Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 50th Anniversary Reissue (with 5.1 surround mix)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly! haha. Well, apparently if you order from Bullmoose, Bullmoose decided to include a poster of the band. Mine was "lazily" strapped to the outside of the box in a vanilla envelope...and it was torn and creased.

This poster? That was inside the box (Made in EU):

Attachments

• Poster.JPG
    Poster.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 209
I HAVE AN ORIGINAL (DAMAGED 1ST SONGS) oops ..all caps!!...Spanish Mono pressing which is signed in the gatefold by a bunch of friends , who I'm guessing, listened to it in June 1967 (it even has a date on it, June something 1967...) would love to find out anybody from that group and find out what became of them...I'll post a photo soon..it's really interesting...maybe someone famous was part of the group..it was like 20 people! back when a record cost money...

Last edited:
No, all boxes have that poster. I guess I need to take a picture...
697CAD14-ED78-4DBE-B66B-04DA7053D960.jpg

Well yea my box has it but 4 times bigger and without the white border, looks like some sets it got left out so they have tried to give you this in addition, but I think you've been short changed there. Here's a quick photo:

PepperPosters.jpg

No - I got all of that stuff inside too. I'm guessing the additional poster was a record store promotional item that Bull Moose decided to include as a nice gesture.

Well yea my box has it but 4 times bigger and without the white border, looks like some sets it got left out so they have tried to give you this in addition, but I think you've been short changed there. Here's a quick photo:

PepperPosters.jpg

No, I got all those. I was only commenting on the additional poster sent along with the box by the Moose.

I'm too busted to afford this, but has anyone attempted to run the stereo remix through Dolby Pro-logic II Game. It may be sacrilege, but that's what I use for casual and not so casual stereo playback these days.

Cheers, Michael

I had a dream last night that I listened to the mono disc in this deluxe set and that it sounded much better than the 5.1 (lmao)
Maybe that's my cue to get out the other discs and see what they are all about. :)
I finally broke down and listened to the mono version this morning. I liked it better than I thought I would but it still sucks compared to the surround version.

At least you haven't pissed anyone off you big huggy bear.
I've been temporarily banned there several times as well as AVS.
Been a number of years though.

I have learned 2 things.
It doesn't matter and more importantly, don't post a rant after a few cocktails as the Scottish can get my back up, laddie. :)

Most everyone on internet forums has posted crap they regret, I wonder about the ones who don't seem to.
I gotta tell you are there are some totally insane people over there. Some think the whole package is ruined because they used an inferior copy of the Penny Lane promo. And everyone there has 5 mint copies of the promo already.:mad:@:

Now, after NOT getting a response from CDJapan with my OK for additional shipping charges, I panicked, ordered another, thinking I could cancel when they respond. They responded, both are already shipped as of yesterday, Japan time. What a mess, now two Japanese editions are on the way, probably will get Wednesday. Anybody have any experience sending back to CDJapan ?

I'm too busted to afford this, but has anyone attempted to run the stereo remix through Dolby Pro-logic II Game. It may be sacrilege, but that's what I use for casual and not so casual stereo playback these days.

Cheers, Michael

I don't have PLII Game, but I did play the stereo remix through PLIIx Music and Logic7. The 5.1 mix (with the surrounds juiced by 3dB or more) sounds much more satisfying. Hope you can find some way to come up with the money for the big box.

I finally broke down and listened to the mono version this morning. I liked it better than I thought I would but it still sucks compared to the surround version.

You must remember there was no stereo then. It was but only in movies! everyone had mono record players, and AM radio was the thing. One mono speaker. It was not until a few years later stereo became available to us. The old man worked at GE where I live years ago they made radios here, and he brought home a GE stereo, with FM! There was no FM radio then. I can remember going thru the FM dial and nothing came back. This music I first heard in Mono. I loved the shit out of it! Did not know better! So, to say the mono version 'sucks" is a wrong statement, it should be the mono version is not close to the 5.1 version. That was made from mono master.
If you look you will see the absolute inferior recording equipment they had then. So, although I have not had the chance to hear it yet, I will never forget the day my friend played it for me the very 1st time. I was 16 and this music was new! It was different, this was not the Beatles I knew. The very reason I am so passionate over this album.

Now, after NOT getting a response from CDJapan with my OK for additional shipping charges, I panicked, ordered another, thinking I could cancel when they respond. They responded, both are already shipped as of yesterday, Japan time. What a mess, now two Japanese editions are on the way, probably will get Wednesday. Anybody have any experience sending back to CDJapan ?

That sucks! What did you end up paying for each set?

You think not opening this box set yet is bad? Look what else I purchased of The Beatles that I've yet to open.

image.jpg

Plus, I have others on DVD in a box stored in the garage including another copy of A Hard Day's Night.

Disappointed this isn't a 5.1 mix done with a clean palatte and not trying to keep another mix (stereo or mono) in mind - BUT I was really surprised by how clear this sounds compared to every other version I've listened to. It's definitely mastered too loud but it's not so bad that you can't enjoy it on your main system (ie - don't have to relegate it to the crappy factory car system). The 5.1 mix seems to have a little less aggressive mastering and I believe this and the 2014 mono will be my go to versions from now on.

I'm definitely going to try the boosting the surrounds by 3dB and have another listen - I really like the authorative bass coming through the LFE channel, Lovely Rita sounds fab...so nice and deep.

Hard to score this one, disappointed by the surround mix overall but wasn't expecting everything to sound so clear, obviously the pre-bounce tapes were in pretty excellent condition.

Cheers, Michael

I ran the new stereo tracks through SpecWeb upmixer and it turned out really good, other than being so darn loud. Not one wonky sound and it separates out very nicely. Still waiting for the Blu-ray.

Geoff Emerick's take on this!!!!
[video=youtube_share;D5caf6mAACA]https://youtu.be/D5caf6mAACA[/video]

the interviewer wouldn't let him continue/elaborate on that tack but i wonder what he objects to about this new reissue so much?! is he anti the remix itself? or it being remixed in 5.1? disgusting's a strong word..

I watched that entire video but had to keep replaying certain parts because I couldn't believe what I was hearing. On top of that, you should never talk about someone else's drug use except your own. That's a very private issue, even with someone in the public spotlight.

I gotta tell you are there are some totally insane people over there. Some think the whole package is ruined because they used an inferior copy of the Penny Lane promo. And everyone there has 5 mint copies of the promo already.:mad:@:
Proof of this insanity is that someone over there quoted my post about liking the surround mix by telling me he hated the surround mix because he could not stand the "crowd noise" in the rears. "Crowd noise"????

Back