Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TRACK SEVEN: Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite

Not bad but there are two sections in this song where they could have gone a bit more aggressive, borderline gimmicky, but they didn't. I suppose the cherish crowd will be glad they did. It's not bad by any stretch, but again, maybe a bit more "Love"-like could have applied on this one.

MrKite.jpg

TRACK EIGHT: Within You and Without You

Not a song I've every really been a fan of in the past. It does sound very good here and there are Indian elements that move around the listening area in a classic quad era fashion. Still, I never thought it was much of a song, so that might make my review of this one a bit skewed. Again, I'm listening on the PC still.....

Within U.jpg

TRACK NINE: When I'm Sixty Four

This one is pretty good surround wise. No vocals in the rears, but almost everything that's in the rears is also in the fronts.
The clarinets are clear as a bell, but they're both mostly in the front right speaker. It would have been nice to split them but I would guess that the tape element with the clarinets was recorded together and splitting them to put one in the front left and one in the front right was not possible. Today each one would have been recorded separately but back then I am sure they were recorded together, and that's how they stay today.

64.jpg

It arrived an hour ago and I have listened to the 5.1 on the Blu Ray. My opinion is that it is exceptional, outstanding, perfect and I would not change a thing. Giles got it right. The high point is the duck quacking in my left ear. I can finally smell the sawdust on BFTBOMK. The swarmandal in SFF is also outstanding running through my brain in the rears. Here is my unboxing video that is not very good, I was in too big a hurry.

https://youtu.be/zGxpMKF7M2c

Ordered my copy on May 17th from MusicDirect with their 20% off and free shipping option and my copy was waiting on my doorstep when I got up [was UP ALL night listening to Song From the Woods, Harry Styles new album and Djabe].

Can't wait to give it a proper listen.

It arrived an hour ago and I have listened to the 5.1 on the Blu Ray. My opinion is that it is exceptional, outstanding, perfect and I would not change a thing. Giles got it right. The high point is the duck quacking in my left ear. I can finally smell the sawdust on BFTBOMK. The swarmandal in SFF is also outstanding running through my brain in the rears. Here is my unboxing video that is not very good, I was in too big a hurry.

What....no 3D video????:yikes

When I saw the knife come out of the drawer I though I was being treated to a found footage slasher film!.

Exciting times, these.

TRACK TEN: Lovely Rita

This one sounds nice. The vocals dead center and the Ah's from all around, not just the backs. Again, a full sound as opposed to a very discrete sound. It fits nice with the material and again, one has to remember that this was not an original huge multi-track recording source.

rita.jpg

TRACK ELEVEN: Good Morning, Good Morning

The starting roosters are in the center and fronts, not the rears. All of the vocals are in the fronts, including the "Good Morning"s. The rears have mostly the orchestra, but the orchestra is also in the fronts. However, there are animal sounds at the end that move around sweeping from the front to the rear left. At the end of the song, the clucking is now in the rears as the song segues into the next tune, the reprise.

good morning.jpg

TRACK TWELVE: Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band Reprise

Much like the first track, big full sound like a concert. Not much for surround, but perfect for what it is.

Sgt reprise.jpg

TRACK THIRTEEN: A Day in the Life

Of course, the masterpiece of the album. Wow. This sounds great, and I cued up the LOVE version for a direct comparison as that was my go to version in the past, but this is so much better. At least, I think so. There are little things like the middle section "Woke up, got out of bed". In the LOVE version, Paul's vocal is in the rears. Not here. Only instruments. The better levels on this version make the work sound much richer. As I said, it's my opinion so you may think otherwise.

Look at the end of the wav file and you can see the run out groove and the extra bits from the UK album.

day life.jpg

Thanks Tom. I hope your cat enjoys the Amazon shipping box as much as you like the 5.1 Blu Ray.

Bull Moose came through with delivery on the release date. I accosted the postman as he drove up to my mailbox. :) He had the box set along with some useless other mail called bills.

So, I'm off to listen on real audio equipment! :)

I posted these wav's so y'all could see what to expect and notice that there is no noticeable brickwalling or over modulation. These wav's were ripped via MakeMKV and AudioMuxer. They are as ripped.

This is a 50 year old album that has an important place in music history and the 5.1 mix does a splendid job of presenting the music in a manner that gives that heritage respect. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I am sure I will.

Now, go forth and LISTEN!!! :smokin

One last thing for the wav file fans. Here is a look at A DAY IN THE LIFE, Love version (top) vs 2017 Version.

OK. I'm done. :phones

compare.jpg

Bullmoose included a poster in a padded envelope taped to the outside of the shipping box. Unfortunately, the left and right edges are both crinkled due to the soft envelope. It looks like the damaged area could be covered by a matte though. Now to go listen.

Careful with that knife, dont want to hurt the cat, and yourself.

One last thing for the wav file fans. Here is a look at A DAY IN THE LIFE, Love version (top) vs 2017 Version.

OK. I'm done. :phones

View attachment 29464
These graphs confirm my listening, the Love version will be my goto version. Not a lot of difference, but Love has more discreteness, especially nice is the aaaahs. The new mix kind of just sits there. It's pleasant, but coulda shoulda been better.

EXTREME Kudos to Maestros Giles Martin and Sam Okell for what I consider to be one of the BEST, if NOT the best, BD~A on the market. IMO, they've nailed it with a Sgt. Pepper for the NEW millennium. On my system, it sounds extraordinary. Like it was recorded yesterday.

I sincerely hope Universal releases this as a stand alone BD~A for those who didn't spring for the boxset. If this BD~A singlehandedly doesn't propel other artists who have been sitting on the sidelines to RECONSIDER remixing their back catalogues into 5.1 [or beyond] then I don't know what will.

I did apply a +5db bass boost which really gives Ringo's extraordinary drumming much needed gravitas but other than that, this is the BEST [and then some] that I've ever 'experienced' this landmark album.

The packaging is brilliant replete with the 3D lenticular dust cover.

Some of the BEST money I've ever spent. Actually, a bargain, IMO.

A Ten PLUS!

Back