Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon Italy shipping today, so I should get mine by...June 7th?
lol

I don't care, I saved money and that's all that matters with current expenses as I just laid out over $800 for Elton John tickets for a 6,000 capacity venue as well as F1 Montreal race coming up in two weeks and that always rapes me of at least a grand.

Disappointed to hear the general consensus on the surround mix, I would have been of the best version/gravy mindset too had the info on the prebounce tapes not surfaced...but when I heard that I expected greatness and a new reference surround title. :(

Still excited to hear the two tracks generally being described as ace bananas.

:banana:

Well, Amazon has pulled it off. Last night at midnight it said it just arrived to Kenosha, Wisconsin. I was like...no chance it will make it to my post office this morning. But....just got alert that it's there and out for delivery. :) Oh, and a couple Hendrix albums too.
USPS today.JPG

It just got here!!! :banana:

18700668_10155169816770499_6088261655339603138_o.jpg

So far, I'm up to Lucy and the 5.1 mix is very nice. I guess it comes down to expectations. My first thoughts are 'Respectful', 'Familiar' and 'Exactly how I think JPGR would've done it if they'd had the tech' back then'.

Mine is out for delivery today:banana::banana::banana:

I live on the edge of my town, and as a result, USPS typically drops off at my house around 3PM. We have warm/wet weather today...I have little interest on that box sitting out in the weather. Yes, I may have to go home at noon and wait. :smokin

I live on the edge of my town, and as a result, USPS typically drops off at my house around 3PM. We have warm/wet weather today...I have little interest on that box sitting out in the weather. Yes, I may have to go home at noon and wait. :smokin

Talked to BullMoose and their shipment didn't arrive in time to honor the early deliveries..... Glad yours is out for you today, just left my p.o. box and no Sgt. Pepper for me :(. Anyhow I'm being refunded my expedited cost and I'm happy about that and I did receive from Australia another copy of Quadrophenia Blu-Ray Pure Audio.

Came home early, just in time for the mail truck to come up my driveway with the big box from Amazon!!!

Packed extremely well. Box in a box. No damage to corners.

Going up to PC first, then for playback on the "big system". MORE LATER!! :cool:

Good God! Some body please listen to it! Let me know??? I'm not able to get mine yet.:(
going nuts-help!! ( I got that one!)

OK. Here's a look at RIP ONE. The two singles. The left side of the wav is STRAWBERRY FIELDS and the right side is PENNY LANE.

Wow. Very impressed WITH BOTH!!!! :) (y) (y)

Penny Lane sounds great and to me is nicely discrete. Very little lead vocals in the rear, and the flutes! Wow. So clear. You can hear the players breathe. And the brass is in the back. Quite nice. I am feeling much better about this project - so far!!

StrwFlds Wavs.jpg

Get RIPPED Jon, get RIPPED!

lol...keep em coming! :)

TRACK ONE: Sgt Pepper!! Not terribly discrete. Seems a bit loud on the PC. Pending listening on a real audio system!
I love hearing Paul's vocal blast from the center channel.

Sgt Pepper Intro.jpg

TRACK TWO: With a Little Help from My Friends

This track sounds great as well. No gimmicks atol! :) Ringo primarily in the center, and the chorus "Do you need anybody" is in all four corners, a bit more isolated in the rears, but it sounds like it is coming from all around you, so it's nice. It's not soley in the back which some mixers tend to do and I usually like, but this sounds, er,.............right. Again, still listening on the PC.

WALHFMF.jpg

TRACK THREE: Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds

OK. This one is a bit of a disappointment. :( Only because I think it could be so much better. It's not that it sounds bad, but the surround could have been done better. Oh well............

Lucy.jpg

TRACK FOUR: Getting Better

"It's Getting Better" - um, not really. :(

Getting Better.jpg

A quick note to everyone receiving the box set today. The discs are in the album cover. There is nothing written anywhere indicating this, and the cover is sealed. But it's not actually a 12" vinyl record inside. This alarmed me at first.

TRACK FIVE: Fixing a Hole

Now it IS getting better. Nice mix on this one. The circled area is the guitar part after "where it will go - o", you know, dum-dum-dum-dum-dum (or whatever). Nicely loud in the rears only!!

Fixing a Hole.jpg

A quick note to everyone receiving the box set today. The discs are in the album cover. There is nothing written anywhere indicating this, and the cover is sealed. But it's not actually a 12" vinyl record inside. This alarmed me at first.

Me too, I thought there was an LP in there!

TRACK SIX: She's Leaving Home

Not a super surround mix. I have to admit that an old school quad mix (like Billy Joel Piano Man Q8 type) of the orchestra only in the rears would sound wonky these days, and the overall presentation is nice, the fact that the "we never thought of ourselves, never a thought for ourselves" is not skewed towards the rears kinda misses a surround expectation on the track. The fullness of the orchestra does sound quite nice. This is not the sped up version, btw.

SLH.jpg

Back