "official" surround release of Silk Degrees....great album....

Last edited:
Just arrived yesterday. Thanks again @Clint Eastwood for pointing me towards the Amazon Marketplace listing.

Wow! What a wild mix by Mr. Scheiner. A few tracks kick off with some very quad-esque around-the-room pans, the horns are solely in the right rear channel, and the rears are chock full of percussion, strings, backing vocals, and rhythm guitar. On several of the songs it really feels like half the instrumentation is in front of you and the other half is behind you.

One really interesting thing I noticed is that, very uncharacteristically for ES, there's very little reflection support/cross-channel bleed. Stuff like the strings and synth in "Vanishing Point" are really only in the rears- if you just listen to the fronts there's no trace of it. Same thing with Boz's vocal- no trace in the rear. Sort of like an old Columbia Q8 mix. The only other Scheiner mix I've seen this in is Toy Matinee.

I'm enjoying the content as well. Like other posters, "Vanishing Point" is a standout track for me. But there are two things about the production that I'm not crazy about: one is the rather clinical sound, which is odd as I like the later Steely Dan albums that are often said to be too perfect-sounding. The other is that the drums sound very synthesized/robotic to my ears on certain songs, particularly "Payday" and "Get On The Natch".

"Payday" (You can "see" at around 1:10 that most of the percussion moves to the rears- another unusual move for ES):
Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 5.26.13 PM.png

"Vanishing Point":
Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 5.27.42 PM.png

Last edited:
this is one of the very few discs that does not get the recognition it deserves... this would have been a Grammy winner for the 2002 Grammy awards for Best Surround mix...
This is such an Aural delight!!!!...it has all the elements of a desert island disc, a more than perfect MCH mix, gorgeous licks and arrangements and inspired lyrics...
I have been flummoxed several times over by this album already...
My take is (and I'll get flak for this.. or not)...

This is what a Steely Dan album would sound like with SOUL and a REAL singer....

Boz's voice has matured perfectly and the dry production is not sterile...
also, as a bass player I am extremely impressed with the full bodied low end on this in spite of not having a bass player, except for ONE song which has none other than Nathan East .. and it STILL sounds like a synth bass...

There are traces of Sting like influences in "I just go" but.. can you blame him???

Boz is also a world class guitarist with a beyond tasteful solos all over the album...

I also love the weird synth ambience "fly bys" that are usually in the rear channels...

The Monet singer has a beautiful tone to her voice which is put to perfect use here..

this is the kind of disc that establishes an atmosphere no other disc would.. some come close.. but no cigar!!!

Proof that you can put out a PERFECT album and have basically no one in this world notice it (except for the few of us here on QQ)... definitely worth the money they ask for online..gorgeous, just gorgeous...

(Thank you so much J Pupster!!!)

of course a definite no brainer 10

This disc has it all for me. Crisp and clear percussion with full sonics and bass. Silky smooth guitar and the seasoned and mature voice of Boz. The music and the mix create some great open spaces in the room that makes you want to kick back and chill!

I just got myself a copy of this one and it may not come out of the player for the rest of the weekend! It's a 10 for me.

Question!

On Buy.com I only see a selection that states "Enhanced CD with bonus DVD"
Is this the one? It makes no mention of DVD-A.

It also is not described as a special package "cloth bound booklet"

Just trying to make sure I get the right one ;)

Thanks

I've also seen this, could someone confirm that this is the DVD-A, please ??

Just to state it says "promotional copy" ??

Thanks, so it looks like one is a thicker hard backed cloth cover & the other a slimmer package ?? Have i got that right ?? The code matches.
Not quite... They are both the same hardbacked cloth cover and same size, but different catalog numbers.
7243-8-11008-0-6 - from the Post#1
7087-6-16191-0-2 - promo US copy (I have this one)

Thanks, so it looks like one is a thicker hard backed cloth cover & the other a slimmer package ?? Have i got that right ?? The code matches.
According to the notes on the Promo version they should be the same:

US promotional copy. Same content and packaging as Boz Scaggs - Dig , but with different catalog number.

Not quite... They are both the same hardbacked cloth cover and same size, but different catalog numbers.
7243-8-11008-0-6 - from the Post#1
7087-6-16191-0-2 - promo US copy (I have this one)

Thank you for the replies and confirmations - yes, i've just ordered the promo US copy.....i can't wait to hear it ! Strangely, being a huge Toto fan, as you can gather, i have never owned a Boz Scaggs CD, until today....DIG arrived.....and it jogged my memory that there was a DVD-A version.....also ordered 7 other CD's of his.....waiting for them, but have Amazon free rip of "Some Change" album, which iis wonderful !!! I don't really know why i never got round to buying "Silk Degrees", all these years.....but it just popped into my head the other evening and i was then listening to Boz Scaggs on Spotify till 2am ! Just then had to order some of his CD's......it's great discovering any musical artist, especially one's that have been right under your nose & not realised !!

I have the 'Promo' version ending in 1-0-2...Post 2
It has all you are looking for.

Never knew there was two versions issued.
Been raving about it ever since the first listen.....just so cool.

Thank you for the replies and confirmations - yes, i've just ordered the promo US copy.....i can't wait to hear it ! Strangely, being a huge Toto fan, as you can gather, i have never owned a Boz Scaggs CD, until today....DIG arrived.....and it jogged my memory that there was a DVD-A version.....also ordered 7 other CD's of his.....waiting for them, but have Amazon free rip of "Some Change" album, which iis wonderful !!! I don't really know why i never got round to buying "Silk Degrees", all these years.....but it just popped into my head the other evening and i was then listening to Boz Scaggs on Spotify till 2am ! Just then had to order some of his CD's......it's great discovering any musical artist, especially one's that have been right under your nose & not realised !!
His 2018 CD "Out Of The Blues " is excellent

Again, how in the hell do you vote a 5, on something that sounds this amazing. If you hate the music, I mean.....why buy it? I still find myself scratching my head on votes. So, let's play along. There are 3 catagories. Content, Sound, Mix.

Content - OK, you hate it. 1
Sound - unless you are deaf, it's at least an 8-10
Mix - again, unless you have bizarre mix desires....8-10

1+8+8....divided by 3...drum roll....... 5.66666

OK, maybe the vote is OK. lmfao

I have the 'Promo' version ending in 1-0-2...Post 2
It has all you are looking for.

Never knew there was two versions issued.
Been raving about it ever since the first listen.....just so cool.

THE COOLNESS, is David Paich....well his unmistakeable signature is there....of course, Boz adds something !! ;)
His 2018 CD "Out Of The Blues " is excellent

It's one i haven't listened to yet, but will.

Thanks for the suggestion....another one i haven't listened to yet, but will do.

Back