Seeking budget DVD-A player - any recommendations?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbmay75

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Hi everyone,

I’ve been away from the surround world for quite a while now and while I have a Sony to handle my SACD needs I’m without a DVD-A player these days. Can anyone recommend a worthy model that can still be found on eBay for $100-150?

FWIW I had two Oppos back in the day including the 980H but I seem to recall them having an issue with DVD-A’s jumping ahead a few seconds on the first track. I’m looking for a player that would not have that issue obviously.

I have not had early Oppo pre blu ray players. I personally would look for a BDP 80, 83 or 93 model and get all audio formats in one reliable machine. It may be out of your budget if you are impatient to look around but I can not extoll the virtues of Oppo enough. I would not have a dirgital player without Oppo. I have 2 both bought second hand carefully and I am as happy as a pig in.... a sty. Oppo still services all their models with modest fees and I have never heard any well founded problems with Oppo service. Needless to say I love my Oppos. I have an 83 in the living room and a 103 in bedroom because there is no analog video on it.

If you can find a OPPO 103 they can be really cheap if it's just a player with a remote, they have a great Audio section and a very Good DVD player... a 83 is good too but its processor is pretty old.

I was in the same situation as I have a Sony Blu-Ray player to handle my Blu-rays, SACD's and direct flac files on USB. But I didn't have DVD-Audio and I wanted an inexpensive solution for the limited DVD-A's I had in my collection. I also preferred a HDMI connection for my current Pioneer AV receiver. I was able to find a used Panasonic DVD-S52 player with a remote on eBay for about $40 if I recall. It does a great job for my needs and I was surprised at the deeper, warm tone some of the DVD-A's have. In fact, since I obtained the Panasonic player I have added some of my favorite MCH discs in that format (America - Homecoming, Bill Withers, Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad, Marvin Gaye, & Talking Heads to name a few). The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of an eject button on the remote. I like to hit the eject button and save myself a few seconds as I get myself out of the LazyBoy and make my way over to load another disc!

Hi everyone,

I’ve been away from the surround world for quite a while now and while I have a Sony to handle my SACD needs I’m without a DVD-A player these days. Can anyone recommend a worthy model that can still be found on eBay for $100-150?

FWIW I had two Oppos back in the day including the 980H but I seem to recall them having an issue with DVD-A’s jumping ahead a few seconds on the first track. I’m looking for a player that would not have that issue obviously.
I had the 980H and don't recall any problems, but who knows?

I feel like a broken record recommending the Sony X800, but especially if you don't care about Dolby Vision support, the first edition of the X800 is easy to get on eBay refurbished at that price point. Sony sells a lot of them as-is or refurb through liquidation dot com, which in turn make their way to various electronics flippers.

I have a Panny dvd changer put away after I got SACD support on my Oppo. I never could get it to play 5 audio discs automatically. I'd pass it on to the OP for free if they had been local. I will never use anything else after the Oppos. I was gonna use it in my workshop but my BSR changer will happily suffice with old soul LPs while I play with my tools.

Foobar is free and so is the DVD-A plugin.

Just rip the DVD-A to a HDD using any dvd drive that most PC's already have.

and Voilà

If you can find a OPPO 103 they can be really cheap if it's just a player with a remote, they have a great Audio section and a very Good DVD player... a 83 is good too but its processor is pretty old.

I guess it depends on your opinion of what constitutes "really cheap"...6 months ago that might have been true...right now you are going to pay at least $350(with shipping)....here is a "beat up" 103 with numerous cosmetic issues..and NO remote and he's asking $349...now he is open to a best offer...so even if you got him down to $300 you will have shipping costs at $45 and NO REMOTE...a 103 in good condition will start at $400 RIGHT NOW...but having said that...a used 103 in good condition is worth it...compared to the alternatives you would have that isn't an Oppo...

I guess it depends on your opinion of what constitutes "really cheap"...6 months ago that might have been true...right now you are going to pay at least $350(with shipping)....here is a "beat up" 103 with numerous cosmetic issues..and NO remote and he's asking $349...now he is open to a best offer...so even if you got him down to $300 you will have shipping costs at $45 and NO REMOTE...a 103 in good condition will start at $400 RIGHT NOW...but having said that...a used 103 in good condition is worth it...compared to the alternatives you would have that isn't an Oppo...
Hi
Well to me investing $400 for a complete 103 is a pretty good deal but that's me! I was only trying to suggest a reliable, quality built Blu-Ray player that can play almost anything recorded to a disc as well as having a decent builtin Dac, I am sure if you keep your eyes open you may trip across a great deal, I missed out last week by about 15 minutes on a complete OPPO 103 D with factory packaging 1 owner in excellent condition for $450 included shipping which I think is a GREAT deal since it had Darbee processing too..

Good Luck!
Stewart😎

Dbmay75, if you want my Panny, it is a disc model DVD-F87 I think. I would have to pull it from the garage and I still have the remote. I can make sure it still plays DVD-A discs as well. I used to make and play conversions on it so burned stuff is okay too. Just no SACD. It is yours for the cost of economical shipping and I woould take any advice on boxing and shipping from Ottawa Canada. If you have a courier account available to you I will work with you too. I hate to see it sitting and wasting and I never think I will use it again. If you are not interested, it is okay and the offer will go to any QQ member on the same terms.

Hi
Well to me investing $400 for a complete 103 is a pretty good deal but that's me! I was only trying to suggest a reliable, quality built Blu-Ray player that can play almost anything recorded to a disc as well as having a decent builtin Dac, I am sure if you keep your eyes open you may trip across a great deal, I missed out last week by about 15 minutes on a complete OPPO 103 D with factory packaging 1 owner in excellent condition for $450 included shipping which I think is a GREAT deal since it had Darbee processing too..

Good Luck!
Stewart😎

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you:)...but dbMay75 wanted to spend $100-150...which probably only leaves the first edition Sony X-800...

Before I got my first OPPO I used a Pioneer DV-563A DVD Player. For me it was decent player. It plays SACD and DVD-A, plus lots of the other standard formats. No Blu-ray.

It doesn't have hdmi, it has component and S- Video. The lack of HDMI is why I switched to OPPO. The 563A does have RCA outs for 5.1 audio.

There are several offered on EBay now.

Last edited:
"Really cheap"? The first one that comes is the Samsung DVD841. They come up regularly on Ebay (several on there now). They used to go for around $20 - $30 but now it looks like the average is around $40. I wouldn't pay more than that. It plays DVDs, CDs, SACDs and DVD-A. There is a hack that can be applied that allows them to also play SACD-Rs. The 841 is not even close to being in the same class as any Oppo, but decent and you said 'really cheap'. I have two or three in storage. If you can't find one, PM me and we can make a deal.

Last edited:
Back