Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That link takes you to a for sale listing but that is the early 2000's 5.1 remix. Not the "Quadio" set that we are talking about here.

"The Doobie Brothers-The Captain And Me Dvd-Audio $30"

Looking back at the poll comments people seemed to really like it. For myself give me the original quads anyday! Most of those 5.1 remixes did not impress me.
Thanks

But of no interest for me.

Just a heads-up for those late to the table on this title, or just recently got into quad- and other multichannel as I did: this box set is now OOP and unavailable. Lowest available price on eBay is $170, with the sold listings showing the following:

$155 (May 2, new)
$111 (April 30, used)
$176 (April 18, used)
$210 (April 12, new)
$118 (March 31, new)
$123 (March 23, used)
$150 (March 14, new)
$132 (March 4, used)

That said, I found one retailer that appears to have stock, and while it is more expensive than original release price, it's lower than the above eBay results. I had some trepidation as they don't have the greatest rep onlinr.

I ordered one from Dig! (France) on April 22 for 98 euros shipped (US$105). It shipped on April 25 and arrived about an hour ago. Brand new, sealed, with hype sticker, and as of today (May 4) they still show it available for order.

So if anyone else waited or has been looking for one and didn't want to go the eBay route, here you go...

https://shop.thisisdig.com/fr/dig/the-doobie-brothers-quadio-boxed-set/0603497857975.html

Since this thread is still up, I find it weird that this has been sold out for months, but is still listed (as sold out, mind you) on Rhino's store. This is not the case with the Chicago set, though.

I believe Steve told us they were considering it
That's great if demand is good enough to do so.

Seems that between the next-to-nothing interest in physical product of standard CDs these days, and the push by the industry to get people interested in "immersive" sound, that our little niche is finally getting the attention we've long deserved!

Ten years ago the couple-of-thousand units a quad re-release might have sold wasn't worth the trouble for a big label like Rhino. Today? We're probably a sizable percentage of their total sales.

That's great if demand is good enough to do so.

Seems that between the next-to-nothing interest in physical product of standard CDs these days, and the push by the industry to get people interested in "immersive" sound, that our little niche is finally getting the attention we've long deserved!

Ten years ago the couple-of-thousand units a quad re-release might have sold wasn't worth the trouble for a big label like Rhino. Today? We're probably a sizable percentage of their total sales.
I just read somewhere that CDs are big in Japan, kind of the way vinyl has gotten here. Would be nice if Sony started to release more 4 channel stuff on disc because of the Japanese interest.

I just read somewhere that CDs are big in Japan, kind of the way vinyl has gotten here. Would be nice if Sony started to release more 4 channel stuff on disc because of the Japanese interest.
At reasonable prices as opposed to what those Japanese imports cost as well, would be nice!

I know CBS was the biggest manufacturer of quad releases in the 70s, but between those Japanese releases and what they farmed out to D-V, it doesn't really seem like there is THAT much left is there?

I know there are still a few big name titles that keep coming up, but it does seem that between those two they'll probably get around to it all eventually.

What I'm finding most encouraging is Rhino dipping their toes into NEW surround mixes on physical disc. Plus what SDE is doing.

As CD sales decline, I won't be surprised to see more labels doing this. Especially since there are so many Atmos mixes being created for streaming. At that point it's just the cost of pressing discs and printing booklets which we all know isn't much. Their only risk is, of course, that they don't sell all they press.

Which--in THAT regard --- after being one who bought up pretty much everything released the last few years, I do find myself starting to be more selective now that there is so much being released. I suppose there is probably a point where they over-saturate the market.

At reasonable prices as opposed to what those Japanese imports cost as well, would be nice!

I know CBS was the biggest manufacturer of quad releases in the 70s, but between those Japanese releases and what they farmed out to D-V, it doesn't really seem like there is THAT much left is there?

I know there are still a few big name titles that keep coming up, but it does seem that between those two they'll probably get around to it all eventually.

What I'm finding most encouraging is Rhino dipping their toes into NEW surround mixes on physical disc. Plus what SDE is doing.

As CD sales decline, I won't be surprised to see more labels doing this. Especially since there are so many Atmos mixes being created for streaming. At that point it's just the cost of pressing discs and printing booklets which we all know isn't much. Their only risk is, of course, that they don't sell all they press.

Which--in THAT regard --- after being one who bought up pretty much everything released the last few years, I do find myself starting to be more selective now that there is so much being released. I suppose there is probably a point where they over-saturate the market.
No. We want the world and we want it...now? NOW!
I mean for the love of all there is I'm not getting any younger..and I buy mostly everything surround.
Would love to say there are new acolytes coming to surround every day, but from what I've seen, it's really more about movies with most people, I dare say.
We are an exceptional group of people, not the mainstream. The labels better get the money while they can.

No. We want the world and we want it...now? NOW!
I mean for the love of all there is I'm not getting any younger..and I buy mostly everything surround.
Would love to say there are new acolytes coming to surround every day, but from what I've seen, it's really more about movies with most people, I dare say.
We are an exceptional group of people, not the mainstream. The labels better get the money while they can.
Might be why we’ve seen so many releases from Rhino in just the past year. They know they gotta get that old stuff out now or it will be too late!

there's still a fair few CBS Quads either Sony Japan and/or Dutton Vocalion could do, including..

Elvis Presley (9),
Barbra Streisand (8),
Johnny Mathis (8),
Andy Williams (7),
Charley Pride (6),
Jose Feliciano (5),
Edgar Winter (4),
Johnny Winter (3),
Santana (3),
Bob Dylan (3),
Mountain (3),
Barry Manilow (3),
Dolly Parton/Porter Wagoner (3),
Dave Mason (3),
Isley Brothers (2),
Janis Ian (2),
Melissa Manchester (2),
Michael Nesmith (2),
Ray Stevens (2),
Charlie McCoy (2),
Jerry Reed (2),
Jefferson Airplane (2),
Blood Sweat & Tears (2),
Byrds "Byrdmaniax",
Billy Joel "Turnstiles",
Blue Öyster Cult "Tyranny & Mutation",
Janis Joplin "Pearl",
New Riders Of The Purple Sage "The Adventures Of Panama Red",
MFSB "Love Is The Message",
Buddy Miles "Chapter VII",
John Denver "Poems, Prayers & Promises",
Liza Minnelli "The Singer",
Lee Michaels "Nice Day For Something",
Michael Martin Murphey "Swans Against The Sun",
The Youngbloods "Best Of",
The Nite-Liters S/T,
David Clayton-Thomas S/T,
Stanley Turrentine "Don't Mess With Mister T.",
Ramsey Lewis Trio "Upendo Ni Pamoja",
Tanya Tucker's Greatest Hits,
Charlie Rich "Best Of",
Nina Simone "Best Of",
Stephen Michael Schwartz S/T,
Poco "Deliverin'",
Eric Carmen S/T,
Neil Diamond "Serenade",
Labelle "Phoenix",
Loggins & Messina "Native Sons",
Herbie Hancock "Secrets",
Brecker Brothers Band "Back To Back",
B.T. Express "Energy To Burn",
The Manhattans "It Feels So Good",
Maynard Ferguson "Conquistador",
Wild Cherry "Electrified Funk"...

Just a heads-up for those late to the table on this title, or just recently got into quad- and other multichannel as I did: this box set is now OOP and unavailable. Lowest available price on eBay is $170, with the sold listings showing the following:

$155 (May 2, new)
$111 (April 30, used)
$176 (April 18, used)
$210 (April 12, new)
$118 (March 31, new)
$123 (March 23, used)
$150 (March 14, new)
$132 (March 4, used)

That said, I found one retailer that appears to have stock, and while it is more expensive than original release price, it's lower than the above eBay results. I had some trepidation as they don't have the greatest rep onlinr.

I ordered one from Dig! (France) on April 22 for 98 euros shipped (US$105). It shipped on April 25 and arrived about an hour ago. Brand new, sealed, with hype sticker, and as of today (May 4) they still show it available for order.

So if anyone else waited or has been looking for one and didn't want to go the eBay route, here you go...

https://shop.thisisdig.com/fr/dig/the-doobie-brothers-quadio-boxed-set/0603497857975.html
Also shows on the Dig uk site at £64.99, looks like identical listings just in £ as opposed to euros

there's still a fair few CBS Quads either Sony Japan and/or Dutton Vocalion could do, including..

Elvis Presley (9),
Barbra Streisand (8),
Johnny Mathis (8),
Andy Williams (7),
Charley Pride (6),
Jose Feliciano (5),
Edgar Winter (4),
Johnny Winter (3),
Santana (3),
Bob Dylan (3),
Mountain (3),
Barry Manilow (3),
Dave Mason (3),
Isley Brothers (2),
Janis Ian (2),
Melissa Manchester (2),
Michael Nesmith (2),
Ray Stevens (2),
Charlie McCoy (2),
Jerry Reed (2),
Jefferson Airplane (2),
Blood Sweat & Tears (2),
Byrds "Byrdmaniax",
Billy Joel "Turnstiles",
Janis Joplin "Pearl",
The Nite-Liters S/T,
Charlie Rich "Best Of",
Nina Simone "Best Of",
Poco "Deliverin'",
Eric Carmen S/T,
Neil Diamond "Serenade",
Labelle "Phoenix",
Don't forget the Aerosmith titles that were released in Quad up to and including "Rocks". Those titles and a Presley box set would be "mind blowing" to me!

Elvis Presley (9),
Barbra Streisand (8),
Johnny Mathis (8),
Andy Williams (7),
Charley Pride (6),
Jose Feliciano (5),
Edgar Winter (4),
Johnny Winter (3),
Santana (3),
Bob Dylan (3),
Mountain (3),
Barry Manilow (3),
Dave Mason (3),
Isley Brothers (2),
Janis Ian (2),
Melissa Manchester (2),
Michael Nesmith (2),
Ray Stevens (2),
Charlie McCoy (2),
Jerry Reed (2),
Jefferson Airplane (2),
Blood Sweat & Tears (2),
Byrds "Byrdmaniax",
Billy Joel "Turnstiles",
Janis Joplin "Pearl",
The Nite-Liters S/T,
Charlie Rich "Best Of",
Nina Simone "Best Of",
Poco "Deliverin'",
Eric Carmen S/T,
Neil Diamond "Serenade",
Labelle "Phoenix",
More titles than I thought (forgot about all the RCA/Arista stuff Sony controls now) but not many there I'm willing to pay SonyJP prices for, TBH.

Hopefully D-V gets to release most of those.

Last edited:
I sure could use a second pressing of Chicago Quadio. Missed out in that one first time around and been amazed it never became affordable along the way…
IMHO it was always affordable, considering the number of albums included, some of which originally two record sets. Long before the box set was released CTA came out as a single DTS DVD disc. I remember paying $100 for a copy of that one alone!

More titles than I thought (forgot about all the RCA/Arista stuff Sony controls now) but not many there I'm willing to pay SonyJP prices for, TBH.

Hopefully D-V gets to release most of those.
true.. i fear financial viability/commercial appeal may be among the issues, alongside rights issues and/or missing tapes, in a number of instances of Quads that are potentially available 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back